Connect with us

News

Osinbajo Hailed for his quiet exit from office

Published

on

602 Views

A chieftain of the ruling All Progressives Congress, Prof Sola Adeyeye has commended former Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo for bowing out of office quietly without the usual pomp common with politicians in this part of the world.

The former Chief Whip of the 7th Senate stated this on Sunday in Abuja.

This is just as the ex-lawmaker flayed what he called the snide remarks which greeted a viral video of Osinbajo, alongside his wife, Dolapo, arriving at the presidential wing of the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos from Abuja shortly after the conclusion of the handing over ceremonies in the nation’s capital last week.

Speaking in Abuja, Sen Adeyeye said, “I have received, for the umpteenth time, a video of the arrival of Prof and Mrs Osinbajo at the Lagos airport. The arrival was without the pomp and pageantry that holders of exalted political offices receive in Nigeria. Along with the video are tendentious and silly snide remarks.

“It would have been easy for Yẹmí Osìnbàjò to do what most politicians periodically do. He could have instructed some of his staff and supporters to organize an impressive crowd to await his arrival at the airport.

“For far less than ten million nairas, he could have distributed bales of Ankara along with snacks and some chicken change to singing women and noise-belching men.

“Needless to say, the capacity of a politician to stage such shows is directly correlated with the extent of his involvement in crude, appropriative, cash-and-carry politics,” he said even as he asked God’s grace to come upon the Professor of Law and his family members.

“May God bless Yẹmí Osinbajo for not embracing the wayward exhibitionism that often defines the thoughtless populism of the Nigerian political class. His job as Vice President has been done. A hallmark of the Christian life he professes is to be able to truthfully say with Apostle Paul, ‘I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things, I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me Philippians 4:12-13,’ he added.

According to him, “Osìnbajo does not need a red carpet. The real losers are not Yẹmí and Dọlapọ Osinbajo but those whose superficiality makes them define a leader by the carpet on which he walks.”

On social media as well as in the viral video, the former Vice President suffered some cruel remarks from the public, with some describing his decision to vie for the APC presidential ticket as an act of disloyalty to Bola Tinubu who would go on to pick the ticket and eventually won the February 25 presidential election.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

HAPPENING NOW: Blackout hits Abuja, Embassies affected

Published

on

23 Views

The Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) has announced power outage in various parts of Abuja including hotels and diplomatic buildings.

The AEDC made the announcement in its verified X handle today.

It said the blackout also affected Bolingo Hotel, Wada Maida Building, which houses the headquarters of Sudan, Egypt embassies, Envoy Hotel, the European Union embassy, among others.

The other places affected by the blackout are the National Planning Commission (NPC), the National Hospital, and the Turkish, Pakistani, and Indian embassies.

“Also, Garki Area One, Two, Three, Seven and Eight; Garki village; Garki market; Ubiaja Street; Kaltungo Street; and Lagos Street have been affected.

“Also affected are Oka Akoko Street, Treasury House, Karibu Hotel, and part of Asokoro, such as Yakubu Gowon Street.

“Similarly, Imo Government Lodges, Gado Nasko Street, Justice Sowemimo, Hassan Musa Katsina Streets, part of Jasse Martin, NIA, and TY Danjuma Street are without power supply.

“It said also affected are Lugbe, Jedo, Forte Royal, Back Of Dunamics, Customs Quarters, Aviation Village Piwoye Kapwa Ok Water, Nicomsat, Korean School and Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport,”.

It attributed the power outage to a technical fault.

“The technical team of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) is currently working to restore the power supply.

“We regret the inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding,” AEDC said.

Continue Reading

News

Burial begins for Oyo school teacher killed by JAS terrorist group

The deceased teacher is expected to be buried at his residence in the Owolake area of Ogbomoso.

Published

on

By

29 Views

The burial arrangements for Adesiyan Adegboye, the teacher killed during last Friday’s coordinated attack on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, began on Friday at Ayegun Baptist Church, Ogbomoso.

Adegboye, 49, was shot dead during the invasion carried out by armed bandits at Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, Community Grammar School, and L.A. Primary School, Esiele.

The deceased teacher is expected to be buried at his residence in the Owolake area of Ogbomoso.

The attackers reportedly stormed the schools around 9:30am, abducting several teachers and students during the operation that threw the communities into panic.

Following the incident, the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, visited the affected area on Saturday and ordered the deployment of additional detectives from the Force Headquarters in Abuja to support ongoing rescue efforts.

Continue Reading

News

FG launches GovGuideNigeria to boost citizens governance access

GovGuideNigeria platform is accessible through WhatsApp and the web, and is available in English, Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba to ensure wider accessibility for citizens across different linguistic backgrounds.

Published

on

By

28 Views

The Minister of Communications, Innovation, and Digital Economy, Dr Bosun Tijan, has said that Nigerians can now access the government information and services through the newly launched GovGuideNigeria.

The artificial intelligence-powered platform was launched on May 21 by the government in collaboration with Meta, the National Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (NCAIR), and local developer partner Publica AI.

According to the Minister, the platform is accessible through WhatsApp and the web, and is available in English, Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba to ensure wider accessibility for citizens across different linguistic backgrounds.

Tijani stated that the platform provides users with easy access to information from more than 35 federal ministries and over 60 government agencies.

He described the initiative as part of the government’s efforts to improve public service delivery through technology and digital innovation.

Sade Dada, Head of Public Policy, Meta, said during the launch “Meta’s open-source AI is critical to economic growth and productivity — and GovGuide Nigeria, is a clear example of what this looks like in practice.

Ignatius Willie, CEO, Publica AI said, “Today is not just a product launch. It is a step towards democratising how Nigerians engage with their government. With GovGuide Nigeria, we are not simply digitising access to public services; we are making them conversational, multilingual, and available on the channels Nigerians already use every day.

Continue Reading

Trending