Business
Nigeria Air: Sirika opens up, accuses lawmaker of demanding 5% stake
The Former minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika has finally reacted to controversies surrounding the unveiling of the new national carrier, Nigeria Air, 48 hours before his exit.
The purported Nigeria Air was discovered to be a hired aircraft from Ethiopian Airline, repainted and rebranded in Nigeria colours.
The scam has put the country in bad light globally. However, Sirika has come out to say high powered individuals in the country also contributed in frustrating the good intention of former President Muhammadu Buhari towards the project.
He said that the Chairman of the House Committee on Aviation, Nnolim Nnaji requested for five percent share in the airline for him and his people which he turndown directing him to the stakeholders.
In an interview on AriseTV, Sirika while responding on the issue of Hon Nnaji who called Nigeria Air launch a fraud, he said: “I will respond now. I will say exactly what I told him in private when we spoke.
“Hon Nnaji asked me that I should give him 5 percent of Nigeria to carry him along with his people, and I said to him at that time, Honourable, a bidding process that has taken place, and some people won. So, I think you should go to those people and ask for the 5 percent.”
“Let’s be fair, Hon Nnaji didn’t say other members. He said he wants it for himself and his people. His people could his be his family, could be members and it could be leadership. I don’t know, but he insisted on 5 percent. I said that he should relax and approach the owners. That’s exactly what I told him.”
The former Minister also criticised Nnaji and the aviation committee for conducting what translated to a “predetermined hearing”.
‘I was a member of the House of Reps 20 years ago, and 10.”
Meanwhile, Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Aviation, Honourable Nnolim Nnaji has denied asking for 5% equity in Nigeria Air, saying the ex-minister of Aviation, Senator Hadi Sirika, ‘is a drowning man struggling to grab anything on his way to survive the barrage of attacks he has been receiving since his controversial unveiling ceremony of the so called Nigeria Air.’
Nnaji in a statement on Sunday while responding to Sirika’s allegations, said the former Minister was not happy that he had demanded transparency and due process in all matters relating to aviation sector, especially Nigeria Air project.
He added that the House suspended further questions when the Airline Operators of Nigeria (AON) sued the Ministry and Nigeria Air to court and got injunction to stop it.
“Ordinarily l would not have bothered to reply to his allegations of my demand for 5 percent equity in Nigeria Air as he claimed during his interview on Arise Television but l believe l owe my constituents and indeed Nigerians a duty to put the records straight.
“It is on record that last year when the Minister announced Ethiopian Airlines as core investor in NigeriaAir, my committee which was also inundated with petitions from various stakeholders regarding that announcement invited the Minister and his team to furnish the committee with the details of the project.
“The committee requested for the evidence of the bid process that gave Ethiopian Airlines the award and, the full business case as prepared by the Nigerian Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission, (ICRC) which was supposed to spell out the details of all the investors and their equity contributions.
“Sirika at that meeting said Full Business Case was still being worked out by the ICRC and promised to make it available to the committee as soon it was ready which he failed to do before Airline Operators of Nigeria, (AON) took the Ministry to court and got injunction restraining it from going ahead with the project.”, Nnaji said.
The lawmaker, who said all enquires were suspended to avoid court contempt, added that he crossed Sirika’s path again, when issued a statement against threats of mass resignations by key personnel of the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority, (NCAA) due to pressures from the Ministry to give waivers to Nigeria Air to enable it secure Air Operator’s Certificate, (AOC).
“Of course, we suspended our discussions and enquiries on the project the moment court got involved. Normally when a matter is before the court the parliament does not discuss it.
“However, on May 20th 2023, l received reports of threats of mass resignations by key personnel of the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority, (NCAA) due to pressures from the Ministry to give waivers to Nigeria Air to enable it secure Air Operator’s Certificate, (AOC) so that it could take Off before the exit of the last administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.
“I quickly issued a statement warning the former Minister against subverting the authority of NCAA because of its severe consequences on the Nigeria’s air transport sector. It is also a common knowledge that the Nigerian institutional investors he mentioned as participants have all denied him.
“It is not strange that Sirika came up with this spurious allegations against my person because l remained consistent in demanding that he followed due process.
“He should not deviate from the subject matter. Let him tell Nigerians the truth about the contraption he sold to us as Nigeria Air. Nnolim Nnaji is not his problem.”, Nnaji added.
Business
Femi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
The Chairman of First HoldCo, Femi Otedola, said on Wednesday “From on a personal note, I’ve appealed to him (Aliko Dangote to allocate to me shares worth $100 million private placement, ahead of the Refinery’s initial public offer.”
“That’s one of the reasons I sold my stake in Geregu plant to come and invest my proceeds in the IPO of Dangote refinery.”
Otedola told journalists when he led top executives of First HoldCo on a tour of the refinery and the fertiliser plans in the Lekki free trade zone area.
The team also visited key project sites such as the jetty, a facility built by Dangote industries to receive large vessels.
The private placement is the latest announcement in the refinery’s Initial Public Offering plan, IPO expected later in the year.
Business
CBN Holds Benchmark Interest Rate at 26.5% Amid Renewed Inflation Concerns
The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has retained the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 26.5 per cent, maintaining the current stance after its two-day meeting that ended on Wednesday, May 20, 2026.
CBN Governor Olayemi Cardoso announced the decision, noting that the committee voted unanimously to hold all key parameters unchanged. The asymmetric corridor around the MPR remains at +500/-450 basis points, the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) stays at 45 per cent for commercial banks and 16 per cent for merchant banks, while the liquidity ratio is retained at 30 per cent.
The hold comes as headline inflation rose for a second consecutive month to 15.69 per cent in April 2026, up from previous levels, driven largely by food inflation at 16.06 per cent and higher transportation costs. Cardoso emphasised the need for a cautious and vigilant approach to anchor inflation expectations and safeguard macroeconomic stability.
This decision aligns with analysts’ expectations ahead of the 305th MPC meeting and follows the first rate cut in years implemented in February 2026, when the MPR was reduced by 50 basis points to the current 26.5 per cent.
The CBN Governor highlighted ongoing reforms, exchange rate stability, and efforts to improve food supply as factors supporting the disinflation process, even as global and domestic risks persist. The next MPC meeting is expected in July.
The retention signals the apex bank’s priority on taming inflation while monitoring the impact of previous policy actions on the broader economy.
Business
South African pension fund expresses interest in Dangote IPO
Dangote Group , in a statement shared on its official X handle, underscored increasing attention from African institutional investors towards projects considered critical to strengthening energy security, industrial capacity, food systems and regional economic resilience across the continent.
Photo: Aliko Dangote address representatives of South African pension fund, Tuesday May 19, 2026.
Representatives of South Africa’s Government Employees Pension Fund (GEPF) and the Public Investment Corporation (PIC) visited yesterday the Dangote Petroleum Refinery & Petrochemicals and Dangote Fertiliser Limited , and expressed interest in the upcoming Dangote IPO.
The planned IPO is expected to involve the sale of about 10 percent equity in the refinery through what the Dangote Group has described as a pan-African public offering.
Dangote Group , in a statement shared on its official X handle, underscored increasing attention from African institutional investors towards projects considered critical to strengthening energy security, industrial capacity, food systems and regional economic resilience across the continent.
According to the company, African investors and institutions are increasingly looking inward to support large-scale infrastructure projects capable of driving sustainable economic growth and accelerating industrial transformation across the region.
The engagement also comes as the refinery moves closer to its planned Initial Public Offering (IPO), which is expected to open up ownership of the facility to a broader pool of investors across Africa.
The company noted that ongoing engagements with major institutional investors reflect growing recognition of strategic infrastructure as a key driver of Africa’s long-term economic transformation and industrial expansion.
-
News3 days agoAbu-Bilal al-Minuki: Deadly But Harmless Looking – Poison Dart Frog
-
Business3 days agoPenCom bracing up to invest in Dangote Refinery’s IPO, urges PFAs
-
Business3 days agoDangote expands Investment in Ethiopia to $4bn
-
Business3 days ago63% of Nigerians want interest rates reduced – CBN
-
Sports3 days agoAfrican Athletics Championship: Team Nigeria wins 12 medals
-
Business3 days agoBOI Secures $200m fresh Loan from AfDB
-
Sports3 days agoServing Senators, governors battle for APC senatorial tickets today
-
News2 days agoUS Nigeria military eliminate more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters in latest airstrike
