Politics
PDP Leadership Crisis: Faction Heads to Supreme Court as Tussle Deepens
The ongoing leadership crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has taken a new turn, with one faction declaring that the Supreme Court will have the final say on the matter.
In a strongly worded press statement, the faction led by Comrade Ini Ememobong, National Publicity Secretary, expressed concern over recent developments within the party and reassured members that it has approached the apex court for a definitive resolution on the leadership dispute, particularly regarding what constitutes the party’s internal affairs.

The statement, issued on Monday, March 30, 2026, came amid heightened tension following a PDP national convention held over the weekend by a rival faction allegedly backed by Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike.
Ememobong described the gathering, tagged a “PDP convention,” as a “pre-Easter jamboree” organised by “APC sympathisers and members of Wike’s Autocratic Party.”
He accused the organisers of holding the event in contempt of the Court of Appeal, where parties had agreed on the next line of action, and noted that the validity of the convention is now before the courts.
“Furthermore, they were served with the processes of the appeal at the Supreme Court, as well as other suits challenging the holding of the said convention,” the statement added.
The faction also reacted to a fresh judgment delivered by the Federal High Court, Abuja, presided over by Justice Abdulmalik, which reportedly granted the rival group access to the PDP national secretariat and directed security agencies to protect them.
The group claimed it had earlier applied for the judge’s recusal on grounds of alleged bias.In response, Ememobong said the faction has instructed its lawyers to file an immediate appeal against the judgment.
The statement painted the crisis as part of a broader plot by the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) government under President Bola Tinubu to weaken opposition parties and impose a one-party state on Nigeria.
“These crises are clearly orchestrated by the Bola Tinubu-led APC government, who have shown morbid fear for the existence of alternative political platforms,” it alleged, citing poor performance in security, the economy, and social welfare as reasons for the alleged desperation.
The faction urged PDP members and Nigerians to remain hopeful, stating that the Supreme Court now has a historic opportunity to uphold the Constitution and its previous decisions on the jurisdiction of courts in the internal affairs of political parties.
“We urge our members and all Nigerians to keep hope alive in the sincere expectation that the apex court will come to the rescue of multi-party democracy,” the statement concluded.
The PDP has been embroiled in a protracted leadership tussle involving different factions, with accusations and counter-accusations of external interference and disregard for court processes.
The matter is widely expected to be settled at the Supreme Court. Legal experts say the apex court’s eventual decision could have far-reaching implications for the party’s preparation towards future elections and the strength of opposition politics in Nigeria.
Politics
Tinubu chairs APC Presidential Campaign Council
Photo: VP Shettima and President Tinubu
The Presidency on released a list of members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council, with President Bola Tinubu as Chairman While vice President Kashim Shettima and the Party Chairman Professor Nentawe Yilwatda will serve as chairman and vice chairman, respectively..
The list was released in a statement by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President (Information and Strategy).
The former Zamfara State governor Senator Abdulaziz Yari will serve as the director-general of the campaign. Governor Hope Uzodimma will serve as secretary of the campaign council. APC National Secretary, Senator Ajibola Bashiru and Hadiza Bala-Usman will serve as deputy and assistant secretaries.
Onanuga said that the chairman of the campaign Council, President Tinubu, will work with a body of advisers comprising Chief Bisi Akande, Chief Segun Osoba, Senator Rochas Okorocha, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, and Senator Florence Ita Giwa.
The Senate President Godswill Akpabio, Speaker Tajudeen Abass, and Governor Mai Mala Buni of Yobe State have been assigned as deputy director-generals for the campaign in the south and the north.
Politics
Oyebamiji Meets Tinubu After Osun Poll
Bola Oyebamiji, has appealed for calm in the state, as the party reviews the election results before deciding its next steps.
The candidate of the All Progressives Congress in the August 15 Osun governorship election, Bola Oyebamiji, has appealed for calm in the state, as the party reviews the election results before deciding its next steps.
Oyebamiji made the call after meeting President Bola Tinubu at the State House, a day after the re-elected Governor Ademola Adeleke also met with the President.
He said that President Tinubu stressed the importance of peaceful elections, while urging Governor Adeleke to speak to his supporters and discourage violence.
Politics
2027: Atiku Promises Nigerian Millions of Subsidy Removal If Voted President
Atiku emphasised that the subsidy removal had not delivered the expected benefits to ordinary Nigerians, arguing that the cost of living continues to rise while public services have not improved significantly to justify the hardship associated with the policy.
Former Vice President and African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, is promising millions of Nigerians he will remove petrol subsidy if elected president in the 2027 general elections.
Atiku made the pledge during an interview session streamed on Facebook live with some select Hausa language news platforms on Wednesday, where he criticised the economic consequences of the subsidy removal and questioned how the savings announced by the federal government had been utilised.
Atiku emphasised that the subsidy removal had not delivered the expected benefits to ordinary Nigerians, arguing that the cost of living continues to rise while public services have not improved significantly to justify the hardship associated with the policy.
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu had announced the end of petrol subsidy during his inauguration on May 29, 2023, declaring that “subsidy is gone.”
The decision immediately changed the structure of Nigeria’s downstream petroleum market, with petrol prices rising substantially.
The Tinubu administration had argued that the subsidy had become financially unsustainable, consuming a large share of government resources while creating opportunities for fraud, smuggling and inefficiency.
The government had also maintained that removing the subsidy was necessary to free resources for infrastructure, social programmes and other development priorities.
The previous day, the government said that the combined reforms involving petrol subsidy removal and naira liberalisation generated N15.8 trillion in savings for the federation between June 2023 and December 2025.
Atiku, said ” I initially did not oppose the removal of the fuel subsidy. But now that it has been removed, where is the money?
“If I win the presidential election, I will restore the subsidy. And anyone who stole Nigeria’s subsidy funds must return the money.”
He said that the savings from subsidy removal should have translated into improvements in healthcare, education, security and youth employment.
“Now it has been removed. Where is the money? If the funds were used to improve healthcare, education, insecurity, security and youth empowerment, things would have been better,” he stated.
-
Opinions3 days agoBREAKING: Lagos Govt Declares Today, Thursday Work-Free to Mark 2026 Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Day
-
News3 days agoUPDATE: Isese Day — Ogun, Oyo Join Lagos to Declare Today Work-Free
-
International3 days agoBREAKING: No Survivors in Kenya Safari Helicopter Crash
-
News3 days agoGov. Adeleke Prostrates Before Elder Brother After Re-Election Win
-
Business3 days ago12-years after, US clears Nigerian vessels to land at its ports
-
Business2 days agoCement price hits N16,000 per bag
-
Business3 days agoOyede Tasks States To Look Beyond Federal Allocations For Economic Growth
-
News1 day agoFG Declares August 25 Eid ul Mawlid Public Holiday
