Connect with us

News

Epileptic electricity: FG to inject 1,900MW solar power into grid

Published

on

355 Views

The Federal Government has revealed plans to construct modular solar power plants with a combined capacity of 1,900 megawatts for the 19 northern states, as part of efforts to boost renewable energy adoption and expand the national grid.

It also disclosed its target to generate and distribute about 8,000MW of electricity before the end of President Bola Tinubu’s first term in office in 2027.

The Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, announced this during the sixth edition of the 2025 Ministerial Press Briefing Series held on Thursday in Abuja.

Adelabu said each solar-powered station will produce approximately 100MW of electricity, enabling states to become more energy-independent and reducing reliance on the national grid.

He also stated that the government is pursuing private investment to help expand the grid and improve generation.

Recall that the northern region recently faced challenges with a stable power supply due to a surge in vandalism and theft of critical transmission infrastructure.

Last October, vandals destroyed the important 330kV Shiroro-Kaduna power line that supplies the states of Kano and Kaduna, and another line that supplies Bauchi, Gombe, and other parts of the northeast.

This incident led to a month-long blackout in 17 out of 19 northern states in the country.

Following the repairs, the governors of the 19 northern states called for the diversification of energy to ensure improved electricity supply.

The states include Niger and Kwara, Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa, Gombe and Katsina. Others are Sokoto, Zamfara, Bauchi, Yobe, Borno, Adamawa, Taraba, Niger, Plateau, Nasarawa, Kogi and Benue.

But speaking at the event to update the public and highlight achievements recorded so far, the minister emphasized that with Nigeria’s abundant sunshine, there is no reason the country cannot achieve utility-scale solar power generation.

He said, “In addition to these initiatives, private investors like Sun Africa Energy and Skipper Electric are keen to invest in Nigeria’s power sector, emphasising renewable generation and grid expansion.

What we have today on our grid are just two types of power, hydropower and gas-powered plants.

“But with the abundance of sunshine that we have in Nigeria, nothing stops us from having utility-scale solar power generation. And we have two companies that have expressed interest in this.

We have evaluated, and discussions are at a very, very high stage.

“Number one is Sun Africa, which intends to bring in about 1,000MW of solar energy to complement the efforts of Niger Delta Power Holding Company at their various locations. And this will go straight into the grid. That’s adding solar power to our grid.

“Then the second is Skipper Energy, who has also decided to construct modular solar power plants in the 19 states of the northern part of Nigeria, about 100MW each, so that each state will be independent and the independence of the national grid will be reduced.

This will ensure that we have solar power in our national grid.

”Continuing, Adelabu described the 8,000MW target as realistic, noting that power generation has already improved by about 40 per cent since the current administration took office.

He said average daily generation rose from 4,100MW in Q3 2023 to 5,700MW in the last quarter of 2025, peaking at 5,800MW.

He highlighted that while it took Nigeria nearly 40 years, from 1984 to 2022, to grow from 2,000MW to 4,000MW, the current administration added 1,700MW in just over a year.

“I assumed office in August 2023, and within a short time, we’ve moved from an unstable 4,100MW to a steady 5,800MW,” he said, adding that if past governments had added just 1,000MW each year since 1999, Nigeria would now be producing over 30,000MW.

Adelabu credited the recent progress to President Tinubu’s support and expressed confidence that, if current momentum continues, the country could reach 8,000MW by 2027.

“Now that we have created a trajectory, if we sustain this trajectory, I can assure you that before the end of this administration in 2027, we should be able to generate and distribute nothing less than 8,000MW of power,” he assured.

The minister further observed the paucity of funds, stressing that given the competition for funding among various ministries and agencies, the government is looking to the private sector to secure financing for the construction of new transmission lines, substations, and the installation of additional transformers.

“We have received various offers from private investors. The national grid is owned 100 per cent by the government. But I can tell you, with other ministries competing for funds, we cannot fund the national grid alone.

We are looking to expand the national grid. If you look at the grid, I will give you the features of the grid. It is too large, and there are some dedicated lines in which some private investors have expressed interest.

“And with the Nigerian Independent System Operator, it will be much easier for us to invite the private sector investors and let them finance the construction of new lines, construction of new substations, and introduction of new transformers,” the former CBN director noted.

As part of its achievements, the minister said the national grid has been stronger in Tinubu’s administration, as the Transmission Company of Nigeria strengthened the critical network by commissioning 61 new transformers.

“It is a huge grid to cover over 200 million people, and it’s been there for so long, and we know that the maintenance history has been poor, replacement history has been poor, expansion history has been poor,” the minister said.

He added, “It is old, so collectively enabling our grid 8.7 gigawatt operational capacity, as of today, if we grow our generation to 8,700 megawatts, the grid can still carry it, thanks to the activities of the TCN and the FGN power company.

Two years ago, once it gets to 5,000MW, the grid collapses, then we have evacuated 5,800MW successfully without the grid blinking, it was still stable, so we can transport 8,700MW.

