Connect with us

News

Agony, Confusion as LABSCA demolishes rows of shops in Lagos community

Published

on

245 Views

Residents of Laurel School Cross, inside the Bungalow Estate axis, in the Jakande Estate area of Isolo Local Government Area, Lagos State, are counting their losses after task force officials from the Lagos State Building Control Agency demolished rows of lockup shops in their community.

Many of the affected residents, who are mostly petty traders, narrated that their sad ordeal started in the early Wednesday afternoon when dozens of LASBCA task force officials, alongside armed security officers, arrived with chainsaws and sledgehammers to demolish shops and community spaces.

Arriving at the scene on Thursday morning, many of the traders appeared traumatised as they tried to salvage some of their goods and other valuables from the debris.

Some of the traders alleged that they received no prior demolition notice from the government, while a copy of LABSCA’s demolition notice posted on their website was sighted.

The notice said that owners/developers of identified structures are given a seven-day notice to demolish the structure, and that failure to do so will result in a LABSCA taskforce clampdown

The notice read partly, “UNDERLISTED Distressed Structures in the State shall be removed by Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) having served all the statutory enforcement notices in consonance with the Lagos State Urban and Regional Planning and Development (Amendment) Law of 2019 and with no response from the respective Owner/Developer.

“Following the above, a final notice is hereby given that if the under-listed distressed structures are not removed within seven days (7) of this notice by their respective Owners/Developers in line with regulatory provision of the law, such Structure shall be removed.”

However, many of the affected victims who complained , claimed that they did not get any Demolition Notice from the agency.

One of the affected residents, simply identified as Mrs John, tearfully lamented how her source of livelihood was reduced to rubbles within a few minutes.

She said, “I’m shocked at how these people (LASBCA and security officers) came in their numbers and suddenly started demolishing our shops. They did not give us any notice. They came here, marked our building, started removing all our goods and began demolishing all the shops here in Laurel Street.”

“I am a widow and we’ve been selling foodstuffs and provisions here for over 10 years. We are law-abiding citizens and have never had any issue with government agencies. But look at how they have treated us, where do I go from here,” Mrs John cried.

Another trader, who pleaded anonymity, also lamented that they never got any notice from LABSCA.

“l never knew the government could be this cruel to the poor. We don’t know what we have done to warrant this sort of treatment.

“I’ve been trading here peacefully for many years, we never got any demolition notice from the Lagos government. So when they came to destroy our shops, we begged them to give us a few days for us to move out our goods, but they said they’ve been given express orders to bring down our shops,” the woman lamented.

Responding to the allegations, LABSCA spokesperson, Mrs. Adetayo Asagba said that the shops were demolished because they were built under electric wires in the estate.

“LABSCA has consistently warned against building structures under high-tension. So the rows of shops were destroyed because they were built under high-tension, and they are all illegal construction,” she said.

“The occupiers in the shops were duly served notices before the demolition began. The last time they were served notices was last week”, Asagba added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Nigeria Secures Major Victory in $6.2 Million Arbitration Against European Tech Firm

Published

on

3 Views

In a significant win for the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Nigeria has prevailed in an international arbitration dispute with European Dynamics UK Ltd, a European technology contractor, saving the country from a potential liability of over $6.2 million (approximately ₦9.3 billion).

The Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP) successfully defended against claims related to a stalled national electronic Government Procurement (e-GP) system project, funded in part by the World Bank. The project involved the design, development, customization, supply, installation, and maintenance of the e-Procurement platform aimed at enhancing transparency, accountability, and efficiency in federal public procurement.

The Sole Arbitrator, Mrs. ‘Funmi Roberts, issued a final and non-appealable ruling dismissing all claims by European Dynamics UK Ltd in their entirety. The contractor had sought approximately $2.4 million for alleged milestone payments, $3 million in general damages, and an additional $800,000 in settlement claims.

The dispute centered on the User Acceptance Test (UAT), where BPP identified significant functional deficiencies, omissions, and errors in the system. Nigeria’s position—that delivery in software customization projects is only complete upon satisfactory UAT confirming compliance with technical, statutory, and operational requirements—was upheld.

The tribunal ruled that the vendor bore responsibility to remedy deficiencies at no extra cost and found no evidence supporting the contractor’s claims of approved mergers of project phases or contractual consent for such changes.Nigeria’s legal team, led by Johnson & Wilner LLP with Founding Partner Basil Udotai Esq. at the forefront, was praised for its expertise in technology contracting.

