International
South Africa reacts to US expulsion of ambassador Ebrahim Rasool
The South African presidency on Saturday said the expulsion of its Ambassador to the United States, Ebrahim Rasool, is “regrettable.”
The presidency disclosed this in a short statement published on X on Saturday.It also called for decorum on both sides to resolve the matter as soon as possible.
“The Presidency has noted the regrettable expulsion of South Africa’s Ambassador to the United States of America, Mr. Ebrahim Rasool,” the statement read.
“The Presidency urges all relevant and impacted stakeholders to maintain the established diplomatic decorum in their engagement with the matter.
“South Africa remains committed to building a mutually beneficial relationship with the United States of America.”
The ppolitician was expelled after he was seen as a race-baiting politician” who hates the US and President Donald Trump.
Rubio wrote on X that Rasool was “no longer welcome in our great country”, adding: “We have nothing to discuss with him and so he is considered PERSONA NON GRATA.
”Rubio linked his remarks to an article by the right-wing media outlet Breitbart, wherein Rasool is quoted as saying Trump mobilised a “supremacist instinct” and “white victimhood” as a “dog whistle” during the 2024 elections.
But South African political analyst Sandile Swana said the “core of the dispute” was Pretoria’s decision to form a genocide case at the International Court of Justice against Israel, a close US ally, over its war on Gaza.
In February, Rasool, an anti-apartheid campaigner, told the Zeteo news site that what South Africans experienced during apartheid rule “is on steroids in Palestine”.
Moreover, Swana explained that in the fight against apartheid, the US “supported the apartheid regime”.
“[So] Rasool continues to point out the behaviour of the United States, even now is to support apartheid and genocide,” he added.
Land policy
Still, the decision by Washington to expel the South African ambassador comes at a time of heightened tensions between the two countries, since Trump cut financial aid to South Africa after citing his disapproval of its land policy that he alleged allows land to be seized from white farmers.
Last week, Trump pushed this further and said South Africa’s farmers were welcome to settle in the US, repeating that the South African government was “confiscating” land from white people.
South African-born tech billionaire Elon Musk, a close Trump ally, has also accused the country of having “openly racist ownership laws”.
However, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has defended the policy, saying the government was not confiscating land but aiming to level racial disparities in land ownership in the Black-majority nation.
International
Russia moves to block WhatsApp in messaging app crackdown
Russian internet regulator Roskomnadzor said earlier this week it was further curbing access to messaging app Telegram as well, citing a lack of security.
Russia / Getty image
Russia has “attempted to fully block” WhatsApp in the country, the company said, as the Kremlin continues to tighten restrictions on messaging apps while the the regulator is pushing for a state-developed app as an alternative to WhatsApp.
BBC reports that Meta-owned WhatsApp said the move aimed to push more than 100 million of its app users in Russia to a “state-owned surveillance app”.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Meta could resume operations if it “complies with [the law] and enters into dialogue”, but stood “no chance” if it refused.
Russian internet regulator Roskomnadzor said earlier this week it was further curbing access to messaging app Telegram as well, citing a lack of security.
Telegram is highly popular in Russia and widely used by its forces in Ukraine.
Pro-war bloggers have complained that the move was hampering communications on the ground.Russia has argued that both WhatsApp and Telegram have refused to store Russian users’ data in the country as required by law.
WhatsApp said it was doing everything it could to keep people connected.
“Trying to isolate over 100 million users from private and secure communication is a backwards step and can only lead to less safety for people in Russia,” it said in a statement.
International
Bangladesh votes in first election since Gen Z protests ousted former PM Sheikh Hasina
People are voting for a new government and also taking part in a referendum to change the constitution.
Bangladesh is holding its first election since student-led protests in 2024 ended the 15-year rule of its increasingly autocratic leader, Sheikh Hasina.
BBC reports that as many as 1,400 protesters were killed during the uprising – with Hasina accused of having directly ordered the crackdown, an allegation she denies.
Her party, the Awami League, has been banned from contesting this election
The vote now pits the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) against the Islamist party Jamaat-e-Islami, which has joined forces with a party born out of the student uprising.
People are voting for a new government and also taking part in a referendum to change the constitution.
An interim government, led by Nobel Peace Price laureate Muhammad Yunus, has led Bangladesh since Hasina fledIn November, a court in Bangladesh sentenced Hasina to death for crimes against humanity over her crackdown
International
Renowned Gospel Singer and Worship Leader Ron Kenoly Dies at 81
Dr. Ron Kenoly, the celebrated American gospel singer, worship leader, and songwriter whose powerful anthems have inspired millions worldwide, has passed away at the age of 81.
Kenoly, widely regarded as one of the pioneers of contemporary praise and worship music, was best known for timeless classics such as “Ancient of Days,” “Lift Him Up,” “Sing Out,” “As for Me and My House,” “I Will Come and Bow Down,” and “Jesus Is Alive.” His music, characterized by joyful, exuberant praise and a deep focus on God’s manifest presence, became staples in churches, conferences, and worship gatherings across denominations and continents.
Born on December 6, 1944, in Coffeyville, Kansas, Kenoly served in the United States Air Force before transitioning into full-time ministry. He served as a music pastor and later earned a Doctorate in Ministry of Sacred Music in 1996. His breakthrough came through recordings with Integrity Music in the 1990s, which propelled his ministry to global prominence.
Over the course of his career, Kenoly toured extensively, ministering in more than 120 nations and recording numerous live worship albums that captured the energy and spiritual intensity of his live sessions. His work influenced generations of worship leaders, choirs, and congregations, helping shape modern gospel and praise music.
No official cause of death has been released at this time. Further details and statements are expected from his family or representatives in the coming days.
Ron Kenoly’s legacy endures through his enduring catalog of songs that continue to uplift and draw believers into worship around the world.
-
News3 days agoBREAKING: FG to Restore Cross River Littoral Status, Allocates 119 New Oil Wells Post-Bakassi
-
Crime2 days agoNDLEA: China-Based Nigerian, 2 Angolans Excrete 236 Cocaine Wraps at Airports (Images)
-
Crime21 hours agoBREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping
-
News2 days agoCivil Society Group Urges Probe into Dadiyata’s 2019 Disappearance After Explosive Claims
-
News2 days agoLagos Inaugurates Fire Marshal Club with Safety Walk to Cut Fire Incidents
-
News20 hours agoEl-Rufai Arrives at EFCC Headquarters Amid Clashes Between Supporters and Opponents in Abuja
-
News20 hours agoJUST IN: Security Operatives Clash with El-Rufai’s Supporters at EFCC HQ, Tear Gas Fired
-
News10 hours agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
