Connect with us

Sports

Former heavyweight champion, Anthony Joshua wants new opponent for August 12

Published

on

448 Views

Former heavyweight champion, Anthony Joshua is on the hunt for a new opponent for August 12 as he is keen to get into the ring before a proposed December bout against Deontay Wilder in Saudi Arabia.

According to Eddie Hearn, who promotes both heavyweights, the fight with Dillian Whyte is no longer possible after Whyte rejected the proposal sent to him.

“It’s not true (that Whyte asked for £10m),” Hearn told Boxing Social, addressing recent reports.

“It’s not true at all. We made him an offer, they made it clear it was nowhere near their expectations. Quite honestly there were very little negotiations after that. He never asked for £10m, I’m not sure where that came from, but it’s not the case.”

German boxer, Agit Kabayel has already been linked with Joshua and Hearn said, “He may be on a long list. I mean, anyone in the top 15.

“Look, I don’t mind being honest; Joshua is gonna fight Deontay Wilder in December, that’s 100 per cent our focus, so he needs a fight against someone who is going to allow him to work on – under the lights – everything he’s been working on with (coach) Derrick James.

“There’s no point fighting a fight against someone he’s going to take out in a round. It’s difficult to fight an elite, top-three or top-five guy when you’re fighting Deontay Wilder four months later.

“We’re in a little bit of a difficult position, it is what it is. We want him to fight, I don’t think Saudi (Arabia) want him to fight, because they want him to be ready for Deontay Wilder in December. But we all feel as a team that it would be beneficial for his preparation to have that fight in August.”

Sports

Breaking: Arsenal Win Premier League For First Time In 22 Years

The Gunners, who have set the pace for most of the season, have bounced back impressively since losing to City last month, winning four straight league matches without conceding a goal.

Published

on

By

16 Views

Arsenal have won the Premier League for the first time in 22 years with a game to spare after Man City failed to win at Bournemouth.

Arsenal ended their 22-year wait to be crowned Premier League champions on Tuesday after Manchester City were held 1-1 by Bournemouth.

City had to win to take the title fight to the final day, but the Cherries extended their unbeaten streak to 17 league games, a run which has secured European football for the first time in the club’s history.

After finishing second for the past three seasons, Mikel Arteta’s Gunners have finally made it over the line to end a six-year trophy drought.

Arsenal edged to the brink of the title with an unconvincing 1-0 win over already relegated Burnley on Monday, which took them five points clear of City.

The Gunners, who have set the pace for most of the season, have bounced back impressively since losing to City last month, winning four straight league matches without conceding a goal.

Continue Reading

Sports

AFCON 2027 qualifiers: Nigeria to face Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau

The draw was conducted at the headquarters of the Egyptian Football Association in Cairo on Tuesday, with former Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong serving as one of the draw assistants.

Published

on

By

25 Views

Nigeria have been drawn in Group L of the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, where they will face Madagascar, co-hosts Tanzania and Guinea- Bissau for a place at the tournament.

Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda will host the tournament from June 19 to July 17, 2027.

The draw was conducted at the headquarters of the Egyptian Football Association in Cairo on Tuesday, with former Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong serving as one of the draw assistants.

A total of 48 teams will participate in the qualifiers, with the draw producing 12 groups and 24 teams qualifying for the finals.

Nigeria were drawn from Pot 1 and handed a relatively favourable path to the tournament.

However, due to the presence of Tanzania — who have qualified automatically as co-hosts — in the group, only the top team will qualify for the finals.

The same applies to other groups containing any of the co-hosts, while the top two teams from the remaining groups will qualify.

Continue Reading

Sports

Guardiola debunks Man City exit report

Since arriving at Manchester City in 2016, Guardiola has delivered an era of unprecedented success, winning six Premier League titles, the Champions League, three FA Cups, and five League Cups. His tenure has transformed the club into one of the most dominant forces in world football.

Published

on

By

38 Views

• Pep Guardiola , Manchester City

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has firmly rejected speculation that he is planning to leave the club at the end of the season, insisting he remains fully committed to his role at the Etihad Stadium.

Since arriving at Manchester City in 2016, Guardiola has delivered an era of unprecedented success, winning six Premier League titles, the Champions League, three FA Cups, and five League Cups.

His tenure has transformed the club into one of the most dominant forces in world football.

The Spaniard moved quickly to quell growing rumours during his pre-match press conference ahead of Tuesday’s Premier League clash against Bournemouth.

Recent reports had suggested that Manchester City were already making internal preparations for life after Guardiola, with former assistant Enzo Maresca emerging as a leading candidate to replace him.

However, Guardiola, who still has one year left on his current contract, appeared unfazed by the claims.

“So many times, I have one more year,” he said when asked about his future. “I am here, I have a contract.”

He also dismissed suggestions that the remaining fixtures could serve as a farewell tour, and laughed off reports that the club might name the newly expanded North Stand after him if he departs this summer.

Continue Reading

Trending