News
“PDP Has Been Retrenched From the Southeast”, Stakeholders Tell Enugu Governor
After 24 years of dominating Southeastern politics since the restoration of democratic rule in the country in 1999, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has been retrenched from the zone because of its poor record and poor treatment of leaders from the area, according to the Enugu State Stakeholders Forum (ESSF).
The party no longer controls Anambra, Abia, Imo and Ebonyi states.
The Enugu stakeholders in a statement today in Enugu signed by its leader, Professor Joseph Aneke, and countersigned by their secretary, Dr Ifeanyi Agbo , noted that “Enugu as the capital of the Southeast cannot afford to be in an odd position in the zone”.
The stakeholders accused the PDP of pretending to be in charge of the executive arm of the state, saying the pretension would end the moment the Governorship and House of Assembly Election Petitions Tribunal delivers judgment on the authentic result of the gubernatorial vote.
“The performance of PDP’s various administrations in Enugu State, for instance, except that of Sullivan Chime, has been anything but inspiring”, the stakeholders said.
The forum claimed that the Southeastern people never forgot how the party treated Nigeria’s first Vice President, Dr Alex Ekwueme, whose learning and personal integrity as well as unimpeachable leadership attributes gave the PDP its original reputation of a national movement that enabled it to win the historic 1998/9 general election by a wide margin.
“On two occasions”, it recalled, “Dr. Ekwueme sought the party’s presidential ticket and on two occasions it was denied him simply because he came from the wrong part of the nation.
“Still, the people continued to give the PDP the benefit of the doubt until the 2023 general elections when the party was routed because the people had become fed up”.
It explained: “The people voted overwhelmingly for change in the election by siding unabashedly with the Labour Party (LP) and its candidates”.
“The Labour Party won 88.7% of the presidential vote, two of the three senatorial seats, seven of the eight House of Representatives seats, and 14 of the 24 House of Assembly seats”.
The Enugu stakeholders described the result of the governorship election declared by INEC as “a pure electoral heist which cannot be defended or rationalised”.
Noting that the claim that PDP’s Peter Mbah won over 16,000 votes in his home Nkanu East Local Government Area composed of mostly villages and small towns “is ludicrous”, the forum said that the “figure is amusing to even the INEC national headquarters which announced at a press conference on March 22 in Enugu that it had slashed the number of votes allocated to Mbah to a little over 15,000, though enough to give the PDP a spurious victory”.
Concluded the stakeholders: “The truth is that the PDP has been retrenched from Enugu State and the rest of the Southeast, and it cannot come back”.
News
Gas Leaks Kill 37 Miners in Plateau, 25 Hospitalised
The miners were said to have inhaled the gas while carrying out their activities underground. Most of the victims were young men between the ages of 20 and 35 who had been engaged in routine mining operations at the time of the incident.
At least 37 miners have reportedly died after being exposed to carbon monoxide while working at an underground mining site in Zurak, Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Eyewitnesses said the incident occurred in the early hours of Tuesday as the miners were extracting zinc.
During the operation, toxic gas reportedly filled the tunnels, leading to a collapse within the mining site.
The miners were said to have inhaled the gas while carrying out their activities underground. Most of the victims were young men between the ages of 20 and 35 who had been engaged in routine mining operations at the time of the incident.
Twenty-five other miners who survived the exposure have been taken to a nearby health facility, where they are currently receiving medical treatment.
Confirming the incident, the Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamisu Anani, described the deaths of the young men as worrisome and tragic, especially as they occurred during the holy month of Ramadan, when many Muslims are fasting and praying.
He stated that the mining site has been secured to prevent further casualties and to enable investigators to determine the exact cause of the gas leak.
He also appealed to the state and federal government to come to the aid of the victims and their families, noting that the incident has left a painful impact on the community.
The member representing Wase State Constituency said efforts are ongoing to support the victims, while investigations into the incident continue.
News
UBA UK targets closing $100bn Africa trade gaps
UBA will leverage its Pan-African network and London operations to unlock capital, strengthen correspondent banking relationships and support African corporates and SMEs in accessing international trade opportunities.
UBA UK’s newly appointed CEO, Loknath Mishra, says that the bank is working hard to close Africa’s $100 billion trade finance shortfall by connecting more African businesses to global markets.
Mishra affirmed this during an appearance on Arise TV’s Global Business Report this week.
“UBA will leverage its Pan-African network and London operations to unlock capital, strengthen correspondent banking relationships and support African corporates and SMEs in accessing international trade opportunities,”he said.
According to him, the global trade order is changing, and supply chains are being rewritten and Africa is increasingly becoming a reliable and strategic partner.
He emphasised that UBA has a significant role to play in ensuring Africa is connected to the globe, and UBA UK plays a critical role in providing hard-currency liquidity, structured trade finance and settlement services through London’s financial infrastructure.
He highlighted that several international banks are retreating from African markets, even as trade across the continent is projected to grow faster than in many other regions.
He noted that the bank’s presence across 20 African countries enables UBA to connect buyers and sellers seamlessly, while UBA UK ensures efficient foreign currency settlement and international trade structuring.
News
MTN Group buys IHS Towers for $6.2bn
Chairman and CEO of IHS Towers, Sam Darwish, described the agreement as a compelling opportunity to crystallise value built over the company’s 25-year history.
MTN Group has reached an agreement to acquire IHS Towers, one of the world’s largest independent owners and operators of shared telecom infrastructure, in an all-cash transaction that values the company at an enterprise value of approximately $6.2 billion.
The deal follows weeks of negotiations between both parties.
Under the terms of the merger agreement, IHS shareholders will receive $8.50 per ordinary share in cash, representing a 36% premium to its 52-week volume-weighted average price, and a modest 3% premium to its unaffected closing price of $8.23 on February 4, 2026.
Chairman and CEO of IHS Towers, Sam Darwish, described the agreement as a compelling opportunity to crystallise value built over the company’s 25-year history.
“Today’s announcement creates a compelling opportunity that provides certainty and immediate returns for our shareholders, enabling them to crystallize the significant value generated during our strategic review.
The proposed transaction deepens our long-standing partnership with MTN, as it combines Africa’s largest mobile network operator with one of its largest digital infrastructure platforms, and underscores the strong connection between IHS Towers and the African continent,” he said.
MTN’s Group President and CEO, Ralph Mupita, said the transaction would strengthen the company’s strategic and financial position as digital infrastructure becomes increasingly central to economic development on the continent
For IHS customers and partners across the continent, we commit to continuing high standards of service and the right governance of what is the largest standalone and integrated tower company in Africa, enabled by the excellent people within HIS,” he said.
IHS Towers’ Board of Directors has unanimously approved the transaction and recommended it to shareholders.
Meanwhile, J.P. Morgan is acting as financial advisor to IHS Towers, and Latham & Watkins LLP and Walkers (Cayman) LLP are acting as legal counsel to IHS Towers.
BofA Securities and Citigroup Global Markets Limited are acting as financial advisors to MTN; Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP are acting as legal advisors.
-
News2 days agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
-
Crime2 days agoBREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping
-
News2 days agoJUST IN: Security Operatives Clash with El-Rufai’s Supporters at EFCC HQ, Tear Gas Fired
-
News2 days agoEl-Rufai Arrives at EFCC Headquarters Amid Clashes Between Supporters and Opponents in Abuja
-
News1 day agoReverend Jesse Jackson, Iconic Civil Rights Leader, Dies at 84
-
Business5 hours agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
-
Business4 hours agoNRS Fixes 2028 for e- invoicing tax collections full takeoff
-
Health1 day agoFederal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure
