Crime
“Spike in IPOB Attacks in Enugu Shows Mbah Isn’t Ready for Leadership”, CSO Declares
The current spike in attacks by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) in Enugu since the state governor, Peter Mbah, announced an end to the Sit-at-home order in the state three weeks ago has been attributed to the lack of preparedness for leadership by the new helmsman.
According to a civil society organisation based in Enugu, the Oriental Lawyers for Justice (OLJ), the worsened security problem has seen at least eight kidnappings in the capital in the last two weeks plus the attack on the New Haven station of the Pinnacle Oil and Gas Company owned by the governor in the early hours of Wednesday last week “show that, contrary to the assertions of those who packaged him for the recent election which he nevertheless lost, Mbah is just another politician and wheeler-dealer rather than a clear-headed leader with a focus on how to get our dear state cracking in the right direction”.
Commercial drivers protested in their hundreds on Tuesday (yesterday) against the new spate of kidnappings on the Enugu–Nsukka Road, as three kidnaps were recorded on Thursday, last week, alone.
If he had prepared himself for high office, the OLJ said in a statement signed by JohnBosco Aninwede, its president, and Mrs Ifeoma Ejike, the secretary, he would have learned from the experience of Governor Chukwuma Soludo of neighbouring Anambra State who in his inaugural speech in March, 2022, announced a war against so-called freedom fighters in the bush, only to face an unprecedented rise in attacks by IPOB members throughout the state, especially in his Isuofia hometown and Aguata Local Government Area whose headquarters was bombed.
“There is no doubt that IPOB has been responsible for the attack on Mbah’s private petroleum firm, as the perpetrators came in a large number of tricycles and armed with rifles, charms, and the notorious red headband worn by the Eastern Security Network (ESN), IPOB’s military wing”, declared the OLJ.
“And everyone knows that Pinnacle is targeted because of Mbah’s moves against IPOB”.
The nongovernmental organisation said that Simeon Ekpa, a top IPOB leader based in Finland, has openly mocked Mbah for lack of legitimately because he didn’t win the Enugu governorship election.
The lawyers argued that no serious leader would announce the cancellation of the stay-at-home order which is enforced with savagery throughout the Southeast every Monday without providing enough security forces on the ground and without constituting his cabinet because tackling profound insecurity is not a one-man show.
“By the time he announced an end to the order by the nonstate actors, the new governor had appointed only the Secretary to the State Government, Professor Chidiebere Onyia, and no other person into his administration”, noted the Oriental Lawyers for Justice.
“It was after he had begun to implement the order which failed spectacularly on the first Monday that it occurred to him to consult stakeholders in the state like traders, transporters, religious leaders, traditional rulers, students, town union officers, and the rest to brief them on his plans”.
They added that Mbah was marketed beyond his knowledge and skills by his handlers who “tried to mesmerise our people with his personal wealth and his manifesto promise to increase Enugu’s economy from $4bn to $30bn within four years, even though he has never supplied information on how he plans to achieve this feat”.
The lawyers observed that though they are against IPOB for its streak of violence and such illegal acts as the curfew it imposes on the Southeast weekly, “Mbah has gone about cutting down the secessionist group to size the wrong way because of his poor poor skills as a public leader.
“If he had genuinely won the March 18 gubernatorial election, he would have acted more rationally, and not in this knee-jerk manner meant to get accepted by the Enugu people who rejected him and his Peoples Democratic Party resoundingly in the 2023 general elections.”
Crime
BREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping
The Department of State Services (DSS) has filed cybercrime charges against former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja, accusing him of involvement in the unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu.

QAccording to court documents, the charges stem from El-Rufai’s statements during a live interview on Arise Television’s Prime Time programme on February 13, 2026. In the broadcast, he reportedly admitted to accessing an intercepted conversation in which Ribadu allegedly instructed security operatives to arrest him upon his return to Nigeria.

Prosecutors allege that this interception seriously compromised national security and public safety, creating widespread fear among citizens by exposing vulnerabilities in high-level communications.
The three-count charge accuses El-Rufai of violating provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act 2024 and the Nigerian Communications Act 2003. He faces allegations of direct participation in the unlawful interception as well as failing to report those responsible for the act to the appropriate authorities.
The development follows intense public backlash and calls for investigation after El-Rufai’s televised remarks, which drew criticism from political figures, including presidential aides, who described the admission as a confession to illegal wiretapping of a top security official.
El-Rufai has previously denied direct wrongdoing in related controversies, framing his comments within broader claims of surveillance practices by government agencies.
The case is expected to heighten political tensions ahead of future elections as proceedings unfold in court.
Crime
NDLEA: China-Based Nigerian, 2 Angolans Excrete 236 Cocaine Wraps at Airports (Images)
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested a China-based Nigerian businessman and two Angolan nationals after they excreted a total of 236 wraps of cocaine at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA) in Abuja and Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport (MAKIA) in Kano.

