Connect with us

Business

Dangote Commends Tinubu on Impact of Crude for Naira Swap Deal

Published

on

293 Views

…As Dangote Refinery partners MRS to sell PMS at N935 per litre nationwide at its retail outlets

Foremost entrepreneur and President of the Dangote Industries Limited, Aliko Dangote has commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for the positive impact of the naira for crude swap deal on the Nigerian economy, which has led to reduction in prices of petroleum products in the country.

To provide succour to Nigerians, Dangote recently reduced the price of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) from N970 to N899.50 at its Refinery loading gantry and provided generous credit terms to marketers.

“To ensure that this price reduction gets to the end consumer, we have signed a partnership with MRS to sell petrol from its retail outlets nationwide at N935 per litre” he added.

This price has already commenced in Lagos, and it will be offered nationwide from Monday.

In his statement, he called on other oil marketers such as the NNPC Retail and all other marketers, “to work with us to ensure that Nigerians enjoy high-quality petrol at discounted prices.

”According to him, “The Dangote Refinery is for the benefit of Nigeria and Nigerians. We will therefore continue to work with various value chain players to deliver high quality petrol at cheaper prices.

Our aim is for all Nigerians to have ready access to high quality petroleum products that are good for their vehicles, good for their health, and good for their pockets.

Recall that in September, the Federal Executive Council (FEC) under the leadership of Mr. President approved the sale of crude to local refineries in Naira and corresponding purchase of petroleum products in Naira.

The move, which commenced on October 1, led to reduced pressure on the dollar and ensured the stability of the local currency.

Dangote thanked Nigerians for their unwavering support and the government for creating an enabling environment for the domestic refining industry.

Business

ALTON Confirms Banks cleared N300bn USSD debts

The debt problem that had lingered for over four years was resolved through the intervention of the NCC under the leadership of its Executive Vice Chairman, Dr. Aminu Maida.

Published

on

By

18 Views

The Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) has confirmed that Deposits Money Banks (DMBs) have paid the estimated N300 billion debts they owed telecom operators for Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) services.

ALTON Chairman, Engr. Gbenga Adebayo disclosed this yesterday during the group’s official visit to the Board Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Idris Olorunnimbe in Lagos.

According to Adebayo, paying off the debt brought to a close years of accusations and counter-accusations between the banks and telecom operators.

Adebayo said that the debt problem that had lingered for over four years was resolved through the intervention of the NCC under the leadership of its Executive Vice Chairman, Dr. Aminu Maida.

While commending the leadership of the NCC for their recent interventions including the approval of 50 percent end user tariff adjustment last year, Adebayo said the Commission has steered the ship of the sector through one of its most delicate periods.

“When Dr. Maida assumed office, he inherited significant industry challenges. One of the most difficult was the USSD debt crisis — a debt burden that grew over four years to nearly N300 billion. It had become a systemic risk to our sector and the digital financial ecosystem.

“Through firm leadership, structured engagement, and decisive coordination, Dr. Maida and his team resolved this issue.

“Today, there is no outstanding USSD debt. The ecosystem has fully migrated to end-user billing. What was once a looming crisis has been converted into a sustainable framework,” Adebayo stated.

Continue Reading

Business

FAAN stops cash collection at airports nationwide

Beyond compliance with government policy, the MD/CE highlighted the enormous benefits of a cashless system to the aviation ecosystem, including reduction in leakages, improved transaction traceability, faster service delivery, and enhanced public confidence in airport operations.

Published

on

By

21 Views

FAAN MD, Mrs Olubunmi Kuku

Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) will stop collecting cash across all airport payment points nationwide, effective February 28, 2026.

FAAN Managing Director, Mrs. Olubunmi Kuku, stated this during a visit by executives and members of the National Union of Air Transport Employees (NUATE), who sought clarification on the decision to discontinue cash transactions at airports.

In her address, the MD/CE emphasised that the transition to a cashless system is not only in line with global best practices in aviation management but also consistent with Federal Government’s directives aimed at enhancing transparency, accountability, and operational efficiency.

She referenced a Treasury Circular dated November 24, 2025, issued by the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation and signed by the Accountant-General, Shamseldeen Ogunjimi, mandating the cessation of cash transactions in all government dealings.

The directive followed approval by the Federal Executive Council for Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to discontinue physical cash collections and payments as part of broader public finance reforms

“There is no going back on this decision,” she said, stressing that the cashless initiative aligns FAAN with national financial management reforms while positioning Nigeria’s airports for greater operational integrity, improved service delivery, and stronger revenue assurance.

Beyond compliance with government policy, the MD/CE highlighted the enormous benefits of a cashless system to the aviation ecosystem, including reduction in leakages, improved transaction traceability, faster service delivery, and enhanced public confidence in airport operations.

Continue Reading

Business

CBN’s Cardoso Advocates cross-border payments reform at G-24 meeting

“With global remittance corridors costing over 6.0 percent, settlement lags of several days, and compliance burdens that exclude MSMEs, millions remain disconnected from global opportunity.”

Published

on

By

25 Views

Olayemi Cardoso, governor, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has called for reforming cross-border payments system , asserting that its too inefficient to support inclusive growth in developing economies.

Cardoso made the call on Thursday during the G-24 Technical Group Meetings in Abuja, warning that high costs and settlement delays are shutting millions out of global trade and finance.

” It is not merely a technical upgrade but a macroeconomic priority, as the channels through which capital, remittances and trade flow increasingly shape financial stability”,said Cardoso.

He emphasised that payment systems now sit at the heart of global economic integration and financial stability, but remain structurally biased against emerging and developing markets.

“Today, cross-border payments remain too slow, too costly, and too fragmented, especially for developing economies,” Cardoso said.

“With global remittance corridors costing over 6.0 percent, settlement lags of several days, and compliance burdens that exclude MSMEs, millions remain disconnected from global opportunity.”

Continue Reading

Trending