News
N54.2 trillion budget: Peter Obi questions Tinubu govt on transparency, accountability
Presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, Mr Peter Obi, says there is no corresponding breakdown of expenditures to justify the increase in the 2025 national budget.
The statement comes after President Bola Tinubu, on Thursday, increased the appropriation bill for the 2025 fiscal year from N49.7 trillion to N54.2 trillion.
Recall that Tinubu announced the increment in separate letters, which he forwarded to both the Senate and the House of Representatives.
Reacting to the development, Obi said that Nigerians need to know how the resources generated are being allocated for the sake of transparency and accountability.
This, he said, was to ensure that they were judiciously spent on the country’s development and the well-being of the people.
In a statement issued on Friday via his X handle, the former Anambra state Governor said Nigerians were still waiting for a detailed account of the execution and expenditures of the Renewed Hope budget passed in December 2023.
Obi further called on the National Assembly to seize this opportunity to obtain and make public the full details of the 2024 budget.
He said: “Yesterday, I read about the increase in the Budget of Restoration to N54 trillion due to increased revenue.“
While the sources of this revenue were detailed, there is no corresponding breakdown of expenditures to justify the increase.
For transparency and accountability sake Nigerians need to know how the resources generated from them are being allocated to ensure that they are judiciously spent on the country’s development and the well-being of the people.
“Such expenditures should be directed toward critical areas of development; education, healthcare, security, and poverty alleviation.“
Furthermore, Nigerians are still waiting for a detailed account of the execution and expenditures of the Renewed Hope budget passed in December 2023 to ensure that it has been properly utilized for the country’s future development and the well-being of its citizens.
“I call on the National Assembly to seize this opportunity to obtain and make public the full details of the 2024 budget of Renewed Hope budget
“Transparency in this regard is crucial for ensuring accountability, learning from past budgets, and making informed decisions for the nation’s progress.
“As we work towards passing the Budget of Restoration for 2025, let us uphold openness, accountability, and the welfare of the Nigerian people.
We owe it to ourselves, our children, and the future of our great nation.
News
Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun
Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.
News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.
Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
News
Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
•Kehinde Jacob Faledon
Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.
Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.
“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.
“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.
News
British Royal House Confers on Wale Edun “Commander of the Royal Victorian Order”
Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.
The British Royal House has conferred the honour of Commander of the Royal Victorian Order on Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun.
The investiture at Windsor Castle carried a ceremony and symbolism.
Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.
The award places Edun among a select group of global achievers whose public contributions transcend borders.
The ceremony also recognised Lydia Tischler, a Holocaust survivor and child psychotherapist; Rhys McClenaghan for services to gymnastics; and John Whiston for services to broadcasting and television.
Edun’s recognition resonated far beyond the grandeur of Windsor, highlighting the growing international regard for Nigeria’s reform leadership.
A former trustee of the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award, Edun’s career has long combined global engagement with institution-building.
Those same principles underpin his stewardship of Nigeria’s economy, where confidence, discipline, and consistency have become the defining themes of reform.
Since assuming office, Nigeria has begun to reverse years of macroeconomic fragility.
-
Business2 days agoDangote Forecasts Major Naira Appreciation to ₦1,100 per Dollar in 2026
-
News23 hours agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
Politics3 days agoPolitical thugs invades Ondo APC ward congress , beats chairman
-
Business2 days agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
-
Politics2 days agoAgain, Violence Erupts at Ondo APC Congress in Idanre
-
News3 days agoRamadan Fasting Begins Tomorrow, Says Sultan
-
Business2 days agoNRS Fixes 2028 for e- invoicing tax collections full takeoff
-
News2 days agoGas Leaks Kill 37 Miners in Plateau, 25 Hospitalised
