Connect with us

News

Battle rages in PDP NWC

Published

on

321 Views

The relative peace in the National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has been disrupted.

The latest setback arose from last month’s judgment of the Court of Appeal which declared Sunday Ude-Okoye as National Secretary in place of Samuel Anyanwu.

While Anyanwu is at home in Imo State observing the holiday, Ude-Okoye has seized the initiative.

Although Anyanwu said he would return to the secretariat this week after the break, Ude-Okoye who could not access the secretariat, took along with him some NWC members and visited three governors at the weekend.

The team was well received by Seyi Makinde (Oyo), Bala Muhammed (Bauchi) and Duoye Diri (Bayelsa).

It was learnt that the trips did not receive the blessing of Acting National Chairman Umar Damagum.

According to a source, the pro-Atiku forces bent on shoving aside Anyanwu, were behind Ude-Okoye’s action.

Justifying his reception for Ude-Okoye, Makinde said he believes in the rule of law. He referred to the subsisting judgment which declared Ude-Okoye as National Secretary.

With Ude-Okoye on the trip to Ibadan were: Ambassador Taofeek Arapaja, Deputy National Chairman; Mrs Amina Bryhm, National Women Leader; Kamaldeen Ajibade (SAN), National Legal Adviser; Setonji Koshoedo, Deputy National Secretary; Alhaji Ahmed Yayari, National Treasurer; Obi Okechukwu, National Auditor; Debo Ologunagba, National Publicity Secretary; Dr Woyengikuro Daniel, National Financial Secretary; Dr. Bovoa Emmanuel, National Vice Chairman PDP Northeast and High Chief Ali Odefa, National Vice Chairman PDP South-East.

On rule of law I stand, says MakindeUrging party faithful to maintain their fidelity to the platform, Makinde, who reflected on the challenges facing the main opposition party, said only adherence to the rule of law can resolve the lingering leadership tussle.

He recalled advising the party to always abide by the law, even before the court pronouncement.

Makinde spoke in Ibadan, the state capital, when he received some national party officers, purportedly led by Okoye.

The officers were in the state to commiserate with the governor on the death of 35 children during last month’s stampede and to present Okoye to him as national secretary.

He said Nigerians wanted the PDP to put its house in order and provide an alternative route for good governance.

Makinde told reporters: “There is a court pronouncement on the issue of the National Secretary.

“My position was clear from day one and I will always follow the rule of law.

“This is the new National Secretary by court pronouncement. I said without mincing words that we would stay on the side of the law.

News

BREAKING: President Tinubu Signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill into Law Ahead of 2027 Polls

Published

on

16 Views

President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday, February 18, 2026, signed the Electoral Act, 2022 (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026 into law at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, around 5:00 p.m., finalizing sweeping changes to Nigeria’s electoral framework just days after the National Assembly passed the harmonized version and following the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the 2027 election timetable.

The ceremony was attended by principal officers of the National Assembly, marking a swift assent to the legislation that repeals the 2022 Act and enacts fresh provisions to govern federal, state, and FCT elections.

Key highlights of the new law include a hybrid approach to result transmission: mandatory electronic upload of polling unit results to INEC’s IReV portal where feasible, with manual collation retained as a fallback option in cases of network failures, technical glitches, or other disruptions a provision that sparked intense debate and opposition protests during legislative proceedings.

The Senate’s passage on Tuesday featured a dramatic division vote on Clause 60(3), with 55 lawmakers supporting the retention of the manual proviso against 15 opponents, largely from opposition parties.

The House of Representatives saw rowdy sessions, opposition walkouts, and chants of “APC, ole” (thief) in protest over what critics called a dilution of full electronic transmission.

Other notable amendments include adjustments to election timelines (reducing the mandatory notice period to align with the 2027 calendar, avoiding overlaps with Ramadan), provisions on party primaries (emphasizing direct primaries while allowing consensus in some cases), and clarifications aimed at enhancing procedural efficiency for the February 20, 2027 presidential and National Assembly elections, and March 6 gubernatorial and state assembly polls.

The signing has reignited nationwide controversy. Opposition figures and civil society organizations have condemned the hybrid transmission clause as a step backward from transparency gains in the 2022 Act, warning it could enable manipulation and erode public trust. Former INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner Mike Igini had urged Tinubu not to assent, describing the bill as a “recipe for chaos” that favors elites over voters.

Supporters, including ruling APC lawmakers, argue the changes provide necessary flexibility for Nigeria’s diverse terrain and infrastructure challenges, ensuring elections proceed smoothly even in remote or poorly connected areas.

INEC is expected to issue guidance on implementing the new provisions soon, as preparations intensify for the 2027 general elections.

The development follows months of legislative back-and-forth, public hearings, and heated plenary sessions, underscoring deep divisions over electoral integrity in Africa’s most populous democracy.

President Tinubu’s swift assent has drawn mixed reactions on social media and among stakeholders, with calls for judicial challenges already emerging from critics who view the law as undermining the push for fully digital, tamper-proof elections.

Continue Reading

News

Gas Leaks Kill 37 Miners in Plateau, 25 Hospitalised

The miners were said to have inhaled the gas while carrying out their activities underground. Most of the victims were young men between the ages of 20 and 35 who had been engaged in routine mining operations at the time of the incident.

Published

on

By

20 Views

At least 37 miners have reportedly died after being exposed to carbon monoxide while working at an underground mining site in Zurak, Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Eyewitnesses said the incident occurred in the early hours of Tuesday as the miners were extracting zinc.

During the operation, toxic gas reportedly filled the tunnels, leading to a collapse within the mining site.

The miners were said to have inhaled the gas while carrying out their activities underground. Most of the victims were young men between the ages of 20 and 35 who had been engaged in routine mining operations at the time of the incident.

Twenty-five other miners who survived the exposure have been taken to a nearby health facility, where they are currently receiving medical treatment.

Confirming the incident, the Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamisu Anani, described the deaths of the young men as worrisome and tragic, especially as they occurred during the holy month of Ramadan, when many Muslims are fasting and praying.

He stated that the mining site has been secured to prevent further casualties and to enable investigators to determine the exact cause of the gas leak.

He also appealed to the state and federal government to come to the aid of the victims and their families, noting that the incident has left a painful impact on the community.

The member representing Wase State Constituency said efforts are ongoing to support the victims, while investigations into the incident continue.

Continue Reading

News

UBA UK targets closing $100bn Africa trade gaps

UBA will leverage its Pan-African network and London operations to unlock capital, strengthen correspondent banking relationships and support African corporates and SMEs in accessing international trade opportunities.

Published

on

By

20 Views

UBA UK’s newly appointed CEO, Loknath Mishra, says that the bank is working hard to close Africa’s $100 billion trade finance shortfall by connecting more African businesses to global markets.

Mishra affirmed this during an appearance on Arise TV’s Global Business Report this week.

“UBA will leverage its Pan-African network and London operations to unlock capital, strengthen correspondent banking relationships and support African corporates and SMEs in accessing international trade opportunities,”he said.

According to him, the global trade order is changing, and supply chains are being rewritten and Africa is increasingly becoming a reliable and strategic partner.

He emphasised that UBA has a significant role to play in ensuring Africa is connected to the globe, and UBA UK plays a critical role in providing hard-currency liquidity, structured trade finance and settlement services through London’s financial infrastructure.

He highlighted that several international banks are retreating from African markets, even as trade across the continent is projected to grow faster than in many other regions.

He noted that the bank’s presence across 20 African countries enables UBA to connect buyers and sellers seamlessly, while UBA UK ensures efficient foreign currency settlement and international trade structuring.

Continue Reading

Trending