Connect with us

Crime

BREAKING: Abducted FirstNews Editor, Olatunji in DIA Custody – IPI Nigeria Reveals

Published

on

296 Views

***Says Tinubu Should direct Military Authorities to produce FirstNews Editor Segun Olatunji

The Nigerian National Committee of the International Press Institute (IPI Nigeria) on Wednesday called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to activate the powers of his office as Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces to free the detained Editor of FirstNews Online, Segun Olatunji, who was abducted in Lagos by gunmen on Army Uniform about two weeks ago.

According to Multiple checks by the International Press Institute, it was confirmed that Mr Olatunji is in the custody of the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA).

The organization however urged President Tinubu to direct the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Christopher Musa, to produce Segun Olatunji, the Editor of FirstNews, who was abducted from his home in Lagos twelve days ago.

A statement by the President, IPI Nigeria, Musikilu Mojeed and Legal Adviser/Chair, Advocacy Committee, Tobi Soniyi, obtained by Arise News in Abuja said its multiple investigations, reveal that Olatunji is in the custody of the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA).

The statement reads, “Multiple checks by the International Press Institute reveal that Mr Olatunji is in the custody of the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA), an agency under the command of Major General Emmanuel Undiandeye, who, in turn, reports to the Chief of Defence Staff, General Musa.

“For the past eleven days, the abducted journalist has been kept incommunicado, with his family, employers, and colleagues unaware of his whereabouts. IPI Nigeria has received inquiries about this matter from all over the world.

“The Institute has also contacted the Nigeria Police, the Nigerian Army, the Defence Intelligence Agency, the Defence Headquarters, and the Ministry of Information and National Orientation seeking information on Mr Olatunji and demanding his release. All efforts in this direction have so far failed.

“That has triggered speculations among journalists and human rights activists around the world that the Nigerian military may be keeping some vital information away from the public concerning the journalist’s safety.

“IPI is therefore calling on President Tinubu to direct the Nigerian military authorities to immediately release Mr Olatunji or charge him to court if he has committed any offence. The international community should also pay attention to the unjust detention of Mr. Olatunji by the Nigerian military.

“The rule of law demands that an accused person is allowed to defend himself in a court of law within a reasonable time. This also conforms with the provisions of Nigeria’s 1999 Constitution, which forbids the detention of any citizen or resident beyond 48 hours, except with a valid court order.

“According to reports, armed men in two unmarked vans arrived at Mr Olatunji’s home in Lagos on March 15. The men, two of whom wore military-style uniforms, introduced themselves as officers of the Nigerian Army and forced Mr. Olatunji to go with them. They declined to tell his wife, who witnessed the abduction, where he was being taken.

“As a matter of urgency, the military should tell the world why Mr. Olatunji was arrested, where he is being kept, and why he has not been charged in court.

“IPI Nigeria is reminding the Nigerian authorities that when it comes to upholding human rights, Nigeria continues to rank low in the comity of nations. Keeping a citizen beyond the period allowed by the Constitution will only worsen Nigeria’s standing in the International community. The time to act is now.”

Crime

BREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping

Published

on

35 Views

The Department of State Services (DSS) has filed cybercrime charges against former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja, accusing him of involvement in the unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu.

QAccording to court documents, the charges stem from El-Rufai’s statements during a live interview on Arise Television’s Prime Time programme on February 13, 2026. In the broadcast, he reportedly admitted to accessing an intercepted conversation in which Ribadu allegedly instructed security operatives to arrest him upon his return to Nigeria.

Prosecutors allege that this interception seriously compromised national security and public safety, creating widespread fear among citizens by exposing vulnerabilities in high-level communications.

The three-count charge accuses El-Rufai of violating provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act 2024 and the Nigerian Communications Act 2003. He faces allegations of direct participation in the unlawful interception as well as failing to report those responsible for the act to the appropriate authorities.

The development follows intense public backlash and calls for investigation after El-Rufai’s televised remarks, which drew criticism from political figures, including presidential aides, who described the admission as a confession to illegal wiretapping of a top security official.

El-Rufai has previously denied direct wrongdoing in related controversies, framing his comments within broader claims of surveillance practices by government agencies.

The case is expected to heighten political tensions ahead of future elections as proceedings unfold in court.

Continue Reading

Crime

NDLEA: China-Based Nigerian, 2 Angolans Excrete 236 Cocaine Wraps at Airports (Images)

Published

on

30 Views

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested a China-based Nigerian businessman and two Angolan nationals after they excreted a total of 236 wraps of cocaine at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA) in Abuja and Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport (MAKIA) in Kano.

