News
Just In: NPF Debunks Forceful Evictions of Officers for Reconstruction of Falomo Barracks
The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) says on Monday that contrary to recent media reports, no officers were forcefully evicted from the Falomo Police Barracks, Lagos State.
In a statement with Reference No. CZ.5300/FPRD/FHQ/ABJ/VOL.6/256 dated October 14th, 2024 ACP Olumuyiwa Adejobi, Force PRO, Force Headquarters, Abuja, clarifies that the occupants were given adequate notice, provided relocation assistance, and compensated with N2,000,000 each to secure alternative accommodations. “
Furthermore, they will receive monthly rent allowances in line with provisions for officers not residing in the barracks.
Upon completion of the new facility, these officers will be allotted housing units, ensuring a seamless transition back to improved living conditions.
We urge the public to dismiss false narratives regarding this reconstruction and recognize the broader objective of enhancing police welfare,” he said.
The statement added: “The NPF remains committed to the well-being of its personnel, understanding that dignified living conditions are essential to effective service delivery.
The rebuilding of Falomo Barracks reflects our unwavering resolve to provide safe, decent housing for officers, a vision that aligns with global standards and safeguards the future of those who serve.
We appeal to the public to support these reforms, which aim to enhance the quality of life for our officers and strengthen the foundation of public service in Nigeria.
“ACP Adejobi, explained that the barracks, previously in disrepair, will undergo a complete redesign and reconstruction to provide modern, habitable accommodations that reflect the dignity our officers deserve.
This project was initiated under the leadership of former Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Usman Baba Alkali, in collaboration with the Lagos State Government and private sector partners through a Public-Private Partnership (PPP).
The current IGP, Dr. Kayode Adeolu Egbetokun, reaffirmed the Force’s commitment to improving officers’ housing by convening the first Nigeria Police Force Housing Summit on April 23-24, 2024.
This summit brought together stakeholders to chart a sustainable path toward improved police welfare.
A nationwide assessment revealed that less than 25% of police personnel have access to adequate barracks accommodations, with 90% of existing barracks falling into severe disrepair.
Many of these structures are dangerously unsafe, posing a clear risk to occupants.
The urgent reconstruction of these facilities, including Falomo Barracks, is not only necessary but aligned with international best practices to ensure the safety and well-being of our officers.
The IGP, through the NPF Property Development and Construction Company, has leveraged PPP arrangements to rebuild existing barracks and provide affordable housing for officers.
PPP models, which integrate private sector investment into public infrastructure, have been successfully adopted across various sectors in Nigeria, such as rail projects and university hostels, and globally in police housing initiatives.
Several countries around the world have successfully employed PPPs to provide modern housing for police personnel, with global examples of PPPs in Police Infrastructure including:
•United Kingdom: PPPs have been utilized to develop and manage police estates and accommodations.
•Australia: The New South Wales Police Force has partnered with private developers for residential facilities.
•United States: Cities like Los Angeles, New York, and Chicago have adopted PPP models for police housing.
•Canada: The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) has engaged private developers for police accommodations.
•South Africa, Egypt, and Morocco: These countries have implemented PPPs to address the housing needs of their police forces.
•India and Singapore: State governments and police forces have collaborated with private developers to upgrade infrastructure and residential facilities.
•Algeria and Ethiopia: These nations are actively pursuing PPP models to build thousands of housing units for police and military personnel.
The growing adoption of PPPs reflects a global trend toward sustainable infrastructure development and enhanced police welfare.
News
NMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards
NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
The Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) said that it has shortlisted 972 of 1,112 entries for this year’s awards.
The Chairman of the NMMA Panel of Assessors, Otunba Dele Adetiba, said that the entries for the 34th edition cut across print, radio, and television categories.
Chairman of the NMMA Board of Trustees, Prof. Dayo Duyile, said that the award was established in 1990 to promote professionalism, ethical journalism and excellence among media practitioners.
Duyile, a veteran journalist and academic, said the NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
News
Nigerian Law school student dies after falling from hostel rooftop
The deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.
•Faith Alayande
A Nigerian Law School student identified as Faith Alayande, is dead after she fell from the rooftop at Lagos campus.
In a statement on Monday, Aderonke Osho, secretary to the council and director of administration, said that the deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.
Osho said preliminary findings revealed that the student died from injuries sustained after falling from the rooftop of the campus hostel around 4am on Friday.
The Nigerian Law School is deeply saddened by this tragic development.
“Management is working closely with the appropriate authorities and the family to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident, ensure that all necessary procedures are duly followed, and provide further information as appropriate.”
News
Ekwulobia Suspends New Yam Festival for Kidnap Billionaire Son
A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.
• Joseph Ezeokafor
Ekwulobia community in Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State has cancelled its New Yam festival celebration billed for September 4, 2026.
Ohibaba.com learned that this is because of the kidnap of billionaire businessman and owner of Jezco Group of Companies, Chief Joseph Ezeokafor.
Ezeokafor was kidnapped in Awka on Tuesday last week when he stepped out of his house without his security details to attend to his spiritual need, where he goes to offer prays.
Public Relations Officer of Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga who confirmed the development said that serious operation is currently ongoing to save the elder statesman.
His kidnap has sent his community into mourning, causing the postponement of the new Yam festival, an annual festival which holds on a static date every year.
A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.
“The Igwe said the community of Ekwulobia cannot celebrate while their son remains in the custody of the kidnappers,” the source said.
-
Sports3 days agoCommittees hit the ground running for 8th Kwara State Sports Festival
-
Health3 days agoGov Mbah Invest in world-class Enugu International Hospital
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: First Results Emerge as Voting Ends, Collation Begins at Polling Units
-
Politics2 days ago(UPDATED) #OsunDecides2026: INEC Uploads 3,119 of 3,763 Polling Unit Results as Collation Continues
-
Politics3 days agoHAPPENING NOW: Security Beefed up at INEC Office in Osun Ahead of Saturday’s Governorship Election
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Poll: Youths Accuse APC of Vote-Buying in Ejigbo (Video)
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: Adeleke Urges Tinubu to Protect Votes During Collation
-
Politics1 day ago#OsunDecides2026: Accord Party in early lead, APC trails behind
