News
FG Lashes Out At Sanusi “We Don’t Need Your Stamp of Approval for Our Laudable Policies”
He expressed disappointment that reforms widely recognized as essential by global experts, including the Emir, are now being subtly condemned “because of a shift in loyalty
The Federal Government has reacted to the comment of the 16th Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammad Sanusi II, that he would not help President Bola Tinubu’s administration to correct the administration’s policies affecting the citizens.
Sanusi stoked controversy on Wednesday in Lagos as the chairman of the 21st Anniversary of Gani Fawehinmi’s Annual Lecture 2025.
According to the Emir, he would not help the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu-led because “they don’t behave like friends.”
But on Thursday, Mohammed Idris, Minister of Information and National Orientation, in a statement, said that the federal government does need Sanusi’s stamp of approval for its ‘laudable policies’.
He expressed disappointment that reforms widely recognized as essential by global experts, including the Emir, are now being subtly condemned “because of a shift in loyalty”.
Given Sanusi’s background in economics, the minister said the Emir has a unique responsibility to contribute constructively rather than undermine reforms aimed at collective progress because he feels estranged from his “friends” in government.
The statement reads in parts:“ The Federal Government notes the recent remarks by His Highness, Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II, regarding the economic reforms introduced under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration, at a public event in Lagos.
We note the emir’s acknowledgment of the noble initiatives which, he said, he could explain away but for his decision “not to help the government”.
“First, we acknowledge that Sanusi, and indeed any Nigerian, has the inalienable right to express an opinion either in the form of commendation or criticism on how the government is being run.
“It is pertinent to state that Nigeria is at a pivotal juncture where bold and decisive actions are necessary to tackle entrenched economic challenges.
“This administration has implemented transformative reforms not because they are easy, but because they are essential for securing Nigeria’s long-term stability and growth, as Emir Sanusi had consistently advocated.
News
Defence Headquarters say X Account Compromised
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has issued a notification to the public, media representatives, and relevant stakeholders regarding the compromise of its official account on X (formerly known as Twitter).
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.
He said “appropriate technical measures had been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access.”
Uba assured the public that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the account, while advising members of the public to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content posted from the account during the period.
News
Edo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns Amid Impeachment Plot (Video)
The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has resigned following moves by some lawmakers to impeach him.
Agbebaku said his decision came after extensive consultations with his constituency and party leaders.
In related developments, other principal officers of the House, including the Majority Leader and his deputy, have been suspended.
Agbebaku had served as Speaker for six years, having assumed the position during the tenure of former Governor Godwin Obaseki. He defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC) after the 2024 Edo governorship election.
Yekini Idiaye has emerged as the new Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly.
Watch video below:
News
NMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards
NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
The Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) said that it has shortlisted 972 of 1,112 entries for this year’s awards.
The Chairman of the NMMA Panel of Assessors, Otunba Dele Adetiba, said that the entries for the 34th edition cut across print, radio, and television categories.
Chairman of the NMMA Board of Trustees, Prof. Dayo Duyile, said that the award was established in 1990 to promote professionalism, ethical journalism and excellence among media practitioners.
Duyile, a veteran journalist and academic, said the NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
-
Health3 days agoGov Mbah Invest in world-class Enugu International Hospital
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: First Results Emerge as Voting Ends, Collation Begins at Polling Units
-
Politics2 days ago(UPDATED) #OsunDecides2026: INEC Uploads 3,119 of 3,763 Polling Unit Results as Collation Continues
-
Politics3 days agoHAPPENING NOW: Security Beefed up at INEC Office in Osun Ahead of Saturday’s Governorship Election
-
Politics3 hours agoKebbi Governor picks new running mate , Ibrahim Augie
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: Adeleke Urges Tinubu to Protect Votes During Collation
-
Politics1 day agoBREAKING: Adeleke coasts to victory winning 19 LGs, APC’s Oyebamiji secures 11 LGs
-
Politics1 day agoBREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll
