News
Enugu Air: NSIB releases preliminary report
The preliminary report is available for download on the NSIB website for members of the public and the media.
The Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB) has released the preliminary report on its ongoing investigation into the accident involving an Embraer ERJ 170-100LR aircraft with nationality and registration marks 5N-ENR, operated by Enugu Air Limited.
This was disclosed on Friday by Mrs Funke Adebayo-Arowojobe
Director, Public Affairs and Family Assistance, NSIB.
The accident occurred on 23 July 2026 at about 14:55 h during a scheduled passenger flight ENU4264 from Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, to Oba Akenzua II Airport, Benin, Edo State.
The aircraft, which had five crew members and 63 passengers on board, landed on Runway 05 at Oba Akenzua II Airport and subsequently overran the end of the runway, entering the unpaved area beyond the runway.
The aircraft struck approach-lighting installations and two fixed concrete structures associated with a decommissioned localizer installation.
All 68 occupants were evacuated without injury using the emergency escape slide.
The preliminary report presents the factual information gathered so far, including information from witness statements, flight recorders, air traffic control communications and a preliminary inspection of the aircraft.
The investigation remains ongoing, and further technical examinations are underway.
The preliminary report also contains four immediate safety recommendations, A-2026-039 to A-2026-042, addressed to the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria and the Nigerian Meteorological Agency, concerning the runway-end environment, control tower line of sight and the availability of meteorological information.
The preliminary report is available for download on the NSIB website for members of the public and the media.
As part of its commitment to public transparency and the communication of safety information, the NSIB has also released a preliminary flight path recreation video based on data available at this stage of the investigation.
News
2027 Polls: INEC Fixes November For Nationwide Mock Accreditation Exercise
The exercise will test the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) and other electoral equipment, allowing the Commission to identify and address potential operational challenges ahead of the polls.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced plans to conduct a nationwide mock accreditation exercise in November 2026 as part of preparations for the 2027 general election.
The exercise will test the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) and other electoral equipment, allowing the Commission to identify and address potential operational challenges ahead of the polls.
INEC Chairman, Joash Amupitan, disclosed this during a courtesy visit by a delegation from the Canadian High Commission to the Commission’s headquarters in Abuja.
He said that the mock exercise was among INEC’s five strategic priorities for 2027, alongside strengthening technology, improving electoral inclusion, building institutional capacity, and combating misinformation.
Amupitan also said that INEC would require about 1.4 million ad-hoc personnel to conduct the 2027 elections across more than 176,000 polling units nationwide.
News
FG Declares August 25 Eid ul Mawlid Public Holiday
The declaration was announced on Friday by the Minister of Interior, Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo.
The federal government has declared Tuesday, August 25, 2026, a public holiday to mark this year’s Eid ul Mawlid, commemorating the birth of the Holy Prophet Muhammad.
The declaration was announced on Friday by the Minister of Interior, Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo.
In a statement signed by the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Dr Magdalene Ajani, the minister extended the federal government’s greetings to Muslims in Nigeria and across the diaspora.
He encourages Muslim faithful to reflect on the virtues embodied in the life and teachings of the Holy Prophet Muhammad, particularly compassion, humility and service to humanity.
“Every Eid ul Mawlid gives us reason to pause and draw lessons from a life defined by compassion, humility and service to others,” the minister said.
News
FBI to US court: Lives could be endangered if we release Tinubu’s records
The FBI said it would submit the confidential declaration before August 28 if the court grants its request.
• President Bola Tinubu
The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation has warned that releasing some records relating to President Bola Tinubu could endanger the lives or physical safety of individuals, as it seeks permission to privately explain why the documents were withheld.
The FBI made the disclosure in an application filed before the US District Court for the District of Columbia on August 20, asking the court to allow it to submit a confidential declaration explaining its position.
The agency said it could not publicly disclose the full reasons for withholding some of the records because doing so could expose sensitive law-enforcement techniques and procedures.
The FBI is seeking an ex parte, in camera declaration, which would allow it to provide the judge with its explanation privately and under seal.
The records are being sought by Aaron Greenspan, founder of PlainSite, who filed Freedom of Information Act requests for documents relating to Tinubu from 1992 and 1993.
Among the requests is Tinubu’s entire FBI file and interview records connected to an FBI case.
In its application, the FBI said it had invoked several exemptions under the US Freedom of Information Act, including provisions covering personal privacy, confidential sources, law-enforcement techniques and information that could endanger an individual.
The agency said: “The FBI has determined that it cannot provide on the public record the full basis for the application of Exemptions 7(E) and 7(F) to certain withholdings and that, therefore, an ex parte, under seal declaration is necessary.”
The FBI said it would submit the confidential declaration before August 28 if the court grants its request.
The development is the latest step in a prolonged legal dispute over requests for US government records concerning allegations linked to Tinubu and a Chicago drug investigation dating to the early 1990s.
The case began after Greenspan filed multiple FOIA requests with six US federal agencies.
(The Sun)
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu Diverts EFCC Funds to NELFUND
-
Opinions2 days agoBREAKING: Lagos Govt Declares Today, Thursday Work-Free to Mark 2026 Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Day
-
Politics3 days agoBayelsa Assembly Approves Removal Of Sagbama Council Chairman, Vice
-
Politics2 days ago2027 Political Campaign Begins Today
-
News2 days agoMilitary Pensioners Protest Exclusion from Tinubu’s Salary Increments
-
News2 days agoTinubu Appoints Abel Enitan Head of Civil Service
-
News2 days ago83 Nigerians Return from South Africa (Video)
-
International1 day agoBREAKING: No Survivors in Kenya Safari Helicopter Crash
