News
BREAKING: Buhari seeks Senate’s approval to pay N226bn, $556.8m, £98.5m judgement debts
Nigerian Senate has been asked to approve a request to pay the judgement debt in the sum of $566,754,584.31, £98,526,012.00, and N226 billion.
President Muhammadu Buhari has asked the Senate to approve a request, noting that the monies were owed by the Federal Government through the issuance of promissory notes.
Buhari’s letter of request was read at plenary by Senate President Ahmad Lawan on Wednesday.
The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr Abubakar Malami (SAN), revealed that Buhari’s regime had secured a conviction in 397 terrorism cases while 7,000 crime and anti-corruption cases had been successfully prosecuted by the government in eight years.
According to the AGF, the secured conviction was out of 3,000 terrorism-profiled charges, of which 1,500 were filed.
“A total of 7,000 cases involving various offences, including maritime, armed robbery, vandalism of electrical equipment and pipelines, financial matters, cybercrime, kidnapping, and anti-corruption, have been successfully prosecuted,” the AGF disclosed while presenting the scorecard for the Federal Ministry of Justice from 2015 to date.
During the period under review, the AGF said significant progress has been made in response to gender-based violence, including the establishment of an inter-ministerial management committee for the eradication of SGBV cases.
He further disclosed that the government has realised the sum of N1,823,788,146.86 from the sale of forfeited properties.
In a similar vein, the AGF said that “in compliance with presidential mandates and foreign judicial processes, the Ministry has recovered the total sums of £6,324,627.66, €5,494,743.71, and $390,000,000 from various jurisdictions.
More details later..
News
HAPPENING NOW: Blackout hits Abuja, Embassies affected
The Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) has announced power outage in various parts of Abuja including hotels and diplomatic buildings.
The AEDC made the announcement in its verified X handle today.
It said the blackout also affected Bolingo Hotel, Wada Maida Building, which houses the headquarters of Sudan, Egypt embassies, Envoy Hotel, the European Union embassy, among others.
The other places affected by the blackout are the National Planning Commission (NPC), the National Hospital, and the Turkish, Pakistani, and Indian embassies.
“Also, Garki Area One, Two, Three, Seven and Eight; Garki village; Garki market; Ubiaja Street; Kaltungo Street; and Lagos Street have been affected.
“Also affected are Oka Akoko Street, Treasury House, Karibu Hotel, and part of Asokoro, such as Yakubu Gowon Street.
“Similarly, Imo Government Lodges, Gado Nasko Street, Justice Sowemimo, Hassan Musa Katsina Streets, part of Jasse Martin, NIA, and TY Danjuma Street are without power supply.
“It said also affected are Lugbe, Jedo, Forte Royal, Back Of Dunamics, Customs Quarters, Aviation Village Piwoye Kapwa Ok Water, Nicomsat, Korean School and Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport,”.
It attributed the power outage to a technical fault.
“The technical team of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) is currently working to restore the power supply.
“We regret the inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding,” AEDC said.
News
Burial begins for Oyo school teacher killed by JAS terrorist group
The deceased teacher is expected to be buried at his residence in the Owolake area of Ogbomoso.
The burial arrangements for Adesiyan Adegboye, the teacher killed during last Friday’s coordinated attack on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, began on Friday at Ayegun Baptist Church, Ogbomoso.
Adegboye, 49, was shot dead during the invasion carried out by armed bandits at Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, Community Grammar School, and L.A. Primary School, Esiele.
The deceased teacher is expected to be buried at his residence in the Owolake area of Ogbomoso.
The attackers reportedly stormed the schools around 9:30am, abducting several teachers and students during the operation that threw the communities into panic.
Following the incident, the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, visited the affected area on Saturday and ordered the deployment of additional detectives from the Force Headquarters in Abuja to support ongoing rescue efforts.
News
FG launches GovGuideNigeria to boost citizens governance access
GovGuideNigeria platform is accessible through WhatsApp and the web, and is available in English, Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba to ensure wider accessibility for citizens across different linguistic backgrounds.
The Minister of Communications, Innovation, and Digital Economy, Dr Bosun Tijan, has said that Nigerians can now access the government information and services through the newly launched GovGuideNigeria.
The artificial intelligence-powered platform was launched on May 21 by the government in collaboration with Meta, the National Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (NCAIR), and local developer partner Publica AI.
According to the Minister, the platform is accessible through WhatsApp and the web, and is available in English, Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba to ensure wider accessibility for citizens across different linguistic backgrounds.
Tijani stated that the platform provides users with easy access to information from more than 35 federal ministries and over 60 government agencies.
He described the initiative as part of the government’s efforts to improve public service delivery through technology and digital innovation.
Sade Dada, Head of Public Policy, Meta, said during the launch “Meta’s open-source AI is critical to economic growth and productivity — and GovGuide Nigeria, is a clear example of what this looks like in practice.
Ignatius Willie, CEO, Publica AI said, “Today is not just a product launch. It is a step towards democratising how Nigerians engage with their government. With GovGuide Nigeria, we are not simply digitising access to public services; we are making them conversational, multilingual, and available on the channels Nigerians already use every day.
-
Politics2 days ago2027: Natasha emerges PDP Kogi central ticket
-
Business2 days agoIEA chief warns Oil market could enter ‘red zone’ by July as stocks dwindle ahead of summer travel season
-
News2 days agoNYSC warns against night travel as 2026 Batch B Stream I orientation begins June 10
-
Politics3 days agoPeter Obi won’t rule as dictator if elected President — Osuntokun
-
Politics1 day agoKwankwaso denies upteenth times, “I’m not working for Tinubu’s political interests “
-
News2 days agoPresident Tinubu appoints 40 years old Prof Aina as JAMB Registrar
-
Politics2 days agoHamzat emerges Lagos APC governorship candidate
-
Opinions2 days agoPAYE Tax, Stakeholder Concern and Country Development, By Tony Monye
