Connect with us

News

Subsidy Removal: ‘I Feel Your Pain, Your Sacrifice Won’t Be In Vain’, Tinubu Tells Nigerians

Published

on

508 Views

President Bola Tinubu on Monday sympathised with Nigerians over the pains of the recent subsidy removal on Premium Motor Spirit known as petrol. 

In his 2023 Democracy Day speech on June 12, the President said his decision to remove fuel subsidy during his inauguration on May 29, 2023 is to save Nigeria country from going under and take the country’s resources away from the stranglehold of a few unpatriotic elements.

He asked Nigerians to sacrifice a little more for the survival of the country.

Democracy Day is celebrated yearly on June 12 in honour of the winner of the June 12, 1993, presidential election, the late Chief Moshood Kashimawo Olawale (MKO) Abiola and other heroes of democracy.

Addressing Nigerians on Monday, Tinubu said, “The democracy that will yield right dividends to the people who are the shareholders means more than just freedom of choice and right to get people into elective offices. It means social and economic justice for our people.

“To the winner of June 12, democracy offers the best chance to fight and eliminate poverty. Thirty years ago, he (MKO Abiola) christened his campaign manifesto, ‘Farewell to Poverty’ because he was convinced that there is nothing divine about poverty. It is a man-made problem that can be eliminated with clearly thought-out social and economic policies.

“It is for this reason that, in my inauguration address on May 29, I gave effect to the decision taken by my predecessor-in-office to remove the fuel subsidy albatross and free up for collective use the much-needed resources, which had hitherto been pocketed by a few rich.

“I admit that the decision will impose extra burden on the masses of our people. I feel your pain. This is one decision we must bear to save our country from going under and take our resources away from the stranglehold of a few unpatriotic elements.

“Painfully, I have asked you, my compatriots, to sacrifice a little more for the survival of our country. For your trust and belief in us, I assure you that your sacrifice shall not be in vain. The government I lead will repay you through massive investment in transportation infrastructure, education, regular power supply, healthcare and other public utilities that will improve the quality of lives.”

From N184/Litre To Over N500

The President during his inaugural speech on May 29 at the Eagle Square in Abuja had announced the removal of subsidy payment on petrol. The President said that the immediate past administration of Muhammadu Buhari did not make provisions for subsidy in the 2023 budget beyond June.

Many Nigerians had expected that the new price regime would come into effect by July 1 but almost immediately after the presidential pronouncement, queues resurfaced at filling stations across the country even as retail outlets hoard the product and increase prices.

Already, a litre of petrol is being sold at over N500 across the country following the price adjustment by the Nigerian National Petrol Company (NNPC) Limited and the presidential pronouncement on subsidy removal.

Fuel queues have since surged for the vital commodity, compounding the traffic situation in parts of the country, even as transportation costs skyrocket to more than 100% increment.

The Organised Labour had resolved to embark on a nationwide strike beginning Wednesday but was restrained by a court order of Monday, June 5, 2023. The Organised Labour subsequently shelved its planned strike after a meeting with the Federal Government last week.

News

US Nigeria military eliminate more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters in latest airstrike

Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated.

Published

on

By

26 Views

• US President Donald Trump

The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) said Monday the U.S. and Nigerian forces carried out further strikes on ISIS targets on May 17, 2026 and eliminated more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters in Nigeria’s North-East region.

In a statement posted on its official X handle on Monday, the combatant command said that the latest operation comes three days after had eliminated a senior ISIS commander and one of the world’s most wanted terrorists, Abu Bilal al-Minuki, during an operation conducted on Friday.

The statement reads:“On May 17, 2026, U.S. Africa Command, in coordination with the Government of Nigeria, conducted additional kinetic strikes against ISIS in Northeastern Nigeria.

“Intelligence confirmed the targets were ISIS militants. Complete assessments are ongoing. No U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed.

“The removal of these terrorists diminishes the group’s capacity to plan attacks that threaten the safety and security of the U.S. and our partners.”

AFRICOM added that it remains committed to deploying specialised U.S. capabilities in support of partner nations to counter shared security threats and degrade terrorist networks operating across the region.

The Director Defence Information (DDI), Maj.-Gen. Samaila Uba, added that the multiple air strikes followed observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements, resulting in the elimination of more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation.

Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated.

“There will be no haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria” the statement said.

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Court Grants Nasir El-Rufai N100m Bail Over Alleged National Security Breach

Published

on

24 Views

The Federal High Court in Abuja has granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, in the sum of N100 million with one surety in like sum.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik handed down the ruling on Monday in the case filed by the Department of State Services (DSS), which is prosecuting El-Rufai for alleged breach of national security.

The former governor had publicly admitted on national television to wiretapping the office of the National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

While granting the bail application, Justice Abdulmalik imposed stringent conditions for its perfection. The proposed surety must:

  • Reside in either Maitama or Asokoro, Abuja, and deposit the original Certificate of Occupancy of a landed property with the court registry.
  • Be a federal civil servant on Grade Level 17 or above.
  • Submit proof of salary payments for the past three months, supported by an authentication letter from the branch bank manager within the court’s jurisdiction.
  • Swear to an affidavit of means, sign a bail bond, and provide a recent passport photograph.

Additionally, El-Rufai must surrender all his valid passports to the court. The surety is also required to provide a verification letter from his immediate department and a tax clearance certificate for the last six months.

The court further directed El-Rufai to submit a letter of attestation from the Chairman of the Kaduna State Traditional Council.

As part of the bail conditions, the former governor must report to the DSS headquarters on the last Friday of every month by 10 a.m. to sign the attendance register until the determination of the case.

Justice Abdulmalik warned that any violation of these conditions would result in the immediate revocation of the bail. The court also ordered an accelerated hearing of the matter.

Continue Reading

News

Abu-Bilal al-Minuki: Deadly But Harmless Looking – Poison Dart Frog

Positions that used to be dominated by Syrian and Iraqis in the top echelons of the Islamic State leadership are now filled by African veteran jihadists from all over the continent.

Published

on

By

46 Views
  

Abu Bilal al-Mainuki was elevated to the position of head of the Islamic State General Directorate of Provinces, replacing Abdul Qadir Mumin (Somali national) only three months ago in February 2026.

This placed him as the second in charge of the Islamic State global organization right after the Caliph Abu Hafs al-Hashimi.

Positions that used to be dominated by Syrian and Iraqis in the top echelons of the Islamic State leadership are now filled by African veteran jihadists from all over the continent.

Before February 2026, Abu Bilal al-Mainuki was head of the al-Furqan regional office which oversees the Sahelian, Libyan and West African Provinces.

Before that he was second-in-command to Abu Musab al-Barnawi, he was a staunch ally of the latter during the split and war against Shekau’s JAS (Boko Haram) and was a significant pillar in consolidating the gains captured from Shekau following his death and the mass defections from JAS to ISWAP.

Continue Reading

Trending