A 34-year-old Nigerian, Ibeanu Vincent Chukwudulue, who relocated to Guangzhou, China in 2024 after business on Lagos Island, was intercepted on February 4, 2026, aboard a Qatar Airways flight from Kano en route to China via Abuja and Doha. Body scans confirmed ingestion, and he excreted 52 pellets weighing 735.95 grams under observation.

The Angolans, 50-year-old Mbandu Martins Makiadi and 52-year-old Ngoma Wilson Fernando from Luanda, were nabbed the same day at Kano airport during clearance for an Ethiopian Airlines flight to Istanbul via Addis Ababa. Mbandu excreted 76 wraps (920 grams) in seven sessions, while Ngoma expelled 108 pellets (1.33 kg) in five sessions.

They claimed recruitment by a Luanda auto spare parts dealer promising $3,000 each for delivery in Turkey.

In a separate operation, NDLEA thwarted an attempt by convicted drug kingpin Olashupo Michael Oladimeji—serving five years at Ikoyi Correctional Centre for a prior 17.9 kg cocaine case—to export 1.1 kg of cocaine hidden in garri (cassava granules) to London via Virgin Atlantic from Lagos airport.

The February 12 consignment, sent via his Dimeji Express Logistics firm, led to the arrest of staff Adedeji Yusuf Gbolahan; investigations traced the plot to Olashupo directing from prison.

Another Lagos export bid involving 1.7 kg of skunk concealed in jerry cans to the UK was foiled, resulting in the arrests of cargo agent Mustapha Quddus Opeyemi and sender Adelaja Taiwo Adetayo.
In Abuja, operatives on February 12 intercepted a waybill from Enugu containing a children’s toy guitar hiding 59.2 grams of Canadian Loud cannabis, leading to the arrest of owner Henry Onuma in Life Camp.

A major bust in Lagos saw NDLEA raid a four-bedroom duplex at Ikate-Elegushi, Lekki on February 13, uncovering a Colorado (synthetic cannabis) production factory. Following a prior seizure of 73 cartons of nitrous oxide en route to Benin City, officers recovered 13.2 kg of freshly produced Colos, precursor chemicals, and arrested Victor Oyedeji and driver Amos Innocent.

Additional seizures included 1.189 kg Colos/skunk, 320 grams methamphetamine, ₦2.975 million cash, and two vehicles from female dealer Oluwayemisi Bunmi in Ibadan; 105,400 tramadol pills from Kamilu Abdullahi in Kwara; and 563.5 kg skunk from five suspects in Edo’s Ovia North East forest.

NDLEA continued its War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization in schools and communities nationwide.

NDLEA Chairman Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) commended operatives for their balanced supply and demand reduction efforts, urging sustained professionalism.

Crime
COAS Deploys Special Forces to Plateau to Crush Resurgent Banditry Attacks
The Nigerian Army has intensified its efforts to combat the recent resurgence of banditry attacks in Plateau State, with the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Waidi Shaibu, approving the immediate deployment of the COAS Intervention Battalion of Special Forces to the region.
According to a press release from Captain Chinonso Oteh, Media Information Officer for the Joint Task Force Operation ENDURING PEACE, the newly deployed special forces personnel will join existing troops already operating in the state.
Their mandate is to aggressively and decisively confront the escalating threats posed by bandit groups, marking a significant escalation in military response aimed at restoring lasting security.
Upon arrival at the Headquarters of 3 Division in Jos, the troops were received on behalf of the General Officer Commanding 3 Division and Commander of Joint Task Force Operation ENDURING PEACE, Major General Folusho Oyinlola.
Representing him was the Chief of Staff for Operation ENDURING PEACE, Brigadier General Senlong Sule. Brigadier General Sule urged the special forces operatives to conduct offensive operations against the bandits with decisiveness and ruthlessness.
He commended Lieutenant General Shaibu’s proactive leadership in supplying essential combat enablers and logistical support to ensure the troops can effectively fulfill their mandate.
Major General Oyinlola, through his representative, appealed to residents of Plateau State not to be alarmed by the increased movement of large numbers of troops and heavy military equipment across the state. He emphasized that these deployments are part of coordinated efforts to neutralize criminal elements.
The GOC also thanked citizens for their ongoing support to the military and called for heightened collaboration, particularly through the timely provision of actionable intelligence on the locations and activities of criminal groups.
Such community input, he noted, will be crucial in enabling troops to achieve the desired peace and stability in Plateau State and surrounding areas.
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: FG to Restore Cross River Littoral Status, Allocates 119 New Oil Wells Post-Bakassi
-
Crime1 day agoNDLEA: China-Based Nigerian, 2 Angolans Excrete 236 Cocaine Wraps at Airports (Images)
-
Crime4 hours agoBREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping
-
News3 hours agoEl-Rufai Arrives at EFCC Headquarters Amid Clashes Between Supporters and Opponents in Abuja
-
News1 day agoCivil Society Group Urges Probe into Dadiyata’s 2019 Disappearance After Explosive Claims
-
News1 day agoLagos Inaugurates Fire Marshal Club with Safety Walk to Cut Fire Incidents
-
News3 hours agoJUST IN: Security Operatives Clash with El-Rufai’s Supporters at EFCC HQ, Tear Gas Fired