A 34-year-old Nigerian, Ibeanu Vincent Chukwudulue, who relocated to Guangzhou, China in 2024 after business on Lagos Island, was intercepted on February 4, 2026, aboard a Qatar Airways flight from Kano en route to China via Abuja and Doha. Body scans confirmed ingestion, and he excreted 52 pellets weighing 735.95 grams under observation.

The Angolans, 50-year-old Mbandu Martins Makiadi and 52-year-old Ngoma Wilson Fernando from Luanda, were nabbed the same day at Kano airport during clearance for an Ethiopian Airlines flight to Istanbul via Addis Ababa. Mbandu excreted 76 wraps (920 grams) in seven sessions, while Ngoma expelled 108 pellets (1.33 kg) in five sessions.

They claimed recruitment by a Luanda auto spare parts dealer promising $3,000 each for delivery in Turkey.

In a separate operation, NDLEA thwarted an attempt by convicted drug kingpin Olashupo Michael Oladimeji—serving five years at Ikoyi Correctional Centre for a prior 17.9 kg cocaine case—to export 1.1 kg of cocaine hidden in garri (cassava granules) to London via Virgin Atlantic from Lagos airport.

The February 12 consignment, sent via his Dimeji Express Logistics firm, led to the arrest of staff Adedeji Yusuf Gbolahan; investigations traced the plot to Olashupo directing from prison.

Another Lagos export bid involving 1.7 kg of skunk concealed in jerry cans to the UK was foiled, resulting in the arrests of cargo agent Mustapha Quddus Opeyemi and sender Adelaja Taiwo Adetayo.

In Abuja, operatives on February 12 intercepted a waybill from Enugu containing a children’s toy guitar hiding 59.2 grams of Canadian Loud cannabis, leading to the arrest of owner Henry Onuma in Life Camp.

A major bust in Lagos saw NDLEA raid a four-bedroom duplex at Ikate-Elegushi, Lekki on February 13, uncovering a Colorado (synthetic cannabis) production factory. Following a prior seizure of 73 cartons of nitrous oxide en route to Benin City, officers recovered 13.2 kg of freshly produced Colos, precursor chemicals, and arrested Victor Oyedeji and driver Amos Innocent.

Additional seizures included 1.189 kg Colos/skunk, 320 grams methamphetamine, ₦2.975 million cash, and two vehicles from female dealer Oluwayemisi Bunmi in Ibadan; 105,400 tramadol pills from Kamilu Abdullahi in Kwara; and 563.5 kg skunk from five suspects in Edo’s Ovia North East forest.

NDLEA continued its War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization in schools and communities nationwide.

NDLEA Chairman Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) commended operatives for their balanced supply and demand reduction efforts, urging sustained professionalism.

Continue Reading

Crime

COAS Deploys Special Forces to Plateau to Crush Resurgent Banditry Attacks

Published

on

66 Views

The Nigerian Army has intensified its efforts to combat the recent resurgence of banditry attacks in Plateau State, with the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Waidi Shaibu, approving the immediate deployment of the COAS Intervention Battalion of Special Forces to the region.

According to a press release from Captain Chinonso Oteh, Media Information Officer for the Joint Task Force Operation ENDURING PEACE, the newly deployed special forces personnel will join existing troops already operating in the state.

Their mandate is to aggressively and decisively confront the escalating threats posed by bandit groups, marking a significant escalation in military response aimed at restoring lasting security.

Upon arrival at the Headquarters of 3 Division in Jos, the troops were received on behalf of the General Officer Commanding 3 Division and Commander of Joint Task Force Operation ENDURING PEACE, Major General Folusho Oyinlola.

Representing him was the Chief of Staff for Operation ENDURING PEACE, Brigadier General Senlong Sule. Brigadier General Sule urged the special forces operatives to conduct offensive operations against the bandits with decisiveness and ruthlessness.

He commended Lieutenant General Shaibu’s proactive leadership in supplying essential combat enablers and logistical support to ensure the troops can effectively fulfill their mandate.

Major General Oyinlola, through his representative, appealed to residents of Plateau State not to be alarmed by the increased movement of large numbers of troops and heavy military equipment across the state. He emphasized that these deployments are part of coordinated efforts to neutralize criminal elements.

The GOC also thanked citizens for their ongoing support to the military and called for heightened collaboration, particularly through the timely provision of actionable intelligence on the locations and activities of criminal groups.

Such community input, he noted, will be crucial in enabling troops to achieve the desired peace and stability in Plateau State and surrounding areas.

Continue Reading

Trending