“To strengthen this critical network, TCN commissioned 61 new transformers, totalling 5,589 MVA in 2024.

Followed by nine additional transformers in quarter one of 2025 across key locations in Lagos, Benin, Bauchi, Oshogbo, Kano, and Kaduna, we have the list of the sites. I once mentioned that TCN had over 100 unfinished projects.

News

Gas Leaks Kill 37 Miners in Plateau, 25 Hospitalised

The miners were said to have inhaled the gas while carrying out their activities underground. Most of the victims were young men between the ages of 20 and 35 who had been engaged in routine mining operations at the time of the incident.

Published

on

By

6 Views

At least 37 miners have reportedly died after being exposed to carbon monoxide while working at an underground mining site in Zurak, Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Eyewitnesses said the incident occurred in the early hours of Tuesday as the miners were extracting zinc.

During the operation, toxic gas reportedly filled the tunnels, leading to a collapse within the mining site.

The miners were said to have inhaled the gas while carrying out their activities underground. Most of the victims were young men between the ages of 20 and 35 who had been engaged in routine mining operations at the time of the incident.

Twenty-five other miners who survived the exposure have been taken to a nearby health facility, where they are currently receiving medical treatment.

Confirming the incident, the Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamisu Anani, described the deaths of the young men as worrisome and tragic, especially as they occurred during the holy month of Ramadan, when many Muslims are fasting and praying.

He stated that the mining site has been secured to prevent further casualties and to enable investigators to determine the exact cause of the gas leak.

He also appealed to the state and federal government to come to the aid of the victims and their families, noting that the incident has left a painful impact on the community.

The member representing Wase State Constituency said efforts are ongoing to support the victims, while investigations into the incident continue.

Continue Reading

News

UBA UK targets closing $100bn Africa trade gaps

UBA will leverage its Pan-African network and London operations to unlock capital, strengthen correspondent banking relationships and support African corporates and SMEs in accessing international trade opportunities.

Published

on

By

12 Views

UBA UK’s newly appointed CEO, Loknath Mishra, says that the bank is working hard to close Africa’s $100 billion trade finance shortfall by connecting more African businesses to global markets.

Mishra affirmed this during an appearance on Arise TV’s Global Business Report this week.

“UBA will leverage its Pan-African network and London operations to unlock capital, strengthen correspondent banking relationships and support African corporates and SMEs in accessing international trade opportunities,”he said.

According to him, the global trade order is changing, and supply chains are being rewritten and Africa is increasingly becoming a reliable and strategic partner.

He emphasised that UBA has a significant role to play in ensuring Africa is connected to the globe, and UBA UK plays a critical role in providing hard-currency liquidity, structured trade finance and settlement services through London’s financial infrastructure.

He highlighted that several international banks are retreating from African markets, even as trade across the continent is projected to grow faster than in many other regions.

He noted that the bank’s presence across 20 African countries enables UBA to connect buyers and sellers seamlessly, while UBA UK ensures efficient foreign currency settlement and international trade structuring.

Continue Reading

News

MTN Group buys IHS Towers for $6.2bn

Chairman and CEO of IHS Towers, Sam Darwish, described the agreement as a compelling opportunity to crystallise value built over the company’s 25-year history.

Published

on

By

21 Views

MTN Group has reached an agreement to acquire IHS Towers, one of the world’s largest independent owners and operators of shared telecom infrastructure, in an all-cash transaction that values the company at an enterprise value of approximately $6.2 billion.

The deal follows weeks of negotiations between both parties.

Under the terms of the merger agreement, IHS shareholders will receive $8.50 per ordinary share in cash, representing a 36% premium to its 52-week volume-weighted average price, and a modest 3% premium to its unaffected closing price of $8.23 on February 4, 2026.

Chairman and CEO of IHS Towers, Sam Darwish, described the agreement as a compelling opportunity to crystallise value built over the company’s 25-year history.

“Today’s announcement creates a compelling opportunity that provides certainty and immediate returns for our shareholders, enabling them to crystallize the significant value generated during our strategic review.

The proposed transaction deepens our long-standing partnership with MTN, as it combines Africa’s largest mobile network operator with one of its largest digital infrastructure platforms, and underscores the strong connection between IHS Towers and the African continent,” he said.

MTN’s Group President and CEO, Ralph Mupita, said the transaction would strengthen the company’s strategic and financial position as digital infrastructure becomes increasingly central to economic development on the continent

For IHS customers and partners across the continent, we commit to continuing high standards of service and the right governance of what is the largest standalone and integrated tower company in Africa, enabled by the excellent people within HIS,” he said.

IHS Towers’ Board of Directors has unanimously approved the transaction and recommended it to shareholders.

Meanwhile, J.P. Morgan is acting as financial advisor to IHS Towers, and Latham & Watkins LLP and Walkers (Cayman) LLP are acting as legal counsel to IHS Towers.

BofA Securities and Citigroup Global Markets Limited are acting as financial advisors to MTN; Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP are acting as legal advisors. 

Continue Reading

Trending