Business
JUST IN: CBN Frowns At Exporting Without Documentation, as Proceeds hits $5.6bn
The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, has warned exporters and shipping companies to desist from exporting without documentation, saying, “What this does is to reduce the export earning potentials of the country.”
Emefiele made the call today during the Bi-Annual RT200 Non-Oil Export Summit in Abuja.
The CBN boss said: “we keep hearing cases of people trying as much as possible to sidestep the process.
“All I can do now is to appeal to those of us who want to export without documentation to please try as much as possible to desist from this practice.
“We will continue to engage customs, we will continue to engage Nigerian Ports Authority and we will continue to engage the shipping lines and agents to ensure that we nip in the bud the incidences of exporting without documentation.”
Emefiele recalls a meeting of the bank with the shipping lines : “About three years ago when we had a meeting at the CBN in Lagos with the shipping lines, I had said that the CBN will be beaming searchlight on undocumented exports.
“And we had advised the shipping lines at that meeting that we will also be monitoring and if we find that they export without documentation we will fine them by placing their accounts on Post No Debit order.
“We have so far not done anything like that, because we feel that our shipping lines will be responsible to do what is right.
“However, if we do not see the kind of cooperation that we expect, I will have to insist that we do what we need to do.”
He disclosed that the export proceeds repatriation into the country increased by 40 per cent from $3 billion in 2021 to $5.6 billion at the end of 2022.
The CBN Governor added that the momentum for 2023 was equally showing strong numbers and impressive prospects.
“In the first quarter of 2023, a total of US$1.7 billion was repatriated to the economy while about $790 million was sold at the Investors and Exporters window year-to-date.”
Emefiele said the balance of the proceeds remained in the Export Domiciliary Accounts of exporters, noting that proceeds that were not sold at the Investors and Exporters window (I&E) could not and would not be eligible for the rebate.
He urged those holding their export proceeds in their domiciliary accounts to take advantage of the rebate by selling them at the I&E Window.
He expressed the bank’s continued commitment and assurance to strengthening and expanding foreign exchange supply into the market.
Babajide Sanwo-Olu Commends CBN’s RT200 FX programme
Also at the event, Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, commended the CBN for its introduction of the programme.
He said that it was a critical step for diversifying the economy.
Sanwo-Olu was represented by the Lagos State Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget, Samuel Egube.
He stated that it would also increase the capacity of the non-oil sector to generate more foreign exchange earnings, boost economic growth, and stabilise the economy generally.
Business
IEA chief warns Oil market could enter ‘red zone’ by July as stocks dwindle ahead of summer travel season
Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz..
•Faith Birol
Fatih Birol, executive director of the International Energy Agency (IEA) warned on Thursday that the oil markets could soon enter a “red zone” as global stocks deplete and as demand picks up during the summer travel season.
Birol’s comments came during a Chatham House session on the Strait of Hormuz crisis and global energy security.
Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz.
” If it fails to reopen and no new oil is coming online from the Middle East, an ongoing drawdown in global stockpiles combined with an uptick in demand during the summer travel season means oil markets “may be entering the red zone in July or August,” Birol said, without elaborating further.
The IEA has previously said the global market is facing the most severe disruption in its history. That’s despite, Birol said, the market having benefitted from being in the “fortunate” position of entering the crisis with a surplus to help absorb the shock. These stocks, however, are now eroding, Birol said.
Typically, roughly 20% of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes through the Strait of Hormuz, but shipping traffic has virtually halted since U.S. and Israeli-led strikes against Iran started on Feb. 28.
The IEA chief said the “biggest pain of this crisis will be felt in developing Asia and Africa,” adding that he was just as concerned about the impact of the Iran war on global food security as he was on energy security.
Business
Femi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
The Chairman of First HoldCo, Femi Otedola, said on Wednesday “From on a personal note, I’ve appealed to him (Aliko Dangote to allocate to me shares worth $100 million private placement, ahead of the Refinery’s initial public offer.”
“That’s one of the reasons I sold my stake in Geregu plant to come and invest my proceeds in the IPO of Dangote refinery.”
Otedola told journalists when he led top executives of First HoldCo on a tour of the refinery and the fertiliser plans in the Lekki free trade zone area.
The team also visited key project sites such as the jetty, a facility built by Dangote industries to receive large vessels.
The private placement is the latest announcement in the refinery’s Initial Public Offering plan, IPO expected later in the year.
Business
CBN Holds Benchmark Interest Rate at 26.5% Amid Renewed Inflation Concerns
The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has retained the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 26.5 per cent, maintaining the current stance after its two-day meeting that ended on Wednesday, May 20, 2026.
CBN Governor Olayemi Cardoso announced the decision, noting that the committee voted unanimously to hold all key parameters unchanged. The asymmetric corridor around the MPR remains at +500/-450 basis points, the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) stays at 45 per cent for commercial banks and 16 per cent for merchant banks, while the liquidity ratio is retained at 30 per cent.
The hold comes as headline inflation rose for a second consecutive month to 15.69 per cent in April 2026, up from previous levels, driven largely by food inflation at 16.06 per cent and higher transportation costs. Cardoso emphasised the need for a cautious and vigilant approach to anchor inflation expectations and safeguard macroeconomic stability.
This decision aligns with analysts’ expectations ahead of the 305th MPC meeting and follows the first rate cut in years implemented in February 2026, when the MPR was reduced by 50 basis points to the current 26.5 per cent.
The CBN Governor highlighted ongoing reforms, exchange rate stability, and efforts to improve food supply as factors supporting the disinflation process, even as global and domestic risks persist. The next MPC meeting is expected in July.
The retention signals the apex bank’s priority on taming inflation while monitoring the impact of previous policy actions on the broader economy.
-
Business2 days agoFemi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
-
Sports3 days agoAFCON 2027 qualifiers: Nigeria to face Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau
-
News3 days agoTinubu, Shettima , Jonathan highlight political lessons from Gowon ‘s autobiography ‘My Life of Duty and Allegiance.’
-
Politics2 days agoAtiku Appears Before ADC Presidential Screening Panel
-
Business2 days agoSouth African pension fund expresses interest in Dangote IPO
-
Politics2 days agoGov Fubara withdrawals from governorship race
-
Entertainment2 days agoWizkid Becomes First African Artist to Surpass 11 Billion Spotify Streams
-
Entertainment2 days ago‘God Took Him’ — Singer Niniola Announces Death of Husband Michael Ndika
