Business
Global trade set to hit record $33 trillion by year-end
Global trade is set to reach a record $33 trillion in 2024, according to the latest Global Trade Update published by UN Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
This $1 trillion increase, reflecting 3.3% annual growth, highlights resilience in global trade despite persistent challenges.
Robust growth in services trade, up 7% for the year, accounted for half of the expansion, while goods trade rose 2% but remained below its 2022 peak. Opportunities amidst uncertainty
Developing economies, traditionally strong drivers of global trade, faced headwinds in 2024, with imports contracting 1% and South-South trade falling by the same margin in the third quarter.
In contrast, developed economies led Q3 growth, with stable demand driving a 3% rise in imports and 2% in exports.
Despite these challenges, opportunities remain for developing economies to capitalize on high-growth sectors.
ICT and apparel trade surged, with increases of 13% and 14%, respectively, in the third quarter 2024.
This growth underscores the potential for diversification and entry into value-added industries.
Stable global growth forecasts and easing inflation also present a chance to build resilience in 2025.
Sectoral pressures and growth prospects While ICT and apparel showed strong momentum, traditional sectors critical to developing economies faced declines.
Energy trade fell 2% for the quarter and 7% for the year, while metals trade contracted by 3% both quarterly and annually.
Automotive trade dropped 3% in Q3 but is expected to end the year with modest 4% growth.
A call for strategic action
UNCTAD urges developing economies to adopt targeted policies that enhance trade diversification and invest in high-value sectors to mitigate risks.
The organization underscores that trade is a cornerstone of sustainable development.
To capitalize on opportunities in 2025, developing economies require coordinated support to navigate uncertainty, reduce dependencies and strengthen global market links.
Business
IEA chief warns Oil market could enter ‘red zone’ by July as stocks dwindle ahead of summer travel season
Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz..
•Faith Birol
Fatih Birol, executive director of the International Energy Agency (IEA) warned on Thursday that the oil markets could soon enter a “red zone” as global stocks deplete and as demand picks up during the summer travel season.
Birol’s comments came during a Chatham House session on the Strait of Hormuz crisis and global energy security.
Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz.
” If it fails to reopen and no new oil is coming online from the Middle East, an ongoing drawdown in global stockpiles combined with an uptick in demand during the summer travel season means oil markets “may be entering the red zone in July or August,” Birol said, without elaborating further.
The IEA has previously said the global market is facing the most severe disruption in its history. That’s despite, Birol said, the market having benefitted from being in the “fortunate” position of entering the crisis with a surplus to help absorb the shock. These stocks, however, are now eroding, Birol said.
Typically, roughly 20% of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes through the Strait of Hormuz, but shipping traffic has virtually halted since U.S. and Israeli-led strikes against Iran started on Feb. 28.
The IEA chief said the “biggest pain of this crisis will be felt in developing Asia and Africa,” adding that he was just as concerned about the impact of the Iran war on global food security as he was on energy security.
Business
Femi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
The Chairman of First HoldCo, Femi Otedola, said on Wednesday “From on a personal note, I’ve appealed to him (Aliko Dangote to allocate to me shares worth $100 million private placement, ahead of the Refinery’s initial public offer.”
“That’s one of the reasons I sold my stake in Geregu plant to come and invest my proceeds in the IPO of Dangote refinery.”
Otedola told journalists when he led top executives of First HoldCo on a tour of the refinery and the fertiliser plans in the Lekki free trade zone area.
The team also visited key project sites such as the jetty, a facility built by Dangote industries to receive large vessels.
The private placement is the latest announcement in the refinery’s Initial Public Offering plan, IPO expected later in the year.
Business
CBN Holds Benchmark Interest Rate at 26.5% Amid Renewed Inflation Concerns
The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has retained the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 26.5 per cent, maintaining the current stance after its two-day meeting that ended on Wednesday, May 20, 2026.
CBN Governor Olayemi Cardoso announced the decision, noting that the committee voted unanimously to hold all key parameters unchanged. The asymmetric corridor around the MPR remains at +500/-450 basis points, the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) stays at 45 per cent for commercial banks and 16 per cent for merchant banks, while the liquidity ratio is retained at 30 per cent.
The hold comes as headline inflation rose for a second consecutive month to 15.69 per cent in April 2026, up from previous levels, driven largely by food inflation at 16.06 per cent and higher transportation costs. Cardoso emphasised the need for a cautious and vigilant approach to anchor inflation expectations and safeguard macroeconomic stability.
This decision aligns with analysts’ expectations ahead of the 305th MPC meeting and follows the first rate cut in years implemented in February 2026, when the MPR was reduced by 50 basis points to the current 26.5 per cent.
The CBN Governor highlighted ongoing reforms, exchange rate stability, and efforts to improve food supply as factors supporting the disinflation process, even as global and domestic risks persist. The next MPC meeting is expected in July.
The retention signals the apex bank’s priority on taming inflation while monitoring the impact of previous policy actions on the broader economy.
-
Politics2 days agoKwankwaso denies upteenth times, “I’m not working for Tinubu’s political interests “
-
News3 days agoDHQ says JAS terrorists carried out Oyo kidnap
-
Politics1 day agoAPC Presidential Primary: Massive turnout as Amosun, Gov Abiodun, Adeola join party faithfuls at wards, commend exercise
-
News2 days agoBurial begins for Oyo school teacher killed by JAS terrorist group
-
Sports2 days agoFIFA releases 2026 World Cup anthem ‘Goals’, by Rema, LISA, Anitta
-
Entertainment2 days agoAnnie Macaulay announces “I’m back to acting”
-
Politics2 days agoAPC PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY: Gov Alia Unveils Election Materials, Assures of Transparent Process in Benue
-
News3 days agoFG launches GovGuideNigeria to boost citizens governance access
