News
Ikeja DISCO restores power at Air Force Base
Now that we have reinstalled the prepaid meter, we have restored the supply. Henceforth, they will only use the electricity they pay for.
There is electricity now at the Nigerian Airforce Base Ikeja, Lagos.
The Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company, Ikeja DISCO, restored power to the Base following the disconnection last week over a N4.3 billion debts.
Vanguard reports that though, the disputed bill has not been paid, there are interventions to settle and offset the bill.
Vanguard was reliably informed that pre-paid meters were installed at the Base, on Wednesday, before power was restored.
Sources at the Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company told Vanguard “We have installed a prepaid meter, just like the Army cantonment template, at the Air Force Base in Ikeja.
Now that we have reinstalled the prepaid meter, we have restored the supply. Henceforth, they will only use the electricity they pay for.
“Before now, we tried to reduce the debt by suggesting installing a prepaid meter, but they did not allow us to do it.
“However, because a customer is a customer, we will continue to have a relationship with them.
“Regarding the debt payment and the issue that happened last week, that may not be immediate because as an arm of the Federal Government, most of those issues don’t happen here in Lagos, but in Abuja.
The immediate problem has been solved, and they now have electricity and a meter.”
News
UNICEF Lauds Nigeria’s Remarkable Progress in Birth Registration (Photos)
ighlights 14 Million Children Registered in Two Years.
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has commended Nigeria for achieving a significant milestone in child rights, with 14 million children’s births officially registered over the past two years.

This surge represents impressive advancement in ensuring every child is counted and recognized through legal identity.
The announcement came during a courtesy visit by UNICEF Country Representative to Nigeria, Ms. Wafaa Saeed Abdelatef, to Senator Oluremi Tinubu, the First Lady of Nigeria, at the State House in Abuja.
Ms. Abdelatef praised the First Lady’s exemplary leadership in championing children’s issues and family welfare nationwide. She described the progress in birth registration as unprecedented in her experience across various countries.

“Birth registration is the first right of every child—to be counted and recognized,” she stated. “It is really impressive. I have served in many places, but I have not seen such progress in two years as we have witnessed here in Nigeria.
“She highlighted key enablers of this success, including the digitalization of the registration system at health facilities and community levels, as well as ongoing legislative efforts with a relevant bill before the National Assembly.

“Things don’t just happen like that; we scale with leadership,” she added, expressing gratitude for the First Lady’s role in driving this initiative and allowing UNICEF to celebrate this “fantastic leadership.
“The UNICEF representative also acknowledged the First Lady’s broader contributions, referencing her involvement in initiatives such as the national library and food bank launches, as well as commendations from African women leaders at the African Union for her continental impact.

She linked these efforts to Nigeria’s Renewed Hope Agenda, which she said is instilling hope for children and citizens alike.In response, Senator Oluremi Tinubu welcomed UNICEF’s recognition and reaffirmed her commitment to ensuring universal birth registration. “Every child counts,” she emphasized, noting that registration immediately after birth grants children nationality, legal identity, and access to essential services like health and education.
The First Lady described the news as a source of joy and a foundation for national development. “This is how nations develop,” she said. While celebrating the gains, she stressed the need for sustained efforts: “We are not there yet. We have to keep at it and make sure every child is counted.
“She pointed out that birth registration is just the starting point, extending to the issuance of birth certificates. Highlighting Nigeria’s lack of a recent census, she noted that starting with children would provide critical data on the child population to guide government planning and resource allocation.
Senator Tinubu also addressed persistent challenges, expressing concern over persistently high rates of tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and maternal and child mortality in Nigeria’s large population.
“These numbers are still high, and it is worrisome,” she said, while assuring that the administration is actively working to position the country for a better future.
She expressed appreciation for UNICEF’s longstanding support and reliable data, pledging continued collaboration in any area of mutual interest. “In any area you want us to collaborate, we are here,” she affirmed. “We want to thank UNICEF for the interest and the work you have done.
“This development underscores Nigeria’s ongoing push toward universal civil registration, aligning with global goals to provide legal identity for all children and support broader child rights and development objectives.
News
Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun
Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.
News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.
Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
News
Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
•Kehinde Jacob Faledon
Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.
Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.
“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.
“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.
-
Business2 days agoDangote Forecasts Major Naira Appreciation to ₦1,100 per Dollar in 2026
-
News1 day agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
Business3 days agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
-
Business3 days agoNRS Fixes 2028 for e- invoicing tax collections full takeoff
-
Politics2 days agoAgain, Violence Erupts at Ondo APC Congress in Idanre
-
News2 days agoGas Leaks Kill 37 Miners in Plateau, 25 Hospitalised
-
News1 day agoDSS suit against SERAP adjourns indefinitely
-
International2 days agoFive Critically Injured in Catastrophic Explosion at Upstate New York Church
