Connect with us

Business

DStv Subscription: Court dismisses MultiChoice suit against FCCPC‎‎

Published

on

489 Views

The Federal High Court in Abuja has dismissed a suit filed by MultiChoice Nigeria, the parent company of DStv and GOtv, challenging the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission’s (FCCPC) intervention following a recent hike in subscription cost.

‎‎In the judgment, Justice James Omotoso ruled that the suit constituted an abuse of court process as similar proceedings were already pending elsewhere.

‎‎The judge stressed that MultiChoice should have pursued its arguments in that court. He said if that was done it would have rendered the suit at the Federal High Court procedurally inappropriate.

‎‎Justice Omotoso noted that while the Commission has investigative powers under its establishing Act, it, however, lacks the authority to fix or suspend prices unless as delegated by the President through a gazetted instrument. No such delegation was presented to the court.‎‎

“The power to fix prices is exclusively that of the President. Any decision taken without such delegation is a nullity,” the judge stated.

‎‎He added that because Nigeria operates a free market system, service providers like MultiChoice have the right to set their prices, with consumers free to accept or reject them.‎‎

The judge further ruled that FCCPC’s actions, including directing MultiChoice to suspend its price increase, is in breach of the company’s right to fair hearing and appeared selectively targeted.

He dismissed the FCCPC’s claim that MultiChoice held a dominant market position, calling the argument untenable.

‎‎“The use of services like those provided by the plaintiff is discretionary and not essential. Nigeria can do without it,” Justice Omotosho added.

The judge thereby warned that attempts to fix prices by regulatory bodies could scare off potential investors and harm the economy.

‎‎The court held  that while the FCCPC may investigate market practices, it cannot impose price controls without proper legal backing.‎‎

MultiChoice had increased subscription rates by up to 25% on March 1, 2025, citing inflation and the attendant rose in operational cost. ‎‎

Following public outcry, the FCCPC opposed the move, calling for regulatory review and threatening sanctions, prompting the lawsuit.‎

Business

IEA chief warns Oil market could enter ‘red zone’ by July as stocks dwindle ahead of summer travel season

Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz..

Published

on

By

26 Views

•Faith Birol

Fatih Birol, executive director of the International Energy Agency (IEA) warned on Thursday that the oil markets could soon enter a “red zone” as global stocks deplete and as demand picks up during the summer travel season.

Birol’s comments came during a Chatham House session on the Strait of Hormuz crisis and global energy security.

Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz.

” If it fails to reopen and no new oil is coming online from the Middle East, an ongoing drawdown in global stockpiles combined with an uptick in demand during the summer travel season means oil markets “may be entering the red zone in July or August,” Birol said, without elaborating further.

The IEA has previously said the global market is facing the most severe disruption in its history. That’s despite, Birol said, the market having benefitted from being in the “fortunate” position of entering the crisis with a surplus to help absorb the shock. These stocks, however, are now eroding, Birol said.

Typically, roughly 20% of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes through the Strait of Hormuz, but shipping traffic has virtually halted since U.S. and Israeli-led strikes against Iran started on Feb. 28.

The IEA chief said the “biggest pain of this crisis will be felt in developing Asia and Africa,” adding that he was just as concerned about the impact of the Iran war on global food security as he was on energy security.

Continue Reading

Business

Femi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO

Published

on

By

53 Views

The Chairman of First HoldCo, Femi Otedola, said on Wednesday “From on a personal note, I’ve appealed to him (Aliko Dangote to allocate to me shares worth $100 million private placement, ahead of the Refinery’s initial public offer.”

“That’s one of the reasons I sold my stake in Geregu plant to come and invest my proceeds in the IPO of Dangote refinery.”

Otedola told journalists when he led top executives of First HoldCo on a tour of the refinery and the fertiliser plans in the Lekki free trade zone area.

The team also visited key project sites such as the jetty, a facility built by Dangote industries to receive large vessels.

The private placement is the latest announcement in the refinery’s Initial Public Offering plan, IPO expected later in the year.

Continue Reading

Business

CBN Holds Benchmark Interest Rate at 26.5% Amid Renewed Inflation Concerns

Published

on

45 Views

The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has retained the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 26.5 per cent, maintaining the current stance after its two-day meeting that ended on Wednesday, May 20, 2026.

CBN Governor Olayemi Cardoso announced the decision, noting that the committee voted unanimously to hold all key parameters unchanged. The asymmetric corridor around the MPR remains at +500/-450 basis points, the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) stays at 45 per cent for commercial banks and 16 per cent for merchant banks, while the liquidity ratio is retained at 30 per cent.

The hold comes as headline inflation rose for a second consecutive month to 15.69 per cent in April 2026, up from previous levels, driven largely by food inflation at 16.06 per cent and higher transportation costs. Cardoso emphasised the need for a cautious and vigilant approach to anchor inflation expectations and safeguard macroeconomic stability.

This decision aligns with analysts’ expectations ahead of the 305th MPC meeting and follows the first rate cut in years implemented in February 2026, when the MPR was reduced by 50 basis points to the current 26.5 per cent.

The CBN Governor highlighted ongoing reforms, exchange rate stability, and efforts to improve food supply as factors supporting the disinflation process, even as global and domestic risks persist. The next MPC meeting is expected in July.

The retention signals the apex bank’s priority on taming inflation while monitoring the impact of previous policy actions on the broader economy.

Continue Reading

Trending