Connect with us

News

Tinubu okays release of four months withheld lecturers’ salaries

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu on Friday approved the partial waiver of the “No Work, No Pay” Order instituted against striking members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities following the commencement of their eight-month strike which began on February 14, 2022, and was terminated on October 17, 2022.

A statement signed on Friday by the President’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, revealed that the waiver “will allow for the previously striking members of ASUU to receive four months of salary accruals out of the eight months of salary which was withheld during the eight-month industrial action undertaken by the union.”

The statement is titled ‘President Tinubu approves partial waiver of the no work, no pay order on ASUU members; orders release of four months of withheld salary.’

However, Tinubu directed the grant of the waiver with a mandatory requirement that the Federal Ministry of Education and the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment must secure a Document of Understanding establishing that this exceptional waiver granted by the President will be the last one to be granted to ASUU and all other Education Sector Unions.

Invoking the Principle of the Presidential Prerogative of Mercy, Ngelale said the president sought to “mitigate the difficulties being felt during the implementation of key economic reforms in the country, as well as his recognition of the faithful implementation of terms which were agreed upon during the deliberations between ASUU and the Federal Government of Nigeria.”

News

High court dismisses Kwankwaso faction’s suit challenging NNPP leadership

Published

on

A High Court in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, has rejected a lawsuit filed by a faction aligned with Senator Rabiu Kwankwaso, which sought to challenge the leadership of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) under Chief Dr. Boniface Aniebonam and National Chairman Dr. Agbo Major.

The lawsuit, initiated by Dr. Ahmed Ajuji and 20 other individuals, aimed to invalidate the authority of the NNPP’s Board of Trustees (BoT) and its executive leadership, including Barr. Tony Christopher Obioha, National Secretary Comrade Oginni Olaposi, and Deputy National Chairman Chief Felix Chukwurah.

The plaintiffs requested that the court prevent these leaders from holding meetings, organizing congresses, or overseeing the party’s National Convention, asserting that they had been expelled from the party.

However, Justice M.A. Hassan ruled that the court lacked jurisdiction to hear the case, emphasizing that internal matters such as party leadership and membership fall outside the court’s purview.

“The law, as affirmed by both the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court, is clear: courts do not intervene in internal political party matters, except when it concerns the nomination of election candidates,” Justice Hassan stated.

This ruling follows a similar decision from the Abia State High Court (Suit No.: HUZ/11/2024) on November 1, 2024, which had reaffirmed the legitimacy of the NNPP’s Board of Trustees led by Dr. Boniface Aniebonam and upheld the validity of the party’s congresses and National Convention.

Defendants’ counsel, Segun Fiki Esq., praised the judgment, calling the case an attempt to manipulate the party’s leadership through the legal system.

“The court’s decision is clear—this is a matter outside its jurisdiction.

The NNPP’s legitimate leadership has been affirmed, and we now expect the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to recognize and cooperate with the duly elected officials of the party,” Fiki said.

Continue Reading

News

We’re working on new 2025 budget for Rivers – Sole Administrator Ibas

Published

on

The Sole Administrator of Rivers State, Retired Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, has announced that a 2025 budget is being prepared to enhance healthcare delivery, education, agriculture, and infrastructure.

Speaking on Thursday at the Government House in Port Harcourt, while receiving a delegation of the Rivers State caucus at the National Assembly, Ibas stated that the anticipated budget would also focus on creating more employment opportunities for the people of Rivers State and advancing technological development in critical areas of public life.

The delegation was led by Senator Barinada Mpigi, representing Rivers South-East District.

Other members included Senator Allwell Onyesoh and the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, Hon. Kingsley Chinda.

The rest are honourables Dumnamene Dekor, Solomon Bob, Cyril Godwin Hart, Blessing Amadi, Felix Nwaeke, Kelechi Nwogu, and Victor Obuzor.

The sole administrator emphasised that since assuming office, he has remained committed to restoring law and order in Rivers State, with the support of security agencies.

Ibas reiterated his administration’s commitment to making Rivers State a model of peace among states, with a stable economy and an environment where citizens can pursue their livelihoods without fear or intimidation.

He highlighted the importance of the lawmakers’ support as key representatives of Rivers State in the National Assembly, calling for their assistance in securing the necessary resources and legislative backing to bring his administration’s initiatives to fruition.

He said: “Since the Supreme Court verdict on the state’s budget, we have acted swiftly and decided to put together a new budget that reflects our commitment to healthcare, education, social services, and continued infrastructural development.

“We have worked diligently to ensure that the process is transparent, inclusive, and, most importantly, expedited.

“Our goal is to ensure that we do not lose any more time in making the necessary investments that will improve the lives of citizens.

“The budget, which is being finalised, focuses on creating job opportunities and investing in key sectors such as agriculture, infrastructure, and technology.

“We understand the urgency of this initiative, and we are committed to ensuring that it is implemented without delay.”

According to Ibas, the people of Rivers State have demonstrated resilience in the ongoing efforts to restore peace and uphold the rule of law.

He assured that his administration remains committed to achieving lasting peace in the state.

In his remarks, Senator Mpigi assured that members of the National Assembly caucus would support all efforts aimed at bringing development to the state.

Notable National Assembly members absent at the meeting include the immediate past Deputy Governor, Senator Ipalibo Harry Banigo, and Hon. Boma Goodhead.

Continue Reading

News

Sixty Support Groups Hold Solidarity Rally in Support of Governor Soludo’s Re-election Bid

Published

on

By Christian ABURIME

In a massive show of support, sixty support groups, comprising 120 members under the umbrella of All Soludo Support Groups (ASSG), have endorsed Governor Chukwuma Soludo’s bid for a second term.

The groups presented a whopping thirty million naira to the Governor at the International Convention Centre, Awka, to support his re-election campaign.

Governor Soludo, overwhelmed by the gesture, revealed that there is a consensus among community leaders, APGA stakeholders, youths, and students alike, urging him to run for a second term.

He attributed this consensus to the visible developments and projects executed by his administration, which has positively impacted the lives of Anambra residents.

The Governor reiterated his commitment to sustaining the vision of “One State, One People, One Agenda,” prioritizing the needs of ndi Anambra and executing projects that have transformed the state.

The Governor, thereafter, expressed his profound gratitude to all the support groups as well as their leadership.

The Cordinator of the All Soludo Support Group, ASSG, Mr. Chinedu Nwoye, flanked by other conveners, pledged to support the governor in fulfilling his manifesto and vision for the state.

Unanimously, they expressed their profound satisfaction with the sterling achievements of the administration saying that they did not make a mistake by supporting the Governor’s first term in office.

This development comes on the heels of a similar endorsement by Anambra State students, who contributed two million naira to support Governor Soludo’s re-election bid.

The Soludo Vanguard, a grassroots support group, has also mobilized support for the governor’s re-election campaign.

Continue Reading

Trending