Connect with us

Crime

Army recruitment: Northerners arrested for attempt to take Lagos slots

Published

on

250 Views

The Lagos State Government has called for the arrest and trial of six northern candidates participating in the Nigerian Army recruitment process who claimed to be indigenes of the state.

A viral video surfaced earlier on Wednesday showing six candidates in the recruitment process, who hailed from Kaduna State, claiming Kosofe Local Government Area, Lagos Island Local Government Area, and Oshodi Isolo Local Government Area, respectively, as their local governments of origin.

By claiming to hail from Lagos, the candidates intended to secure the slots designated to Lagos State indigenes.

The video sparked reactions from indigenes of Lagos, with many saying that Lagosians are being short-changed in the recruitment process.

Responding to an inquiry on Wednesday, the Lagos State Commissioner for Information Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omotoso, said the matter had not been officially reported to the state government.

He, however, said any attempt by a non-Lagosian to claim Lagos indigeneship was criminal and demanded that the police should arrest and try the culprits if found culpable.

“We don’t have the report yet. But it is criminal to attempt to claim that you are from Lagos when you are not. It is what the police should take up, arrest the said candidates and try them,” Omotoso said, adding that “it is perjury and is punishable under the law of the land.”

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army confirmed the arrest of the six candidates.

A statement on Wednesday by the Director,  Army Public Relations,  Maj. Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, said the arrest of the candidates was a testament to the transparency and credibility of the recruitment process.

The statement read, “The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to a circulating video on social media depicting the arrest of some fraudulent candidates of the ongoing 86 Regular Recruits Intake, who were caught attempting to short-change indigenous candidates of Lagos State through dubious means.

“The NA wishes to state that the arrest of the fraudulent candidates was a result of the commitment of the NA to upholding a transparent and credible recruitment process in line with its core values of integrity and fairness. The video is a pointer to one of the processes to which the candidates were subjected to ensure only true indigenes of a particular State are recruited, using the slots of that state and non-indigenes.

“The video in itself, therefore, clearly shows that the process is transparent, as the State Representative, who is a prominent member of the recruitment team has been part and parcel of the process and was given unhindered access to do her job by scrutinizing the candidates’ State of origin, to ascertain the genuineness of their indigeneship claims.”

Onyema said an investigation will be conducted to determine fraudulent activities and to identify those behind the fraudulent act.

“The state representative must identify non-indigenes amongst candidates applying for recruitment and this is applicable in other states of the federation.

“We wish to inform the general public that the fraudulent act perpetrated by the three candidates who attempted to secure vacancies designated for candidates with Lagos State indigeneship is a serious breach of our recruitment process and will not be condoned.

“We want to assure the public that a thorough investigation will be conducted to ascertain the extent of these fraudulent activities and to identify any individual(s) or unscrupulous syndicate(s) involved. We are dedicated to ensuring that only the most qualified and deserving candidates are selected to serve in the NA,” the statement added.

He assured that the Army would work in synergy with relevant authorities to bring those being the act to book.

Onyema, however, warned other candidates seeking to manipulate the process, saying that they would be punished in accordance with the law if caught.

He said, “The NA will continue to work closely with relevant authorities to ensure that those responsible for this misconduct are held accountable. The culprits involved will be handed over to the appropriate prosecuting agency. The NA is committed to upholding the rule of law and ensuring that justice is served in this matter.

“Consequently, we urge all prospective candidates to adhere to the principles of honesty and integrity throughout the recruitment process, as any attempt to manipulate the recruitment process will be met with the full force of the law.

“The NA remains resolute in its mission to recruit the best and most deserving individuals to serve our nation. We appreciate the support and cooperation of the public, as we work to maintain the integrity of our recruitment process.”

A former Minister of Communications and former General Officer Commanding, Three Armoured Division Nigerian Army, Maj.-Gen. Tajudeen Olanrewaju (retd.), has called on the Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, and the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja, to investigate what he described as “the violation of the constitutional rights of indigenes of Lagos State.”

Olanrewaju stressed that the incident is “procedurally wrong, constitutionally and democratically unacceptable, and it is a big slap on the national goal of achieving peace and unity of the country.”

“As for the ruling Lagos State government and responsible agencies, including Governance Advisory Council of All Progressives Congress in Lagos State, they are implored to step in and stop those who dish out fake indigene identity to non-indigenous residents in Lagos State in general,” he added.

The former GOC, in a statement on Wednesday, who noted that “Our IBILE indegenship application conditions are too porous and susceptible to abuses,” said “the Chairman of the Oshodi-Isolo LGA must step aside for thorough investigation to take place. He cannot investigate himself.

