Connect with us

News

BREAKING: Supreme Court Dismisses Atiku, Obi’s Appeals, Affirms Tinubu As President

Published

on

225 Views

The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the victory of President Bola Tinubu in the February 25 presidential election.

The apex court in its ruling dismissed the appeals by the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Atiku Abubakar and his Labour Party (LP) counterpart Peter Obi.

A seven-judge panel ruled as without merit the opposition appeals over claims of fraud, electoral law violations, and Tinubu’s ineligibility to run for president.

The apex court thrashed all the grounds of appeal of Atiku and PDP on qualification, non-compliance with the Electoral Act, the 25% votes in FCT, and electoral malpractices.

“On the whole, having resolved all the issues against the appellant, it is my view that there is no merit in the appeal and it is hereby dismissed,” Justice Inyang Okoro said in dismissing Atiku’s appeal.

“The judgment of the court below delivered on September 6th, 2023 affirming the election of the second respondent as the duly elected President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is hereby affirmed.”

It listened to Obi’s appeal for about five minutes. In dealing with the LP’s presidential candidate on the issue of double nomination of Vice-President Kashim Shettima, the court held that the issue had been dealt with in its ruling on May 26.

“As for issue Number 4 which has to do with double nomination which was not in Atiku’s appeal, it is the view of this court that this issue having been dealt with by this court, this court cannot allow the matter to be re-litigated in this very court. There must be an end to litigation,” Justice Okoro held.

“For us to sit down now and talk about when this man resigned or did not resign when they did fresh primaries to replace him which we have done before, we are not going to do this again.

“This matter ought not to have come in. When this matter was pending at the trial court, this court delivered that judgment. If you read the judgment of the lower court, they mentioned that the Supreme Court has settled this matter and that should have been the end.

“You now bring this issue of double nomination for us to sit on it and write another judgment, this is not how it should be. This appeal lacks merit and is hereby dismissed.”

An election appeals court last month already rejected the two main opposition party petitions, including allegations of fraud, violations by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), and claims Tinubu did not meet the constitutional requirements.

Along with its original claims, Atiku’s legal team had also sought to introduce new evidence, it claims shows Tinubu submitted a forged certificate from the Chicago State University as a qualification to the election commission when he applied to run for president.

Vowing an agenda of “Renewed Hope”, Tinubu took office in May and has quickly introduced reforms his government says will help grow Africa’s largest economy and attract more foreign investment.

News

BREAKING: President Tinubu Signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill into Law Ahead of 2027 Polls

Published

on

18 Views

President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday, February 18, 2026, signed the Electoral Act, 2022 (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026 into law at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, around 5:00 p.m., finalizing sweeping changes to Nigeria’s electoral framework just days after the National Assembly passed the harmonized version and following the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the 2027 election timetable.

The ceremony was attended by principal officers of the National Assembly, marking a swift assent to the legislation that repeals the 2022 Act and enacts fresh provisions to govern federal, state, and FCT elections.

Key highlights of the new law include a hybrid approach to result transmission: mandatory electronic upload of polling unit results to INEC’s IReV portal where feasible, with manual collation retained as a fallback option in cases of network failures, technical glitches, or other disruptions a provision that sparked intense debate and opposition protests during legislative proceedings.

The Senate’s passage on Tuesday featured a dramatic division vote on Clause 60(3), with 55 lawmakers supporting the retention of the manual proviso against 15 opponents, largely from opposition parties.

The House of Representatives saw rowdy sessions, opposition walkouts, and chants of “APC, ole” (thief) in protest over what critics called a dilution of full electronic transmission.

Other notable amendments include adjustments to election timelines (reducing the mandatory notice period to align with the 2027 calendar, avoiding overlaps with Ramadan), provisions on party primaries (emphasizing direct primaries while allowing consensus in some cases), and clarifications aimed at enhancing procedural efficiency for the February 20, 2027 presidential and National Assembly elections, and March 6 gubernatorial and state assembly polls.

The signing has reignited nationwide controversy. Opposition figures and civil society organizations have condemned the hybrid transmission clause as a step backward from transparency gains in the 2022 Act, warning it could enable manipulation and erode public trust. Former INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner Mike Igini had urged Tinubu not to assent, describing the bill as a “recipe for chaos” that favors elites over voters.

Supporters, including ruling APC lawmakers, argue the changes provide necessary flexibility for Nigeria’s diverse terrain and infrastructure challenges, ensuring elections proceed smoothly even in remote or poorly connected areas.

INEC is expected to issue guidance on implementing the new provisions soon, as preparations intensify for the 2027 general elections.

The development follows months of legislative back-and-forth, public hearings, and heated plenary sessions, underscoring deep divisions over electoral integrity in Africa’s most populous democracy.

President Tinubu’s swift assent has drawn mixed reactions on social media and among stakeholders, with calls for judicial challenges already emerging from critics who view the law as undermining the push for fully digital, tamper-proof elections.

Continue Reading

News

Gas Leaks Kill 37 Miners in Plateau, 25 Hospitalised

The miners were said to have inhaled the gas while carrying out their activities underground. Most of the victims were young men between the ages of 20 and 35 who had been engaged in routine mining operations at the time of the incident.

Published

on

By

22 Views

At least 37 miners have reportedly died after being exposed to carbon monoxide while working at an underground mining site in Zurak, Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Eyewitnesses said the incident occurred in the early hours of Tuesday as the miners were extracting zinc.

During the operation, toxic gas reportedly filled the tunnels, leading to a collapse within the mining site.

The miners were said to have inhaled the gas while carrying out their activities underground. Most of the victims were young men between the ages of 20 and 35 who had been engaged in routine mining operations at the time of the incident.

Twenty-five other miners who survived the exposure have been taken to a nearby health facility, where they are currently receiving medical treatment.

Confirming the incident, the Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamisu Anani, described the deaths of the young men as worrisome and tragic, especially as they occurred during the holy month of Ramadan, when many Muslims are fasting and praying.

He stated that the mining site has been secured to prevent further casualties and to enable investigators to determine the exact cause of the gas leak.

He also appealed to the state and federal government to come to the aid of the victims and their families, noting that the incident has left a painful impact on the community.

The member representing Wase State Constituency said efforts are ongoing to support the victims, while investigations into the incident continue.

Continue Reading

News

UBA UK targets closing $100bn Africa trade gaps

UBA will leverage its Pan-African network and London operations to unlock capital, strengthen correspondent banking relationships and support African corporates and SMEs in accessing international trade opportunities.

Published

on

By

20 Views

UBA UK’s newly appointed CEO, Loknath Mishra, says that the bank is working hard to close Africa’s $100 billion trade finance shortfall by connecting more African businesses to global markets.

Mishra affirmed this during an appearance on Arise TV’s Global Business Report this week.

“UBA will leverage its Pan-African network and London operations to unlock capital, strengthen correspondent banking relationships and support African corporates and SMEs in accessing international trade opportunities,”he said.

According to him, the global trade order is changing, and supply chains are being rewritten and Africa is increasingly becoming a reliable and strategic partner.

He emphasised that UBA has a significant role to play in ensuring Africa is connected to the globe, and UBA UK plays a critical role in providing hard-currency liquidity, structured trade finance and settlement services through London’s financial infrastructure.

He highlighted that several international banks are retreating from African markets, even as trade across the continent is projected to grow faster than in many other regions.

He noted that the bank’s presence across 20 African countries enables UBA to connect buyers and sellers seamlessly, while UBA UK ensures efficient foreign currency settlement and international trade structuring.

Continue Reading

Trending