Connect with us

Politics

2027: Atiku Kicks off campaign with proposal for fuel subsidy removal

Atiku emphasised that the subsidy removal had not delivered the expected benefits to ordinary Nigerians, arguing that the cost of living continues to rise while public services have not improved significantly to justify the hardship associated with the policy.

Published

on

3 Views

Former Vice President and African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, is promising millions of Nigerians he will remove petrol subsidy if elected president in the 2027 general elections.

Atiku made the pledge during an interview session streamed on Facebook live with some select Hausa language news platforms on Wednesday, where he criticised the economic consequences of the subsidy removal and questioned how the savings announced by the federal government had been utilised.

Atiku emphasised that the subsidy removal had not delivered the expected benefits to ordinary Nigerians, arguing that the cost of living continues to rise while public services have not improved significantly to justify the hardship associated with the policy.

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu had announced the end of petrol subsidy during his inauguration on May 29, 2023, declaring that “subsidy is gone.”

The decision immediately changed the structure of Nigeria’s downstream petroleum market, with petrol prices rising substantially.

The Tinubu administration had argued that the subsidy had become financially unsustainable, consuming a large share of government resources while creating opportunities for fraud, smuggling and inefficiency.

The government had also maintained that removing the subsidy was necessary to free resources for infrastructure, social programmes and other development priorities.

The previous day, the government said that the combined reforms involving petrol subsidy removal and naira liberalisation generated N15.8 trillion in savings for the federation between June 2023 and December 2025.

Atiku, said ” I initially did not oppose the removal of the fuel subsidy. But now that it has been removed, where is the money?

“If I win the presidential election, I will restore the subsidy. And anyone who stole Nigeria’s subsidy funds must return the money.”

He said that the savings from subsidy removal should have translated into improvements in healthcare, education, security and youth employment.

“Now it has been removed. Where is the money? If the funds were used to improve healthcare, education, insecurity, security and youth empowerment, things would have been better,” he stated.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Atiku Vows to Restore Fuel Subsidy If Elected President in 2027

Published

on

11 Views

Former Vice President and African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar has pledged to reinstate Nigeria’s petrol subsidy should he win the 2027 presidential election.

Speaking during a Facebook Live session, Atiku addressed questions on the impact of the subsidy removal on ordinary Nigerians. He said he had not initially opposed the policy but had since reversed his position after questioning the use of the savings generated.

“I initially did not oppose the removal of the fuel subsidy. But now that it has been removed, where is the money? Where has the subsidy money gone? Has it been used to improve healthcare, education or security?” he asked.

“If I win the presidential election, I will restore the subsidy. And anyone who stole Nigeria’s subsidy funds must return the money.”

President Bola Tinubu announced the removal of the petrol subsidy on May 29, 2023, during his inauguration. The move led to a sharp rise in fuel prices and subsequent increases in transportation, food and other living costs. Tinubu has defended the decision, arguing that the subsidy had become unsustainable for the country.

Continue Reading

Politics

Mascots kick off campaign for Tinubu in Abuja

The mascots held banners with inscriptions such as: “Vote Tinubu For a Stronger Naira, More Stable Economy” and “Nigeria Is Rising, Re-elect Tinubu For a Better Nigeria.”

Published

on

By

31 Views

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has kicked off campaign for reelection of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 general election by deploying mascots across strategic locations in Abuja.

This activity followed the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) decision to lift the ban on public campaigns for the 2027 Presidential and National Assembly elections.

According to the commission, the move aligns with Section 98(1) of the Electoral Act 2026, which mandates that public campaigns for political parties must commence 150 days before polling day and conclude 24 hours before the election.

Daily Trust reported that mascots were stationed at the Beggar Roundabout, City Gate, the Federal Secretariat, Wuse 2, and the Central Area, with others moving through various streets.

The mascots held banners with inscriptions such as: “Vote Tinubu For a Stronger Naira, More Stable Economy” and “Nigeria Is Rising, Re-elect Tinubu For a Better Nigeria.”

In a viral video, one of the mascots claimed he was paid N80,000 to display the campaign banner, adding that he would quit the role if offered a higher wage.

“They paid me N80,000 to carry this Tinubu poster, but if I see a better offer like N100,000, I will drop it,” the mascot said.

Continue Reading

Politics

2027 Political Campaign Begins Today

Amupitan challenged the candidates to make the economy, national security, infrastructure, healthcare, education and social inclusion central to their campaigns.

Published

on

By

42 Views

INEC Chairman, Prof. Joash Amupitan during the signing of the peace accord. Photo: INEC

THE Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Joash Amupitan, has declared that today, Wednesday, August 19, 2026, marks the statutory commencement of public campaigns and rallies for the 2027 general election.

According to INEC’s revised timetable, the presidential and National Assembly elections will hold on January 16, 2027, while the governorship and State House of Assembly elections are scheduled for February 6, 2027.

Amupitan declared the political campaign take off during a peace accord signing ceremony in Abuja by political parties and presidential and National Assembly candidates ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The peace accord ceremony was organised by the National Peace Committee in partnership with The Kukah Centre.

“Before the first campaign flag is unfurled, before the first rally is staged, and before political rhetoric fills our public space, it is necessary that those who seek to lead this nation first gather to establish the ethical boundaries of their contest,” Amupitan said.

According to him, Nigerians were expecting political parties and candidates to use the campaign period to discuss the challenges confronting the country rather than engage in personal attacks and inflammatory rhetoric.

The INEC chairman said information gathered by the National Peace Committee’s Election Security Information Hub had shown an “alarming resurgence” of hate speech, toxic polarisation, coordinated misinformation and personality-driven political discourse.

He said the trend was particularly disturbing as Nigeria approached what was expected to be one of the most fiercely contested elections since the return to democratic rule in 1999.

Amupitan challenged the candidates to make the economy, national security, infrastructure, healthcare, education and social inclusion central to their campaigns.

He likened elections to a competition for public office rather than warfare.

“Electoral contests in a constitutional democracy are not total wars; they are competitive job interviews before the electorate. Nigerians do not want insults; they want solutions,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending