Connect with us

News

NUPRC, NMDPRA boards get new Chairs: Magnus Abe, and Adegbite Adeniji

In separate letters to the Senate on Monday, President Tinubu requested expedited approval for the board members of the NUPRC and the NMDPRA, including 20 other nominees to serve on the boards of the two key petroleum regulatory agencies.

Published

on

316 Views

Image: Magnus Abe; Adegbite Adeniji

President Bola Tinubu has nominated former Rivers South-East Senator Magnus Abe as chairman of the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC).

The President also nominated Adegbite Adeniji, a lawyer with over 30 years of experience in energy and natural resources, as chairman Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA).

In separate letters to the Senate on Monday, President Tinubu requested expedited approval for the board members of the NUPRC and the NMDPRA, including 20 other nominees to serve on the boards of the two key petroleum regulatory agencies.

Magnus Abe

Abe, who represented Rivers South-East in the Senate for two terms, previously served as a board member of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation and currently chairs the National Agency of the Great Green Wall.

According to a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, Abe will lead the NUPRC board alongside other non-executive commissioners including Paul Jezhi, a former Trade Union Congress chairman in Kaduna, and Sunday Babalola, a former deputy director of the defunct Department of Petroleum Resources.

Adeniji

Adeniji previously served as special technical adviser to the Minister of State for Petroleum on upstream and gas until 2018 and was a member of the World Bank’s Oil & Gas Policy Team.

The President also nominated seven executive commissioners to the NUPRC board: Muhammed Lamido as executive commissioner for finance; Edu Inyang for exploration and acreage; Justin Ezeala for economic regulation and strategic planning; and Henry Oki for development and production.Others are Indabawa Alka for corporate services and administration; Mahmood Tijani for health, safety and environment; and Olayemi Adeboyejo as secretary and legal adviser.

Lamido and Adeboyejo were initially appointed by former President Muhammadu Buhari in 2022, while Tinubu appointed Alka in 2023.

Inyang, Ezeala, a former managing director of Nigerian Gas Marketing Limited, Tijani, Babalola, and Jezhi are new appointees.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

NMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards

NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.

Published

on

By

44 Views

The Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) said that it has shortlisted 972 of 1,112 entries for this year’s awards.

The Chairman of the NMMA Panel of Assessors, Otunba Dele Adetiba, said that the entries for the 34th edition cut across print, radio, and television categories.

Chairman of the NMMA Board of Trustees, Prof. Dayo Duyile, said that the award was established in 1990 to promote professionalism, ethical journalism and excellence among media practitioners.

Duyile, a veteran journalist and academic, said the NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.

Continue Reading

News

Nigerian Law school student dies after falling from hostel rooftop

The deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.

Published

on

By

87 Views

•Faith Alayande

A Nigerian Law School student identified as Faith Alayande, is dead after she fell from the rooftop at Lagos campus.

In a statement on Monday, Aderonke Osho, secretary to the council and director of administration, said that the deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.

Osho said preliminary findings revealed that the student died from injuries sustained after falling from the rooftop of the campus hostel around 4am on Friday.

The Nigerian Law School is deeply saddened by this tragic development.

“Management is working closely with the appropriate authorities and the family to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident, ensure that all necessary procedures are duly followed, and provide further information as appropriate.”

Continue Reading

News

Ekwulobia Suspends New Yam Festival for Kidnap Billionaire Son

A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.

Published

on

By

83 Views

• Joseph Ezeokafor

Ekwulobia community in Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State has cancelled its New Yam festival celebration billed for September 4, 2026.

Ohibaba.com learned that this is because of the kidnap of billionaire businessman and owner of Jezco Group of Companies, Chief Joseph Ezeokafor.

Ezeokafor was kidnapped in Awka on Tuesday last week when he stepped out of his house without his security details to attend to his spiritual need, where he goes to offer prays.

Public Relations Officer of Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga who confirmed the development said that serious operation is currently ongoing to save the elder statesman.

His kidnap has sent his community into mourning, causing the postponement of the new Yam festival, an annual festival which holds on a static date every year.

A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.

“The Igwe said the community of Ekwulobia cannot celebrate while their son remains in the custody of the kidnappers,” the source said.

Continue Reading

Trending