Politics
Osun Records Political Killings Ahead Saturday’s LG poll
Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has directed all Osun residents, including politicians across all political divides, to stay away from the local government secretariats to protect public properties and avoid further bloodshed.
No fewer than two persons have been killed after suspected political thugs wielding machetes and other dangerous weapons invaded Local Government Secretariats in Osun State.
The incident occurred on Monday, February 17, 2025.
This is coming barely a few days to Saturday’s local government election in Osun State.
It was gathered that the incident was not unconnected with the violence that trailed an attempt by members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to take over the secretariat.
The move was, however, resisted. Confirming the incident, the Osun State Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Yemisi Opalola, said police operatives had been deployed to local government secretariats across the state to maintain law and order.
Meanwhile, Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has directed all Osun residents, including politicians across all political divides, to stay away from the local government secretariats to protect public properties and avoid further bloodshed.
Adeleke gave the directive via a statement on Monday.
The governor stated: “This has become necessary, especially as the council secretariats are expected to be under lock and key, due to the withdrawal of service, announced by workers of the Nigerian Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) across the state. “I equally condole families of victims of the APC illegal takeover bid and chaos unleashed across the state by the APC and their hired thugs.
“The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), lost five members with several others wounded. Two of those members are from Iragbiji, Boripe local government.
Another two were killed at Ola Oluwa Local government. Another one was lost at Ikire. We must stop further bloodshed.
“I have directed security agencies to take charge of all local government secretariats and I hereby assure residents of Osun of their safety and protection of lives and properties.”
Politics
Mascots kick off campaign for Tinubu in Abuja
The mascots held banners with inscriptions such as: “Vote Tinubu For a Stronger Naira, More Stable Economy” and “Nigeria Is Rising, Re-elect Tinubu For a Better Nigeria.”
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has kicked off campaign for reelection of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 general election by deploying mascots across strategic locations in Abuja.
This activity followed the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) decision to lift the ban on public campaigns for the 2027 Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the commission, the move aligns with Section 98(1) of the Electoral Act 2026, which mandates that public campaigns for political parties must commence 150 days before polling day and conclude 24 hours before the election.
Daily Trust reported that mascots were stationed at the Beggar Roundabout, City Gate, the Federal Secretariat, Wuse 2, and the Central Area, with others moving through various streets.
The mascots held banners with inscriptions such as: “Vote Tinubu For a Stronger Naira, More Stable Economy” and “Nigeria Is Rising, Re-elect Tinubu For a Better Nigeria.”
In a viral video, one of the mascots claimed he was paid N80,000 to display the campaign banner, adding that he would quit the role if offered a higher wage.
“They paid me N80,000 to carry this Tinubu poster, but if I see a better offer like N100,000, I will drop it,” the mascot said.
Politics
2027 Political Campaign Begins Today
Amupitan challenged the candidates to make the economy, national security, infrastructure, healthcare, education and social inclusion central to their campaigns.
• INEC Chairman, Prof. Joash Amupitan during the signing of the peace accord. Photo: INEC
THE Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Joash Amupitan, has declared that today, Wednesday, August 19, 2026, marks the statutory commencement of public campaigns and rallies for the 2027 general election.
According to INEC’s revised timetable, the presidential and National Assembly elections will hold on January 16, 2027, while the governorship and State House of Assembly elections are scheduled for February 6, 2027.
Amupitan declared the political campaign take off during a peace accord signing ceremony in Abuja by political parties and presidential and National Assembly candidates ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The peace accord ceremony was organised by the National Peace Committee in partnership with The Kukah Centre.
“Before the first campaign flag is unfurled, before the first rally is staged, and before political rhetoric fills our public space, it is necessary that those who seek to lead this nation first gather to establish the ethical boundaries of their contest,” Amupitan said.
According to him, Nigerians were expecting political parties and candidates to use the campaign period to discuss the challenges confronting the country rather than engage in personal attacks and inflammatory rhetoric.
The INEC chairman said information gathered by the National Peace Committee’s Election Security Information Hub had shown an “alarming resurgence” of hate speech, toxic polarisation, coordinated misinformation and personality-driven political discourse.
He said the trend was particularly disturbing as Nigeria approached what was expected to be one of the most fiercely contested elections since the return to democratic rule in 1999.
Amupitan challenged the candidates to make the economy, national security, infrastructure, healthcare, education and social inclusion central to their campaigns.
He likened elections to a competition for public office rather than warfare.
“Electoral contests in a constitutional democracy are not total wars; they are competitive job interviews before the electorate. Nigerians do not want insults; they want solutions,” he said.
Politics
Bayelsa Assembly Approves Removal Of Sagbama Council Chairman, Vice
The decision followed a petition against the Council Chairman over alleged failure to present monthly transparent briefings, non-presentation of the annual budget before expenditure, and failure to appear before the House when invited.
The Bayelsa State House of Assembly has approved the removal from office of the Chairman of Sagbama Local Government Area, Hon. Alice Allen Tangi, and her Vice Chairman, Hon. Sufade Jefferson Tobi, over alleged gross misconduct.
The decision followed a petition against the Council Chairman over alleged failure to present monthly transparent briefings, non-presentation of the annual budget before expenditure, and failure to appear before the House when invited.
New Telegraph reported that the resolution was announced on Tuesday, by the Speaker of the House, Rt. Hon. Abraham Ingobere.
The action was taken in compliance with Section 22, subsections 6 and 7 of the Bayelsa State Administration Law of 2000.
Ingobere disclosed that 20 members were present during the proceedings, with 17 voting in favour of the removal of the council chairman and vice chairman.
-
News3 days ago200 Kaduna varsity lecturers resign over poor condition of service
-
Business2 days agoCBN’s Sidi-Ali wins 2026 overall Spokesperson of the Year Award, courtesy of NSA
-
Crime3 days agoNDLEA destroys illicit drugs valued at N301bn in Lagos
-
News3 days agoEdo House of Assembly Elect New Speaker Idiaye, Hints Why Agbebaku Resign
-
News22 hours agoBREAKING: Tinubu Diverts EFCC Funds to NELFUND
-
Sports2 days agoNFF Sacks Madugu over WAFCON crashed out
-
Politics2 days ago2Baba’s wife Natasha emerges Edo Assembly Minority Leader
-
International2 days agoTrump Annex Strait of Hormuz “New US Territory”
