News
JUST IN: Tinubu to implement Oronsaye report, to scrap, merge many govt agencies
President Bola Tinubu has resolved to implement the Stephen Oronsaye report that called for a leaner government by merging some agencies and scrapping some others.
The president’s decision was announced by a presidential spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga, in a post on X.
“Twelve years after the Steve Oronsaye panel submitted its report on restructuring and rationalizing Federal government parastatals and agencies and a white paper issued two years after, President Tinubu and the Federal Executive Council today decided to implement the report,” Mr Onanuga wrote.
“Many agencies will be scrapped and many others will be merged, to pave the way to a leaner government,” he said.
Also, briefing State House correspondents after Monday’s meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC), the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, said some Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) would be scrapped, merged or subsumed into relevant organisations of government.
He said the aim was only to cut costs and not to throw Nigerians into the labour market.
Mr Idris said the details of the affected MDAs would be made known soon, adding that a committee had been set up for the implementation of the report.
Background…
In 2011, former President Goodluck Jonathan set up the presidential committee on the reformation of government agencies chaired by Steven Oronsaye, a former Head of Service of the Federation.
Its terms of reference included, among others, examining the enabling Acts and mandates of all the federal agencies, parastatals, and commissions to determine areas of overlap or duplication of functions.
The committee, in its report, recommended that of the 541 Statutory and Non-Statutory Federal Government Parastatals, Agencies and Commissions, 263 statutory agencies should be reduced to 161, 38 agencies should be abolished, 52 agencies should be merged, and 14 should revert to departments in ministries.
A white paper committee, headed by the then Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke, reviewed the report and rejected most of the recommendations of the committee when it submitted its report in 2014.
However, even the accepted recommendations were not implemented until the Jonathan administration left office in 2015.
In 2021, the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari inaugurated two committees to implement the report. One of the committees, headed by a former Head of Service, Bukar Aji, was mandated to review the Oronsaye Report and the government white paper. The other committee, chaired by Amal Pepple, was mandated to review MDAs created between 2014 and 2021.
The then Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, in July 2022, set up another white paper committee, headed by Ebele Okeke, to review the report of the Pepple committee. However, the Buhari administration failed to implement the report.
While the discourse on the implementation of the report was ongoing, the National Assembly and successive governments have been creating agencies and institutions, therefore, increasing the cost of governance in the process.
The consequence of the bloated government has been the steady increase in the recurrent expenditure of the federal government.
Critics have also accused Mr Tinubu of not willing to reform the civil service. Many refer to the appointment of 50 ministers by Mr Tinubu to buttress the point.
Aside from the appointments, Mr Tinubu also embarked on some frivolous budgetary expenses, most notably the allocation of N344 billion to the National Assembly in the 2024 budget and spending billions on the renovation of his official residence and that of his deputy.
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, in a statement he posted on X on Sunday, slammed President Tinubu for failing to reduce the size of government, as done by Argentine President Javier Milei.
“He (Milei) started off cutting government expenditure by reducing the size of government and wastage; blocked stealing of government funds, and attracted Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) through concessions, tax holidays, and improved ease of doing business,” Atiku said.
In a recent editorial, the Tinubu administration said it will implement the Oronsaye report as a way of cutting the cost of running the government.
Expected opposition…
Meanwhile, organised labour groups are expected to kick against the latest move by President Tinubu because the policy may lead to the loss of jobs.
Workers in Nigeria are already grappling with the cost of living crisis due to some of the policies of the current administration, notably the fuel subsidy removal and foreign exchange unification policy.
The two main unions in Nigeria, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC), are set to embark on nationwide protests against economic hardship.
News
UNICEF Lauds Nigeria’s Remarkable Progress in Birth Registration (Photos)
ighlights 14 Million Children Registered in Two Years.
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has commended Nigeria for achieving a significant milestone in child rights, with 14 million children’s births officially registered over the past two years.

This surge represents impressive advancement in ensuring every child is counted and recognized through legal identity.
The announcement came during a courtesy visit by UNICEF Country Representative to Nigeria, Ms. Wafaa Saeed Abdelatef, to Senator Oluremi Tinubu, the First Lady of Nigeria, at the State House in Abuja.
Ms. Abdelatef praised the First Lady’s exemplary leadership in championing children’s issues and family welfare nationwide. She described the progress in birth registration as unprecedented in her experience across various countries.

“Birth registration is the first right of every child—to be counted and recognized,” she stated. “It is really impressive. I have served in many places, but I have not seen such progress in two years as we have witnessed here in Nigeria.
“She highlighted key enablers of this success, including the digitalization of the registration system at health facilities and community levels, as well as ongoing legislative efforts with a relevant bill before the National Assembly.

“Things don’t just happen like that; we scale with leadership,” she added, expressing gratitude for the First Lady’s role in driving this initiative and allowing UNICEF to celebrate this “fantastic leadership.
“The UNICEF representative also acknowledged the First Lady’s broader contributions, referencing her involvement in initiatives such as the national library and food bank launches, as well as commendations from African women leaders at the African Union for her continental impact.

She linked these efforts to Nigeria’s Renewed Hope Agenda, which she said is instilling hope for children and citizens alike.In response, Senator Oluremi Tinubu welcomed UNICEF’s recognition and reaffirmed her commitment to ensuring universal birth registration. “Every child counts,” she emphasized, noting that registration immediately after birth grants children nationality, legal identity, and access to essential services like health and education.
The First Lady described the news as a source of joy and a foundation for national development. “This is how nations develop,” she said. While celebrating the gains, she stressed the need for sustained efforts: “We are not there yet. We have to keep at it and make sure every child is counted.
“She pointed out that birth registration is just the starting point, extending to the issuance of birth certificates. Highlighting Nigeria’s lack of a recent census, she noted that starting with children would provide critical data on the child population to guide government planning and resource allocation.
Senator Tinubu also addressed persistent challenges, expressing concern over persistently high rates of tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and maternal and child mortality in Nigeria’s large population.
“These numbers are still high, and it is worrisome,” she said, while assuring that the administration is actively working to position the country for a better future.
She expressed appreciation for UNICEF’s longstanding support and reliable data, pledging continued collaboration in any area of mutual interest. “In any area you want us to collaborate, we are here,” she affirmed. “We want to thank UNICEF for the interest and the work you have done.
“This development underscores Nigeria’s ongoing push toward universal civil registration, aligning with global goals to provide legal identity for all children and support broader child rights and development objectives.
News
Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun
Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.
News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.
Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
News
Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
•Kehinde Jacob Faledon
Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.
Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.
“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.
“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.
-
News3 days agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
News3 days agoDSS suit against SERAP adjourns indefinitely
-
Politics3 days agoRivers lawmakers halt impeachment of Fubara and Odu, following Tinubu’s interventions
-
Business3 days agoNAFDAC Seals 18 Warehouses Over Expired Products in Niger State
-
News3 days agoSenator Mpigi Dies at 64
-
International3 days agoTrump kicks off his ‘Board of Peace,’ as war clouds loom on Iran
-
Business3 days agoWema Bank Announces Grand Event for International Women’s Day 2026 on March 4
-
Politics2 days agoAbuja Area Council Elections Hold Tomorrow