BPP Director-General Dr. Adebowale Adedokun, who inherited the stalled project and ongoing arbitration upon taking office, described the outcome as a landmark signal in public sector technology dealings.

“This vendor has taken various African countries to court and won every single case. Nigeria is the first to defeat them,” he said during a presentation of the award to Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Prince Lateef Fagbemi (SAN). He emphasized that Nigeria “can no longer be taken for granted” and thanked the AGF for supporting the decision to proceed with arbitration rather than settle.

AGF Fagbemi hailed the victory as evidence that “it is no longer business as usual.” He commended Dr. Adedokun’s courage, the legal team’s brilliance, and President Tinubu’s backing for institutional strengthening. “This win sends a clear message to the international community: Nigeria has resonated…

By standing up to European Dynamics, we have instilled courage in other African nations to protect their own resources,” he stated.

The ruling highlights the critical role of rigorous testing, clear milestones, and performance-based standards in government tech contracts, with lessons to be applied to ongoing e-procurement reforms to minimize future disputes.Kamarudeen Ogundele Special Assistant to the President (Communication and Publicity) Office of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice

Continue Reading

News

UNICEF Lauds Nigeria’s Remarkable Progress in Birth Registration (Photos)

Published

on

17 Views

ighlights 14 Million Children Registered in Two Years.

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has commended Nigeria for achieving a significant milestone in child rights, with 14 million children’s births officially registered over the past two years.

This surge represents impressive advancement in ensuring every child is counted and recognized through legal identity.

The announcement came during a courtesy visit by UNICEF Country Representative to Nigeria, Ms. Wafaa Saeed Abdelatef, to Senator Oluremi Tinubu, the First Lady of Nigeria, at the State House in Abuja.

Ms. Abdelatef praised the First Lady’s exemplary leadership in championing children’s issues and family welfare nationwide. She described the progress in birth registration as unprecedented in her experience across various countries.

“Birth registration is the first right of every child—to be counted and recognized,” she stated. “It is really impressive. I have served in many places, but I have not seen such progress in two years as we have witnessed here in Nigeria.

“She highlighted key enablers of this success, including the digitalization of the registration system at health facilities and community levels, as well as ongoing legislative efforts with a relevant bill before the National Assembly.

“Things don’t just happen like that; we scale with leadership,” she added, expressing gratitude for the First Lady’s role in driving this initiative and allowing UNICEF to celebrate this “fantastic leadership.

“The UNICEF representative also acknowledged the First Lady’s broader contributions, referencing her involvement in initiatives such as the national library and food bank launches, as well as commendations from African women leaders at the African Union for her continental impact.

She linked these efforts to Nigeria’s Renewed Hope Agenda, which she said is instilling hope for children and citizens alike.In response, Senator Oluremi Tinubu welcomed UNICEF’s recognition and reaffirmed her commitment to ensuring universal birth registration. “Every child counts,” she emphasized, noting that registration immediately after birth grants children nationality, legal identity, and access to essential services like health and education.

The First Lady described the news as a source of joy and a foundation for national development. “This is how nations develop,” she said. While celebrating the gains, she stressed the need for sustained efforts: “We are not there yet. We have to keep at it and make sure every child is counted.

“She pointed out that birth registration is just the starting point, extending to the issuance of birth certificates. Highlighting Nigeria’s lack of a recent census, she noted that starting with children would provide critical data on the child population to guide government planning and resource allocation.

Senator Tinubu also addressed persistent challenges, expressing concern over persistently high rates of tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and maternal and child mortality in Nigeria’s large population.

“These numbers are still high, and it is worrisome,” she said, while assuring that the administration is actively working to position the country for a better future.

She expressed appreciation for UNICEF’s longstanding support and reliable data, pledging continued collaboration in any area of mutual interest. “In any area you want us to collaborate, we are here,” she affirmed. “We want to thank UNICEF for the interest and the work you have done.

“This development underscores Nigeria’s ongoing push toward universal civil registration, aligning with global goals to provide legal identity for all children and support broader child rights and development objectives.

Continue Reading

News

Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Published

on

By

16 Views

Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun

Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.

News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.

Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Continue Reading

Trending