“Second, the Executive Governor/Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice are both respectfully requested to present an enabling law to the House of Assembly to be passed on ‘The Verification System Unit’ that is autonomous and staffed by IBILE Indigeneous Staff, and established in the five Divisions of the state.

“Its function is to liaise with the Armed Forces and link with Governor’s Office, Alausa. They will deal with recruitment and follow up with the interview processes and monitor those shortlisted for admission into the Armed Forces. This is what most of the states in the north do now. If this approach is fine-tuned properly, the law will help to reduce abuses associated with Lagos State slots allocated to it.

“This method is doable and feasible, provided there is collective action and purposeful desire and political willpower.”

Crime

Court Adjourns Malami, Son’s Trial to Feb 27 Over FCT Public Holiday

Published

on

19 Views

The Federal High Court in Abuja has adjourned the ongoing trial of former Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), and his son, Abdulaziz Malami, to February 27, 2026.

The adjournment was announced on Friday by Justice Joyce Abdulmalik during proceedings in the case instituted by the Department of State Services (DSS), also known as the State Security Service.

The case, which involves allegations including terrorism financing and unlawful possession of firearms, could not proceed as scheduled due to a public holiday declared by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike. The holiday was proclaimed ahead of the scheduled area council elections in the FCT set for the following day.

Following the declaration, the court ordered that the defendants remain remanded in the custody of the DSS pending the next hearing date.

Malami and his son had earlier pleaded not guilty to the five-count charge when they were arraigned before the same judge. The matter had previously been adjourned to February 20 for consideration of bail applications and the potential commencement of trial.

This development marks another delay in the high-profile legal proceedings against the former chief law officer of Nigeria and his son. The case continues to draw significant public attention amid broader anti-corruption and security-related probes in the country.

The court is expected to reconvene on February 27 for further proceedings.

Continue Reading

Crime

BREAKING: Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe Arrested in Johannesburg After Alleged Shooting at Home

Published

on

34 Views

Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, the youngest son of the late former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, has been arrested following a shooting incident at his residence in the upscale Hyde Park suburb.

According to reports from South African media outlets including eNCA and IOL, as well as Gauteng police investigations, an employee—described variably as a security guard or gardener—was shot during an apparent dispute at the property.

The victim is in critical condition and receiving medical treatment.Police responded to the scene, where Mugabe was reportedly taken into custody in connection with the shooting.

Some unconfirmed social media accounts and early reports mentioned police negotiators attending amid claims the suspect had barricaded himself, but he was subsequently arrested.

This marks the latest in a series of legal troubles for Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, who has previously faced charges related to assault in Zimbabwe, including incidents involving security personnel and law enforcement.

The investigation by the South African Police Service (SAPS) is ongoing, with more details expected as the case develops. Authorities have not yet released an official statement on charges or motives.

The incident has drawn significant attention online and in regional media, given the family’s prominent political legacy.

Continue Reading

Crime

BREAKING: ICPC Confirms Nasir El-Rufai in Its Custody, Not DSS

Published

on

43 Views

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has officially confirmed that former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai is currently in its custody in connection with an ongoing investigation.

In a statement issued late Wednesday by the commission’s Head of Media and Public Communications, J. Okor Odey, the ICPC stated: “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, the former Governor of Kaduna State, is in our custody as at close of work today, Wednesday the 18th day of February, 2026. Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations.

“The confirmation comes amid earlier widespread reports suggesting that El-Rufai had been taken into custody by the Department of State Services (DSS) following his release on administrative bail by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) around 8 p.m. on Wednesday.

Witnesses and initial sources indicated that operatives from another security agency—widely reported as the DSS—were waiting at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja and immediately detained him upon his release after two nights in EFCC custody.

However, the ICPC’s statement clarifies that El-Rufai is now under its authority, addressing the confusion in initial media accounts that attributed his latest detention to the DSS.

Details of the specific allegations under ICPC investigation were not disclosed in the statement, though El-Rufai’s earlier EFCC questioning reportedly related to financial matters during his tenure as governor from 2015 to 2023, including probes linked to substantial state funds.

The sequence of events began on Monday when El-Rufai honored an EFCC invitation over alleged corruption, leading to his detention for questioning. After being granted bail on Wednesday evening, the rapid transfer to another agency has sparked fresh developments in what appears to be a multi-agency scrutiny of the former governor.

Further details on the handover process—whether involving the DSS or direct ICPC action—remain unclear, as the ICPC has not elaborated beyond confirming custody. El-Rufai, a prominent political figure and former ally of President Bola Tinubu, has faced multiple probes in recent months.

Continue Reading

Trending