Connect with us

News

UPDATED: Tinubu Announces Death Of Chief Of Army Staff Taoreed Lagbaja

Published

on

654 Views

President Bola Tinubu has announced the passing of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja, at age 56.

According to a statement released by the President’s spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga, on Wednesday, Lagbaja passed away on Tuesday night in Lagos after a period of illness. He, however, did not disclose the illness.

President Tinubu expressed his heartfelt condolences to the family and the Nigerian Armed Forces during this difficult time.

He wished Lt. General Lagbaja eternal peace and honours his significant contributions to the nation.

Born on February 28, 1968, Lagbaja served as the Chief of Army Staff for one year and four months following his appointment to the position by President Tinubu in June 2023.

His military career began when he enrolled in the Nigerian Defence Academy in 1987. On September 19, 1992, he was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Nigerian Infantry Corps as a member of the 39th Regular Course.

FILE: The Chief of Amy Staff, Lieutenant General Taoreed Lagbaja, addresses troops in Plateau State on January 27, 2024.

Lt. General Lagbaja also served as a platoon commander in the 93 Battalion and the 72 Special Forces Battalion.

He played pivotal roles in numerous internal security operations, including Operation ZAKI in Benue State, Lafiya Dole in Borno, Udoka in Southeast Nigeria, and Operation Forest Sanity across Kaduna and Niger States.

https://81cf66e562639ea85d2af31658e563b9.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-40/html/container.html

An alumnus of the prestigious U.S. Army War College, he earned a Master’s degree in Strategic Studies, demonstrating his dedication to professional growth and excellence in military leadership.

Lt. General Lagbaja is survived by his beloved wife, Mariya, and their two children.

Death Rumours

Earlier in late October, there were rumours that the Chief of Army Staff had died in an undisclosed hospital abroad. However, the Defence Headquarters quickly dispelled the rumours, insisting that the CAS was on annual leave.

Also in a statement on October 20, Army spokesman, Onyema Nwachukwu, while insisting that there was no leadership vacuum in the Army, noted that the Chief of Policy and Plans (Army), Major General Abdulsalami Ibrahim, had been positioned to act on behalf of the COAS during his absence.

He had emphasised that Lagbaja’s absence was not affecting the operations of the service.

“There have even been insinuations that there is a leadership vacuum, with officers confused about what to do. Nothing could be further from the truth,” Nwachukwu had said.

“To be very clear, the Nigerian Army is a highly structured establishment with well-laid-out procedures and processes for dealing with different circumstances.

Before proceeding on leave, necessary protocols were put in place for the Chief of Policy and Plans (Army), Major General Abdulsalami Bagudu Ibrahim, to act on behalf of the COAS while he was away.

“This is not peculiar to the NA, as there have been instances where unforeseen human frailty kept service chiefs away for about three months, and their Chiefs of Policy and Plans held sway in their absence.

Claims of a leadership vacuum in the NA at present are therefore mere speculation, as all routine and scheduled activities of the service are on course.

”Oluyede appointed as Acting COASMeanwhile, as Lagbaja’s absence lingered, President Tinubu on October 30, appointed Major General Olufemi Olatubosun Oluyede as the Acting Chief of Army Staff.

He said Oluyede will hold sway as the COAS pending the return of Lt. General Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja, who at the time was said to be indisposed and is receiving treatment abroad.

News

Defence Headquarters say X Account Compromised

The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.

Published

on

By

4 Views

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has issued a notification to the public, media representatives, and relevant stakeholders regarding the compromise of its official account on X (formerly known as Twitter).

The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.

He said “appropriate technical measures had been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access.”

Uba assured the public that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the account, while advising members of the public to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content posted from the account during the period.

Continue Reading

News

Edo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns Amid Impeachment Plot (Video)

Published

on

8 Views

The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has resigned following moves by some lawmakers to impeach him.

Agbebaku said his decision came after extensive consultations with his constituency and party leaders.

In related developments, other principal officers of the House, including the Majority Leader and his deputy, have been suspended.

Agbebaku had served as Speaker for six years, having assumed the position during the tenure of former Governor Godwin Obaseki. He defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC) after the 2024 Edo governorship election.

Yekini Idiaye has emerged as the new Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly.

Watch video below:

Continue Reading

News

NMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards

NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.

Published

on

By

44 Views

The Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) said that it has shortlisted 972 of 1,112 entries for this year’s awards.

The Chairman of the NMMA Panel of Assessors, Otunba Dele Adetiba, said that the entries for the 34th edition cut across print, radio, and television categories.

Chairman of the NMMA Board of Trustees, Prof. Dayo Duyile, said that the award was established in 1990 to promote professionalism, ethical journalism and excellence among media practitioners.

Duyile, a veteran journalist and academic, said the NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.

Continue Reading

Trending