Connect with us

Health

MPOX: Nigeria, Others To Benefit As WHO Plans $135m Fund

Published

on

243 Views

Nigeria and several other countries that have been recently hit by the Monkey Pox (MPOX) outbreak, stand to benefit from a $135m funding plan by the World Health Organization (WHO).

A statement by the organisation on Monday said the fund was necessary as it has launched a global Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan to stop outbreaks of human-to-human transmission of mpox through coordinated global, regional, and national efforts.

This follows the declaration of a public health emergency of international concern by the WHO Director-General on 14 August.

Although the current plan is subject to inputs by WHO’s member states, who were briefed on the plan on 23 August, the plan covers the six-month period of September 2024-February 2025.

During the period, a $135m funding need is envisioned for the response by WHO, member states, and partners, including the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) which Nigeria is a member, communities, and researchers, among others.

The plan, which builds on the temporary recommendations and standing recommendations issued by the WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus focuses on implementing comprehensive surveillance, prevention, readiness and response strategies; advancing research and equitable access to medical countermeasures like diagnostic tests and vaccines; minimising animal-to-human transmission; and empowering communities to actively participate in outbreak prevention and control.

Strategic vaccination efforts will focus on individuals at the highest risk, including close contacts of recent cases and healthcare workers, to interrupt transmission chains.At the global level, the emphasis will be on strategic leadership, timely evidence-based guidance, and access to medical countermeasures for the most at-risk groups in affected countries.

WHO said it is working with a broad range of international, regional, national and local partners and networks to enhance coordination across key areas of preparedness, readiness and response.

This includes engagement with the ACT-Accelerator Principals group; the Standing Committee on Health Emergency Prevention, Preparedness and Response; the R&D Blueprint for Epidemics; and the interim Medical Counter Measures Network (i-MCM Net).

“The mpox outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and neighbouring countries can be controlled and can be stopped.

“Doing so requires a comprehensive and coordinated plan of action between international agencies and national and local partners, civil society, researchers and manufacturers, and our Member States.

This SPRP provides that plan, based on the principles of equity, global solidarity, community empowerment, human rights, and coordination across sectors,” said Dr Ghebreyesus.

Nigeria Intensifies Surveillance As Mpox Cases Hit 39The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said a total of 39 confirmed cases and zero deaths from mpox have been recorded across 33 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

Director General of the NCDC, Jide Idris, made the revelation at a press briefing on the declaration of mpox as a public health emergency of international concern earlier in the month.

He said the NCDC is intensifying surveillance across Nigeria to swiftly detect and respond to new cases.

According to Idris, the NCDC all port health services across all five international airports, 10 seaports, and 51 land/foot crossing borders are on high alert.

He added that some states have also been put on high alert including Lagos, Enugu, Kano, Rivers, Cross-River, Akwa-Ibom, Adamawa, Taraba, and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

WHO recently declared the mpox surge in Africa a global public health emergency, worried by the rise in cases in DRC and the spread to nearby countries.

The WHO called a meeting of experts to study the outbreak and make a recommendation to Dr Ghebreyesus.

“Today, the emergency committee met and advised me that in its view, the situation constitutes a public health emergency of international concern. I have accepted that advice,” Tedros told a press conference.

“This is something that should concern us all. WHO is committed in the days and weeks ahead to coordinate the global response, working closely with each of the affected countries, and leveraging our on-the-ground presence, to prevent transmission, treat those infected, and save lives.

”The decision comes after the African Union’s health watchdog declared its public health emergency over the growing outbreak.

Mpox has swept through the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the virus formerly called monkeypox was first discovered in humans in 1970, and spread to other countries.

Tedros said the more than 14,000 cases and 524 deaths reported so far this year in DR Congo have already exceeded last year’s total.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Federal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure

Published

on

39 Views

The Federal Ministry of Health has directed the immediate retirement of all directors who have served at least eight years in the directorate cadre, effective from December 31, 2025.

The directive, outlined in a memo signed by Tetshoma Dafeta, Director overseeing the Office of the Permanent Secretary, enforces the eight-year tenure policy for directors as stipulated in Section 020909 of the Revised Public Service Rules 2021.

