Connect with us

News

We Must Face the Future With Renewed Hope, Vigour – Tinubu Tells Nigerians on Sallah Day

Published

on

677 Views

As Nigerians join their counterparts from across the world to celebrate the Eid-el-Kabir, President Bola Tinubu has asked the citizens to face their future with renewed hope and vigour.

The President made the call in a statement on Tuesday.

“As we embrace the present challenges, we must face the future with vigour and Renewed Hope with the confidence that our tomorrow shall be better and brighter,” he said.

Eid-el-Kabir is a festival of sacrifice and total obedience to Allah as exemplified in the exceptional action of Prophet Ibrahim.

In his Sallah message, Tinubu said there is no greater sense of duty ever recorded in history outside the ennobling example of Prophet Ibrahim in offering his only son Ismail as a sacrifice to Allah.

He said, “The best way by which we can demonstrate this example is in how we conduct ourselves in relation to our fellow citizens and in our duties to our beloved country.

“We must imbibe and manifest those values inherent in Prophet Ibrahim’s life, namely; complete devotion to Allah, tolerance, patience, perseverance, selflessness, love and compassion.”

See the full statement below:

WE MUST MULTIPLY OUR GOOD DEEDS

I join Muslims in Nigeria and all over the world in observance of Eid-el-Kabir. We must thank Almighty Allah for the grace to witness another Eid.

As we immerse ourselves in the joy of this moment and celebrate, let us remember those who may not be as fortunate as us.

Coming as the end of religious activities spanning the first ten days of the Islamic Month of Dhul Hijjah, Eid-el-Kabir enjoins us as Muslims to show mercy and compassion to our fellow humans.

Eid-el-Kabir is a festival of sacrifice and total obedience to Allah as exemplified in the exceptional action of Prophet Ibrahim.

There is no greater sense of duty ever recorded in history outside the ennobling example of Prophet Ibrahim in offering his only son Ismail as a sacrifice to Allah.

The best way by which we can demonstrate this example is in how we conduct ourselves in relation to our fellow citizens and in our duties to our beloved country. We must imbibe and manifest those values inherent in Prophet Ibrahim’s life, namely; complete devotion to Allah, tolerance, patience, perseverance, selflessness, love and compassion.

This season, let us endeavour to multiply good deeds with our kindness to our fellow Muslims and others by helping and supporting the weak and vulnerable in our communities. By so doing, we showcase the values and virtues of our faith.

At the moment, our country is going through some challenges, especially with our struggling economy and simmering security challenges. While I acknowledge all of these, I want to assure you that they are not insurmountable. I am working day and night with my team, fleshing out solutions. We have started with the decisions taken so far, to reform our economy and remove all impediments to growth.

As we embrace the present challenges, we must face the future with vigour and Renewed Hope with the confidence that our tomorrow shall be better and brighter.

I wish you all a happy Sallah celebration.

Bola Tinubu

President, Federal Republic of Nigeria

June 27, 2023

News

Tinubu, Shettima , Jonathan highlight political lessons from Gowon ‘s autobiography ‘My Life of Duty and Allegiance.’

Gowon, on his part, explained that he wrote the memoir to tell his truth rather than settle scores. “My story and that of Nigeria became intertwined,” he told the audience, describing the book as his “modest attempt to document the opportunity I had to serve Nigeria”.

Published

on

By

31 Views

Former Head of State Gen Yakubu Gowon (retd) on Tuesday launched an autobiography, titled ‘My Life of Duty and Allegiance.’

The book launch was graced by Former President Goodluck Jonathan ; Vice‑President Kashim Shettima, former Head of State Gen. Yakubu Gowon (rted) with his wife Victoria, Former Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Martin Luther Agwai (rted) Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar III , and former Head of State, Abdulsalami Abubakar, among other VIPs.

Speaking during the public presentation of the book at the Bola Ahmed Tinubu International Conference Centre, the president, who was represented by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, urged that the memoir be widely circulated to preserve historical memory and strengthen national unity.

President Tinubu emphasised that accounts from leaders who lived through defining moments are essential to deepening democratic stability.

“A nation that misplaces its memory soon begins to quarrel with its own reflection. A society without memory becomes an orphan in time,” he said.

Tinubu told the gathering that Gowon’s reflections arrive at a critical juncture for Nigeria and West Africa, where insecurity, economic pressure and social fragmentation persist.

He praised Gowon’s post-civil war reconciliatory stance, particularly the “No victor, no vanquished” declaration, as a principle that “helped preserve Nigeria’s unity after the civil war”.

Former President Goodluck Jonathan agreed to that Yakubu Gowon’s “No victor, no vanquished” declaration after the Nigerian civil war helped to create the basis for national healing across the country.

Jonathan lauded the former military head of state for his role in strengthening unity, promoting reconciliation and supporting youth development.

He described Gowon as a “living testimony” of leadership during one of Nigeria’s most consequential eras.

Gowon, on his part, explained that he wrote the memoir to tell his truth rather than settle scores. “My story and that of Nigeria became intertwined,” he told the audience, describing the book as his “modest attempt to document the opportunity I had to serve Nigeria”.

He cautioned Nigerians ahead of the 2027 election against listening to “naysayers”, insisting that the nation “did not fail under my watch” and “will never fail despite the country’s challenges”.

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria-U.S kills 175 ISIS terrorists in fresh strikes – DHQ

The operations had also led to the destruction of terrorist checkpoints, weapons caches, logistics hubs, military equipment, and financial networks used to sustain insurgent activities.

Published

on

By

40 Views

•Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen Samaila Uba

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has announced that no fewer than 175 ISIS terrorists were killed on Tuesday in ongoing joint counterterrorism operations conducted by Nigerian troops and the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) in Northeast Nigeria.

The military high command said that the coordinated operations, which commenced a few days ago, have continued to record significant successes against ISIS and ISWAP elements operating in the region.

This was contained in a statement issued by the Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen Samaila Uba.

According to the DHQ, the latest assessment as of May 19, 2026, showed that 175 ISIS militants had been eliminated from the battlefield through sustained ground and air assaults.

The statement noted that the operations had also led to the destruction of terrorist checkpoints, weapons caches, logistics hubs, military equipment, and financial networks used to sustain insurgent activities.

Continue Reading

News

US Nigeria military eliminate more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters in latest airstrike

Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated.

Published

on

By

57 Views

• US President Donald Trump

The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) said Monday the U.S. and Nigerian forces carried out further strikes on ISIS targets on May 17, 2026 and eliminated more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters in Nigeria’s North-East region.

In a statement posted on its official X handle on Monday, the combatant command said that the latest operation comes three days after had eliminated a senior ISIS commander and one of the world’s most wanted terrorists, Abu Bilal al-Minuki, during an operation conducted on Friday.

The statement reads:“On May 17, 2026, U.S. Africa Command, in coordination with the Government of Nigeria, conducted additional kinetic strikes against ISIS in Northeastern Nigeria.

“Intelligence confirmed the targets were ISIS militants. Complete assessments are ongoing. No U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed.

“The removal of these terrorists diminishes the group’s capacity to plan attacks that threaten the safety and security of the U.S. and our partners.”

AFRICOM added that it remains committed to deploying specialised U.S. capabilities in support of partner nations to counter shared security threats and degrade terrorist networks operating across the region.

The Director Defence Information (DDI), Maj.-Gen. Samaila Uba, added that the multiple air strikes followed observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements, resulting in the elimination of more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation.

Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated.

“There will be no haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria” the statement said.

Continue Reading

Trending