News
Tribunal: Atiku, PDP Indicates Plans To Call 100 Witnesses
Both the Peoples Democratic Party and it’s candidate, Atiku Abubakar are challenging the declaration of the President-elect, Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC), in the February 25 election.
Both PDP and Atiku have indicated plans to call “not more than 100 witnesses” to the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal.
Counsel for Atiku and the PDP, Chris Uche, addressing the court in Abuja on Saturday, said all the parties had met, and considered and agreed on the numbers of witnesses, duration and examination of witnesses.
Uche added that though the new time given them to call the witnesses is seven weeks, they would need three weeks, since the issues were getting narrower.
All the parties in the suit agreed to streamline the numbers of witnesses as well as the duration of each party to call witnesses.
For the evidence in chief, they categorised them into 30 minutes for the lead witness because they will tender and identify documents.
They also proposed 15 minutes for each respondent for cross-examination and five minutes for re-examination of the lead witness of the petitioners. In addition, 10 minutes was proposed for other witnesses of the petitioners, as well as 10 minutes for cross-examination of these witnesses, by the respondents.
The star witnesses of the respondents — the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Tinubu and the APC — 30 minutes was proposed, while 30 minutes was proposed for cross-examination of the respondents’ witness, by the respondents.
INEC said it has two witnesses that will testify, while the counsel to President -elect said it had 39 witnesses ready.
For the President-elect, the report of any star witness should be made available 48 hours before hearing.
The schedule of documents to be filed must be given to other parties before the hearing and calling of witnesses.
Examination of experts/star witnesses was fixed for 20 minutes, while cross-examination by respondents was scheduled for 30 minutes. Re-examination was fixed at five minutes.
Furthermore, examination of non-experts/star witness was scheduled for 10 minutes; cross-examination, 15 minutes; and re-examination at five minutes.
The same applies for the APC. The only difference is the number of witnesses — it has 25 witnesses set to testify.
News
Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun
Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.
News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.
Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
News
Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
•Kehinde Jacob Faledon
Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.
Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.
“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.
“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.
News
British Royal House Confers on Wale Edun “Commander of the Royal Victorian Order”
Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.
The British Royal House has conferred the honour of Commander of the Royal Victorian Order on Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun.
The investiture at Windsor Castle carried a ceremony and symbolism.
Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.
The award places Edun among a select group of global achievers whose public contributions transcend borders.
The ceremony also recognised Lydia Tischler, a Holocaust survivor and child psychotherapist; Rhys McClenaghan for services to gymnastics; and John Whiston for services to broadcasting and television.
Edun’s recognition resonated far beyond the grandeur of Windsor, highlighting the growing international regard for Nigeria’s reform leadership.
A former trustee of the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award, Edun’s career has long combined global engagement with institution-building.
Those same principles underpin his stewardship of Nigeria’s economy, where confidence, discipline, and consistency have become the defining themes of reform.
Since assuming office, Nigeria has begun to reverse years of macroeconomic fragility.
-
News3 days agoReverend Jesse Jackson, Iconic Civil Rights Leader, Dies at 84
-
Health3 days agoFederal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure
-
Business1 day agoDangote Forecasts Major Naira Appreciation to ₦1,100 per Dollar in 2026
-
News9 hours agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
Politics2 days agoPolitical thugs invades Ondo APC ward congress , beats chairman
-
Business2 days agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
-
Politics2 days agoAgain, Violence Erupts at Ondo APC Congress in Idanre
-
Business2 days agoNRS Fixes 2028 for e- invoicing tax collections full takeoff
