Business
JUST IN: Equinor Completes Assets Sale, Ends 31-Year Business Partnership With Nigeria
Norwegian energy giant, Equinor has announced the decision to end its almost 31-year business partnership with Nigeria, after finalising the sale of its oil assets.
A statement by the company on Monday said the sale of its assets was completed on December 6, 2024.
“With this exit, we realise the value and execute on our strategy to focus the international portfolio, and in combination with recent acquisitions and investments in our competitive projects, we seek to sustain long-term production and profitability,” says Philippe Mathieu, executive vice president for international exploration and production in Equinor.
The value of the transaction amounted to up to $1.2 billion, consisting of a purchase price of $710 million and the remainder in contingent payments.
“Nigeria has been an important country in our international portfolio for decades. Together with partners and suppliers, we have created significant value for Equinor and society at large. I would like to thank Nigeria and our employees in Nigeria for their great work and dedication over the years and wish our people well in the transition of their professional journey,” Mathieu continues.
The divestments of assets and exits from operations in Nigeria were first announced in 2023.
The international oil company said the assets sale is in line with the strategy of optimising its oil and gas portfolio.
“The exits enable investments to deepen further in countries where Equinor can add the most value and build a more focused and robust international portfolio,” he added.
The total equity production from the assets has been on average 18,700 barrels of oil per day, respectively, in the first three quarters of 2024.
The closing of these transactions will have a positive impact on the cash flow for the fourth quarter of 2024, the company said.
The deal grants Chappal Energies a 53.85 per cent ownership stake in Oil Mining Lease (OML) 128, including a unitised 20.21 per cent interest in the prolific Agbami oil field operated by Chevron.
The Agbami field is one of Nigeria’s largest deep-water oil fields, which began production in 2008 and has produced over one billion barrels of oil to date, solidifying its importance as one of the country’s most productive offshore assets.
In addition to the acquisition, Chappal Energies will assume operatorship of OML 129, an asset with considerable potential.
The block includes the Nnwa, Bilah, and Sehki discoveries, with the Nnwa discovery being part of the larger Nnwa-Doro gas field. Nnwa-Doro, a major gas resource, has been stranded for over 20 years despite its vast reserves and strategic importance to Nigeria’s energy goals.
Business
IEA chief warns Oil market could enter ‘red zone’ by July as stocks dwindle ahead of summer travel season
Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz..
•Faith Birol
Fatih Birol, executive director of the International Energy Agency (IEA) warned on Thursday that the oil markets could soon enter a “red zone” as global stocks deplete and as demand picks up during the summer travel season.
Birol’s comments came during a Chatham House session on the Strait of Hormuz crisis and global energy security.
Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz.
” If it fails to reopen and no new oil is coming online from the Middle East, an ongoing drawdown in global stockpiles combined with an uptick in demand during the summer travel season means oil markets “may be entering the red zone in July or August,” Birol said, without elaborating further.
The IEA has previously said the global market is facing the most severe disruption in its history. That’s despite, Birol said, the market having benefitted from being in the “fortunate” position of entering the crisis with a surplus to help absorb the shock. These stocks, however, are now eroding, Birol said.
Typically, roughly 20% of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes through the Strait of Hormuz, but shipping traffic has virtually halted since U.S. and Israeli-led strikes against Iran started on Feb. 28.
The IEA chief said the “biggest pain of this crisis will be felt in developing Asia and Africa,” adding that he was just as concerned about the impact of the Iran war on global food security as he was on energy security.
Business
Femi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
The Chairman of First HoldCo, Femi Otedola, said on Wednesday “From on a personal note, I’ve appealed to him (Aliko Dangote to allocate to me shares worth $100 million private placement, ahead of the Refinery’s initial public offer.”
“That’s one of the reasons I sold my stake in Geregu plant to come and invest my proceeds in the IPO of Dangote refinery.”
Otedola told journalists when he led top executives of First HoldCo on a tour of the refinery and the fertiliser plans in the Lekki free trade zone area.
The team also visited key project sites such as the jetty, a facility built by Dangote industries to receive large vessels.
The private placement is the latest announcement in the refinery’s Initial Public Offering plan, IPO expected later in the year.
Business
CBN Holds Benchmark Interest Rate at 26.5% Amid Renewed Inflation Concerns
The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has retained the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 26.5 per cent, maintaining the current stance after its two-day meeting that ended on Wednesday, May 20, 2026.
CBN Governor Olayemi Cardoso announced the decision, noting that the committee voted unanimously to hold all key parameters unchanged. The asymmetric corridor around the MPR remains at +500/-450 basis points, the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) stays at 45 per cent for commercial banks and 16 per cent for merchant banks, while the liquidity ratio is retained at 30 per cent.
The hold comes as headline inflation rose for a second consecutive month to 15.69 per cent in April 2026, up from previous levels, driven largely by food inflation at 16.06 per cent and higher transportation costs. Cardoso emphasised the need for a cautious and vigilant approach to anchor inflation expectations and safeguard macroeconomic stability.
This decision aligns with analysts’ expectations ahead of the 305th MPC meeting and follows the first rate cut in years implemented in February 2026, when the MPR was reduced by 50 basis points to the current 26.5 per cent.
The CBN Governor highlighted ongoing reforms, exchange rate stability, and efforts to improve food supply as factors supporting the disinflation process, even as global and domestic risks persist. The next MPC meeting is expected in July.
The retention signals the apex bank’s priority on taming inflation while monitoring the impact of previous policy actions on the broader economy.
-
Politics2 days agoKwankwaso denies upteenth times, “I’m not working for Tinubu’s political interests “
-
News3 days agoDHQ says JAS terrorists carried out Oyo kidnap
-
Politics1 day agoAPC Presidential Primary: Massive turnout as Amosun, Gov Abiodun, Adeola join party faithfuls at wards, commend exercise
-
Sports2 days agoFIFA releases 2026 World Cup anthem ‘Goals’, by Rema, LISA, Anitta
-
News2 days agoBurial begins for Oyo school teacher killed by JAS terrorist group
-
Entertainment2 days agoAnnie Macaulay announces “I’m back to acting”
-
Sports2 days agoMan Utd permanents Carrick as manager
-
Politics2 days agoAPC PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY: Gov Alia Unveils Election Materials, Assures of Transparent Process in Benue
