Business
Competition Tribunal Orders Coca – Cola to pay N190 million misleading Fines Within 60 Days
Upholding the FCCPC’s five-year investigation, findings, and imposed penalties, the tribunal ruled that NBC’s conduct constituted misleading practices in violation of Nigerian law.
The tribunal criticised the FCCPC’s acceptance of the post-judgment settlement, saying it conflicted with the commission’s regulatory obligations.
The Competition and Consumer Protection Tribunal ( CCPT) has ordered the Nigerian Bottling Company Limited (NBC), also known as Coca-Cola Nigeria Limited to pay the N190 million administrative penalty imposed on the company for misleading packaging, within 60 days .
This was contrary to the settlement reached between the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) and the NBC in the case that stemmed from an August 2024 announcement by the FCCPC in which it accused Coca-Cola and NBC of engaging in unfair marketing tactics and misleading consumers.
In a judgment delivered on Monday, April 28, a three-member panel led by presiding judge Thomas Okosun dismissed NBC’s application to adopt the settlement terms as judgment, describing it as an “attempt to arrest judgment.”
NBC’s counsel, O. Ogunride, had informed the tribunal of a settlement agreement reached with the FCCPC, requesting its adoption as a consent judgment.
The FCCPC’s representative, Abimbola Ojenike, confirmed the existence of the settlement, stating that discussions had been finalised with Akoji Achimugu, the commission’s legal director.
However, the tribunal pointed out that the terms of settlement were filed after judgment had been reserved and both parties had submitted their final written arguments.
Okosun ruled that “the notion of arrest of judgment is unknown to Nigerian law,” stressing that entering a settlement at this stage exceeded the FCCPC’s statutory authority and undermined its role as a regulator.
The tribunal criticised the FCCPC’s acceptance of the post-judgment settlement, saying it conflicted with the commission’s regulatory obligations.
The tribunal emphasized its constitutional duty to the public, asserting that it could not engage in private compromises between parties.
The panel also criticized the FCCPC’s sudden shift from its earlier position, noting that the proposed settlement declared “there is no penalty,” directly contradicting the commission’s findings from its investigation.
Consequently, the tribunal rejected the settlement and proceeded to deliver its final judgment.
Upholding the FCCPC’s five-year investigation, findings, and imposed penalties, the tribunal ruled that NBC’s conduct constituted misleading practices in violation of Nigerian law.
It affirmed that the ₦190 million administrative penalty was consistent with the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Act (FCCPA) and the 1999 Constitution (as amended).
NBC’s appeal was dismissed for lack of merit, and the company was ordered to pay the fine within 60 days.
Business
FG plans largest dairy, cattle ranches in Ogun — Abiodun
” Whenever investors express interest in Nigeria, President Tinubu often directs them to Ogun State. His leadership has rekindled hope among Nigerians at home and in the diaspora,” the governor said.
Photo: Governor Dapo Abiodun
OGUN State Governor, Dapo Abiodun said today: ” The Federal Government is siting the largest dairy and cattle ranches in Nigeria at Ipokia and Yewa South Local Government Areas, with an initial capacity of 5,000 herds of cattle.”
The governor made the announcement during the All Progressives Congress (APC) Strategic Stakeholders Meeting at the Cultural Centre, Kuto, Abeokuta, noting that the initiative is part of broader efforts to strengthen food security, boost local agricultural production, and deepen value chains across the state.
“The biggest dairy and cattle ranches will soon be established in Yewa South and Ipokia. This is at the instance of Mr. President. These farms will start with 5,000 herds of cattle, and work will begin very soon,” Abiodun said.
He commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his economic reforms, highlighting their role in stabilising the foreign exchange market, eliminating multiple exchange-rate regimes, and boosting Nigeria’s foreign reserves to about $45 billion.
Abiodun also praised the President for consistent support towards Ogun State, including approvals for projects such as the Sagamu–Ijebu Ode Road reconstruction, funding of the Eba oil discovery, and resuscitation of OKLNG.
“Whenever investors express interest in Nigeria, President Tinubu often directs them to Ogun State. His leadership has rekindled hope among Nigerians at home and in the diaspora,” the governor said.
Business
12 states harmonise new tax reforms, says Oyedele
“Let us stop using consultants to collect taxes. It undermines our ability to do what is right. The new tax law says you cannot use consultants to do the routine work of the tax authority and its autonomy must be guaranteed.”
Chairman of the Presidential Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms Committee, Taiwo Oyedele, says that twelve states have so far adopted tax reform and harmonised the new acts with their laws.
Oyedele disclosed this during a presentation at the National Economic Council Conference in Abuja, yesterday.
Oyedele said that besides the 12 states, 13 states have the bills in their houses of assembly, while 11 states are in the final stages of presenting the bills.
He said it was important for the states to adopt and harmonise the new tax laws with their state tax laws to avoid multiple taxation.
He advised state governors to grant their internal revenue agencies autonomy.
“Let us stop using consultants to collect taxes. It undermines our ability to do what is right. The new tax law says you cannot use consultants to do the routine work of the tax authority and its autonomy must be guaranteed,” he said.
Business
Heineken to cut global workforce by 6,000 as beer demands falter
There are fears that Nigeria would be impacted as the company revealed that the cuts would be focused on non-priority markets offering fewer growth prospects.
• Heineken
Global brewer, Heineken, yesterday, said it would retrench 6,000 staff out of its 87,000 global workforce this year as it grapples with weak demand and rising costs.
The second biggest brewer by market value has promised to deliver higher growth with less resources as it looks to assuage investors who said it has fallen behind on efficiency.
This is coming right after the surprise January resignation of its current Chief Executive Officer, Dolf van den Brink, leaving the company scrambling for a new CEO.Also, sales across the sector are faltering amid strained consumer finances, geopolitical turbulence and bad weather.
The company said this productivity drive will unlock savings and reduce its global head count by 5,000 to 6,000 positions over the next two years, roughly seven percent of its global workforce of 87,000 people.
The company’s head of finance, Harold van den Broek, added that they are doing this to strengthen operations and to be able to invest in growth.
There are fears that Nigeria would be impacted as the company revealed that the cuts would be focused on non-priority markets offering fewer growth prospects.
He added that further cuts would also result from previously announced initiatives targeting Heineken’s supply network, head office and regional business units.
Outgoing-CEO van den Brink, who steps down in May, said that there was no update on the brewer’s search for a successor.
Along with weak demand, brewers are facing long-term declines in beer sales in some key markets, dented by issues such concerns over the health impact of alcohol consumption.
Heineken expects slower profit growth for 2026 of between 2 and 6 per cent against the 4 to 8 per cent growth it guided for last year.
-
News3 days agoBREAKING: FG to Restore Cross River Littoral Status, Allocates 119 New Oil Wells Post-Bakassi
-
Crime2 days agoNDLEA: China-Based Nigerian, 2 Angolans Excrete 236 Cocaine Wraps at Airports (Images)
-
News1 day agoEl-Rufai Arrives at EFCC Headquarters Amid Clashes Between Supporters and Opponents in Abuja
-
Crime1 day agoBREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping
-
News2 days agoCivil Society Group Urges Probe into Dadiyata’s 2019 Disappearance After Explosive Claims
-
News2 days agoLagos Inaugurates Fire Marshal Club with Safety Walk to Cut Fire Incidents
-
News1 day agoJUST IN: Security Operatives Clash with El-Rufai’s Supporters at EFCC HQ, Tear Gas Fired
-
News14 hours agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
