Connect with us

News

DAY 2: Cardinal-electors vote in historic conclave to choose next Pope

Published

on

299 Views

The Director of Public Communications, Lagos Catholic Archdiocese, Rev. Fr. Anthony Godono, on Thursday confirmed that the 133 Cardinal-electors for the new Pope would return to the Sistine Chapel to elect a new Pope after their first ballot on Wednesday failed to produce a new Pope.

Godono, spoke in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria described the process as flawless as the cardinals decisions were being directed by the Holy Spirit.

The Lagos archdiocesan communications director, spoke on the process, said that after the first ballot, no Pope elected that the trend has been for centuries.

“Today, May 8, the Cardinal-electors will return this morning to continue with voting until a Pope is elected.

The Cardinals are expected to have two rounds of votes this morning and two more in the evening if we do not have a Pope elected in this morning’s session.

“Black smoke emanated from the chimney atop the Sistine Chapel yesterday evening, indicating no new pope was elected during the first round of voting.

“One hundred and thirty-three red-robed cardinals from around the world have filed into the Sistine Chapel to the strains of a choir backed by organ music, and the doors were sealed behind them.

“The papal conclave — a centuries-old tradition to elect a new head of the Catholic Church,” he said.

He said that the announcement of a new pope will be made with white smoke billowing from the Apostolic Palace. Soon after, the new pope will emerge onto the balcony to greet his flock.

The cardinal electors faced a stark choice to select a pope who would follow in the footsteps of late Pope Francis, an Argentine reformer who advocated for migrants and the environment, or one who would guide the Catholic Church down a more traditional path.

NAN reports that the meticulous selection process has kept the world in suspense for weeks after the demise of Pope Francis

(NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Published

on

By

2 Views

Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun

Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.

News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.

Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Continue Reading

News

Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

Published

on

By

21 Views

•Kehinde Jacob Faledon

Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.

Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.

“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.

“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.

Continue Reading

News

British Royal House Confers on Wale Edun “Commander of the Royal Victorian Order”

Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.

Published

on

By

12 Views

The British Royal House has conferred the honour of Commander of the Royal Victorian Order on Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun.

The investiture at Windsor Castle carried a ceremony and symbolism.

Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.

The award places Edun among a select group of global achievers whose public contributions transcend borders.

The ceremony also recognised Lydia Tischler, a Holocaust survivor and child psychotherapist; Rhys McClenaghan for services to gymnastics; and John Whiston for services to broadcasting and television.

Edun’s recognition resonated far beyond the grandeur of Windsor, highlighting the growing international regard for Nigeria’s reform leadership.

A former trustee of the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award, Edun’s career has long combined global engagement with institution-building.

Those same principles underpin his stewardship of Nigeria’s economy, where confidence, discipline, and consistency have become the defining themes of reform.

Since assuming office, Nigeria has begun to reverse years of macroeconomic fragility.

Continue Reading

Trending