Connect with us

News

Lagos Governorship Election: Gov Sanwo-Olu, Wife Voted With Invalid Voters Cards, Witness Tells Tribunal

Published

on

322 Views

There are allegations that Lagos state Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and his wife, Ibijoke were allowed to cast their votes, despite their voter cards being invalid.

The testimony was given by an agent of the Labour Party, Dayo Isreal who was subpoenaed to testify in the petition filed by Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour, the Labour Party’s candidate, in the March 18  election, seeking to nullify the return of Gov. SanwoOlu and his deputy.

A witness on Monday told the Lagos State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal headed by Justice Arum Ashom.

While being led in evidence by the Rhodes-Vivour’s lead counsel, Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Olumide Ayeni, the witness told the court that he served as an agent for the Labour Party for Unit 006, Ward 15, Lagos Island Local Government in the Governorship Election.

” I observed that the card reader showed their cards to be invalid but Sanwo-Olu and his wife were allowed to cast their votes and this is against INEC’s electoral process,” Israel said before the tribunal

Under cross-examination from counsel to INEC, Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Charles Edosomwan, the witness also claimed he was beaten up that day by some All Progressives Congress (APC) supporters and that he knew they were APC supporters from the way they spoke.

“I am not a member of the Labour Party but I was assigned as an agent. When the APC thugs recognised me as an LP agent, they beat me up. They also said if voters did not vote for APC, they would beat them too,” he said

When asked by counsel to Governor Sanwo Olu Olu & his deputy, Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Muiz Banire, to describe how he was beaten.

He added, “During casting of votes, 4 of them beat me up. I ran away, changed my clothes to disguise myself and came back to monitor the counting of votes.

He also noted that there were cases of multiple casting of votes but INEC officials failed to intervene

“I observed more than 3-4 people voting more than once at the polling unit. INEC staff conducted the elections, though they looked the other way when this was going on.”

While answering questions from counsel to APC, Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Abiodun Owonikoko, the witness disclosed that a total number of 126 people were accredited at the polling unit where Governor Sanwo -Olu voted while APC had 121 votes, LP was given 2votes.

Additionally another subpoenaed witness, the secretary of the Labour Party in Lagos State, Sam Okpala, also testified before the tribunal

Led by counsel to the petitioner, Folagbade Benson, the subpoena was tendered to the tribunal through the witness, a situation which led to another round of objections from the respondents.

The tribunal in its ruling noted the objections of the respondents but proceeded to hear the testimony of the witness while ordering the respondents to include their objections in their final written addresses.

The witness, while being cross-examined by INEC’s counsel, said he would not have appeared before the tribunal if he was not subpoenaed, adding that he never wrote a statement.

The tribunal has adjourned till July 3 for the continuation of the hearing in the petition.

News

Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Published

on

By

11 Views

Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun

Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.

News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.

Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Continue Reading

News

Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

Published

on

By

29 Views

•Kehinde Jacob Faledon

Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.

Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.

“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.

“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.

Continue Reading

News

British Royal House Confers on Wale Edun “Commander of the Royal Victorian Order”

Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.

Published

on

By

18 Views

The British Royal House has conferred the honour of Commander of the Royal Victorian Order on Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun.

The investiture at Windsor Castle carried a ceremony and symbolism.

Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.

The award places Edun among a select group of global achievers whose public contributions transcend borders.

The ceremony also recognised Lydia Tischler, a Holocaust survivor and child psychotherapist; Rhys McClenaghan for services to gymnastics; and John Whiston for services to broadcasting and television.

Edun’s recognition resonated far beyond the grandeur of Windsor, highlighting the growing international regard for Nigeria’s reform leadership.

A former trustee of the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award, Edun’s career has long combined global engagement with institution-building.

Those same principles underpin his stewardship of Nigeria’s economy, where confidence, discipline, and consistency have become the defining themes of reform.

Since assuming office, Nigeria has begun to reverse years of macroeconomic fragility.

Continue Reading

Trending