It applies to directors across the ministry, federal hospitals, agencies, and parastatals under its supervision.

The move aligns with a broader Federal Government circular from the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, which reiterated the compulsory retirement rule for directors (Grade Level 17 or equivalent) after eight years in the position, as part of efforts to ensure compliance across all Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs).

The policy has sparked concerns from the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU), which has criticized what it describes as selective implementation of retirement age reviews in the health sector.

JOHESU argues that such policies favor certain cadres over others, potentially undermining equity, teamwork, morale, and overall efficiency in healthcare delivery.

The ministry’s action follows recent government-wide enforcement of tenure limits for senior civil servants, including permanent secretaries. Affected directors are to be disengaged immediately, with institutions required to implement the directive without delay.

Continue Reading

Health

More than 95,000 died of suicide so far in 2026 — WHO

Certain vulnerable populations face disproportionately higher risks, including refugees and migrants, indigenous peoples, LGBTI persons, prisoners, and others who experience discrimination, social exclusion or limited access to support services.

Published

on

By

82 Views

World Health Organization (WHO) data reported that more than 95,000 people have died by suicide globally since the start of 2026.

According to Worldometer, the figure as of the time of this report, stands at 95, 406 so far in 2026.

The early-year toll highlights the continuing scale of suicide as a major global public health challenge.

WHO estimates show that about 727, 000 people die by suicide every year worldwide, with millions more attempting to take their own lives.

Health experts note that while annual suicide figures are usually released with a reporting delay, real-time counters help illustrate how frequently lives are lost to a largely preventable cause.

Suicide occurs across all regions and age groups, but WHO data indicate that it remains one of the leading causes of death among young people aged 15 to 29, ranking third globally in that age group in 2021.

The impact extends far beyond individuals, leaving long-lasting emotional, social and economic consequences for families, communities and entire nations.

Contrary to common assumptions, suicide is not limited to high-income countries.

WHO reports that nearly three-quarters (73%) of global suicides occur in low- and middle-income countries, where access to mental health care and social support services is often limited.

While suicide is closely linked to mental health conditions such as depression and alcohol use disorders, particularly in high-income countries,WHO notes that many suicides occur impulsively during moments of acute crisis.

These crises may stem from financial stress, relationship conflicts, chronic pain, illness, exposure to violence, displacement, or a profound sense of isolation.

Certain vulnerable populations face disproportionately higher risks, including refugees and migrants, indigenous peoples, LGBTI persons, prisoners, and others who experience discrimination, social exclusion or limited access to support services.

WHO stresses that suicide is preventable and requires a coordinated public health response rather than isolated interventions.

Evidence-based and often low-cost measures, such as restricting access to lethal means, promoting responsible media reporting, strengthening life skills among adolescents, and ensuring early identification and follow-up care for those at risk, have been shown to save

Continue Reading

Health

WHO: United States membership withdrawal takes effect

Reacting to the development, WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, expressed regret over the decision and urged the United States to reconsider.

Published

on

By

129 Views

The United States’ withdrawal from the World Health Organisation (WHO) officially took effect on Thursday, exactly one year after President Donald Trump ordered the country to pull out of the global health body.

Under the terms governing WHO membership, a withdrawal becomes effective after a mandatory one-year notice period, which expired on Thursday 22 January, following the executive order signed by Trump shortly after he took office in 2025.

Although the agreement requires the United States to settle all outstanding financial obligations before withdrawal, that condition has not been met. However, the WHO has no legal mechanism to enforce payment or prevent a member state from exiting the organisation.

Reacting to the development, WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, expressed regret over the decision and urged the United States to reconsider.

“The withdrawal is a loss for the United States and also a loss for the rest of the world,” Tedros said, adding that the organisation remains open to the country’s return.

President Trump had justified the decision by accusing the WHO of mishandling the COVID-19 pandemic, which originated in Wuhan, China, as well as other global health emergencies.

He also cited the organisation’s alleged failure to implement necessary reforms and its inability to operate independently of political influence from member states.

Continue Reading

Trending