Connect with us

Business

FG to fine PoS operators N1m for illegal pricing

Published

on

451 Views

The Federal Government, through the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission, has issued a cease-and-desist order to Point of Sale operators from conduct that constitutes an infringement of the law.

This follows the move by PoS operators, under the umbrella of the Association of Mobile Money and Bank Agents in Nigeria, to fix new prices for PoS transactions.

The new pricing model began on July 17, 2023.

According to the commission, PoS operators that are found in violation of the order will pay N10m for corporate entities and N1m and, or, a prison sentence of up to three months for individuals.

The FCCPC, in a statement signed by its Executive Vice Chairman/ Chief Executive Officer, Babatunde Irukera, on Monday, said, “The Commission advises PoS operators that violation of an order of the Commission attracts additional consequences apart from the underlying illegal conduct that is the subject of the order such as up to N10,000,000 for corporate entities; and N1,000,000 and or a prison sentence of up to three months for individuals.”

The commission noted that it has not sought to limit the prerogative of PoS service providers to determine and set prices for services in a manner of their choosing, subject to Section 127 of the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Act 2018, which prohibits manifestly unjust or exploitative prices.

It stated that it respects and encourages a pricing methodology that is the product of market forces in a free, competitive, and undistorted market. However, it said there is no evidence that the PoS market lacks sufficient players or competition in Lagos or anywhere else.

The commission said, “While the Commission continues to provide consideration to, and for small businesses, enforcing the law must remain non-negotiable.

“Accordingly, the Commission, in escalating this in accordance with the FCCPA and ancillary instruments, has entered an Order & Notice (ONC) of the Commission to AMMBAN, persons identified as executives, members, and non-member PoS operators to Cease and Desist from conduct that constitutes an infringement of the law.”

It said the ONC had been served on AMMBAN. It was also noted that not all members can be personally served or will become aware through service on AMMBAN.

It further stated, “In addition, some persons, such as non-AMMBAN members, may become subject to the ONC. Accordingly, the Commission has, and is by this again publicly disseminating the ONC. Members are however invited to consider sufficiency of service of the ONC under Section 158(4) of the FCCPA which deems such service on their association or executives as adequate and acceptable.”

According to the commission, it had tried the cautious and collaborative approach but has now adopted the ONC to convey its will to enforce the law, including, and up to prosecuting violators and affiliates who may otherwise be statutorily liable for the conduct of a violating company or business.

It added, “In addition to stipulated statutory consequences, although the Commission prefers not to disrupt the business and operations of small enterprises, it will (if it becomes necessary) prohibit merchant services and privileges to PoS operators or AMMBAN members who persist in conduct that is inconsistent with law and economic efficiency.”

Business

12-years after, US clears Nigerian vessels to land at its ports

Oyetola said that removal of the restriction by the USCG followed years of effort by Nigeria to meet international maritime security standards, particularly through the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA).

Published

on

By

13 Views

The Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Adegboyega Oyetola, announced that the United States Coast Guard (USCG) has removed the Condition of Entry (CoE) imposed on Nigerian vessels from docking at its ports.

The CoE was first imposed in June 2014. Under the restriction, any vessel that had docked at designated Nigerian ports within its previous five port calls was required to meet additional security and documentation requirements before entering US waters.

Oyetola said that removal of the restriction by the USCG followed years of effort by Nigeria to meet international maritime security standards, particularly through the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA).

The removal means those extra requirements no longer apply.Four USCG assessments between 2024 and 2026

He pointed to the country’s compliance with the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code as central to the case presented to US authorities.

The USCG carried out four separate assessments of Nigeria’s ports and maritime security framework between March 2024 and April 2026.

The inspections took place in March 2024, April 2024, March 2025 and April 2026. The government said each review recorded measurable progress.

Continue Reading

Business

Naira Exchange Rates Thursday,20 August  

Published

on

By

17 Views

BLACK MARKET RATES  

US  Dollar (USD) Buy ₦1,404 Sell  ₦1,410 

Great British Pound (GBP) Buy ₦1,880 Sell: ₦1,900 

EURO (EUR) Buy ₦1,585  Sell ₦1,605 

Canadian Dollar (CAD) Buy ₦1,020 Sell ₦1,080 

South African Rand (ZAR) Buy ₦75 Sell ₦90 

Ghana Cedi (GHS) Buy ₦95 Sell ₦110 

West African CFA Buy ₦2, 300 Sell ₦2, 400 

CENTRAL AFRICAN CFA Buy ₦2,150 Sell 2,250  

CBN Exchange Rates 

US Dollar (USD) ₦1,350.41 

Great British Pound (GBP) ₦1,839.13 

EURO (EUR) ₦1,574.31 

Swiss Franc (CHF) ₦1,681.92 

Chinese Yuan (CNY) ₦200.61 

West African CFA (XOF) ₦2. 37 

West African Unit Account (WAUA) ₦1,836.21 

Saudi Riyal (SAR) ₦359.65 South African Rand (ZAR) ₦83.71

Continue Reading

Business

Oyede Tasks States To Look Beyond Federal Allocations For Economic Growth

Nigeria must move from an allocation dependent economy to one driven by production, investment and job creation,

Published

on

By

20 Views

The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Prof. Taiwo Oyedele, has said federal allocations alone cannot guarantee prosperity for states, urging them to develop sustainable sources of revenue and drive economic growth.

The Minister gave the advice during the 2026 National Council on Finance and Economic Development (NACOFED) conference in Owerri, Imo State, yesterday.

Oyedele emphasised the need for states to look beyond federal allocations and develop their productive capacities to achieve sustainable economic development.

He called for stronger fiscal federalism, improved revenue generation and economic diversification to strengthen Nigeria’s resilience to economic shocks.

“Nigeria must move from an allocation dependent economy to one driven by production, investment and job creation,” he stated.

According to him, recent economic reforms , including the removal of fuel subsidy and the unification of the foreign exchange market, have increased tremendously the revenue available for distribution through the federation account.

He said monthly federation account allocation, which was between N300 billion and N600 billion before 2023, is now above N2 trillion.

Continue Reading

Trending