Connect with us

Crime

Mayhem Escalates in South-East over Sit-At-Home Order as FG refuses to release Nnamdi Kanu

Published

on

234 Views

The plights, fears and despair of Southeast residents and Ndigbo in general is far from over, as the Federal Government of Nigeria has refused to release the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu.

This is because the Bola Ahmed Tinubu-led administration has seemingly adopted a silent and indifferent stance amid continued appeals and violent protests in the Southeast for the release of Kanu, who has been in detention as a prisoner of conscience since June 2021.

Kanu’s detention came after his extraordinary rendition from Kenya. He was then thrown into the Department of State Services (DSS) cell during the former Muhammadu Buhari presidency.

According to the then Buhari government, Kanu was arrested abroad and brought back to answer for a 15-count terrorism-related charges. And while many, especially critics applauded the government’s move, claiming that Kanu’s rhetoric exacerbates ethnic tensions and threatens national unity, some others argued that the IPOB leader was only championing the rights of the marginalised Igbo people and calling attention to the perceived injustices they face within Nigeria.

Amid the polarised debate on the detention of Nnamdi Kanu, a long-drawn legal tussle ensued between the IPOB leader’s legal team and the federal government of Nigeria.

And in October 2022, the Abuja Division of the Appeal Court discharged and ordered the release of Kanu, citing that the government lacked jurisdiction to prosecute the IPOB leader due to a faulty extradition process.

However, the government brazenly rejected the ruling and got the Appeal Court to reverse itself by issuing a stay-of-execution order on its judgement.

Nnamdi Kanu has been detained for two years, and the FG appears uncommitted to bringing the IPOB founder’s case to a swift conclusion.

Prominent Igbo leaders and foreign organisations had pleaded with the government to free Kanu, but their cries went unanswered.

This situation further fueled cries and beliefs of segregation against the Igbos under the then Buhari-administration. And this brought double jeopardy in the southeast, as armed gangs unleashed mayhem on government officials and enthroned terror upon innocent residents through enforced routine sit-at-home orders.

These wanton carnages have grounded economic, political and social activities in the region.

However, the advent of the Tinubu government on May 29, 2023, has not only ignited hope that the Igbos would be treated fairly by his government, but also renewed calls and pressures for Nnamdi Kanu’s release.

Barely one month into his administration, Tinubu has had conversations with several concerned groups such as Governors Charles Soludo of Anambra State and Peter Mbah of Enugu State, plus the President-General of the apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohaneze Ndigbo on the release of Nnamdi Kanu.

Last week, Governor Mbah after a closed-door meeting with the President in Abuja, disclosed that he urged President Tinubu to give utmost consideration towards extending a hand of fellowship to the South-East people through the release of Kanu.

Mbah said that the South East identified with President Tinubu’s promise that he’ll engender national healing and serve the country with compassion.

“So, we’ve basically informed him that this would serve as a pointer to his administration’s extension of hands of fellowship,” the Governor said.

In the same vein, retired army officer Hassan Stan-Labo, a security expert, on Wednesday, joined the raging calls on President Tinubu to release Kanu to end rising insecurity in the southeast.

Stan-Labo during an interview warned that the continued detention of Kanu will make him a hero.

“Frankly speaking, further incarceration of Kanu will only make him more and more relevant, only heightens the hero worship over him,” he said.

Also, Aloy Ejimakor, Special Counsel to Nnamdi Kanu, urged Tinubu not to behave like his predecessor who took calls for self-determination as a personal vendetta against Kanu.

Ejimakor in a tweet he made on Wednesday, said Kanu’s self-determination was against the Nigerian State and not Tinubu.

“The demand for self-determination is not personal. It is a demand on the Nigerian State, not against its President. It was Buhari that took it personally to the point that he killed & renditioned for it. President Tinubu should be smart enough not to repeat the same mistake. RONU.

“If you are offended by INJUSTICE, regardless of your tribal affiliation, raise your voice for the immediate release of MAZI NNAMDI KANU and all prisoners of conscience President Tinubu (@officialABAT) inherited from Buhari. Your silence is not golden. Please speak up! Thank you,” Ejimakor’s tweet read.

Amidst the influx of appeals on Tinubu, tough-talking Finland-based Biafra agitator, and self-acclaimed disciple of Kanu, Simon Ekpa dismissed moves by southeast governors to end the routine Monday sit-at-home and ordered a one-week lockdown of the southeast region to protest the IPOB leader’s continued detention.

And even with the harsh consequence of these lockdowns on residents, Ekpa and his supporters insist on it and would go on a warpath with anyone that dissuades people from obeying the sit-at-home order.

The seven-day lockdown which entered Day-4 on Thursday is generating apprehension in the entire southeast. On Tuesday, communities in Ebonyi State were thrown into turmoil as armed hoodlums who were reportedly enforcing the sit-at-home order, set ablaze a police van at Ukwagba village and shot sporadically to scare citizens away from ever coming out.

The hoodlums stormed the Ukwagba police checkpoint and told officers to vacate, and thereafter burnt the police van. They also stormed the Ishieke police checkpoint and shot sporadically which made police officers in the area scamper for their lives.

Furthermore, the hoodlums allegedly raided the Afiaohu market located along Abakaliki/Enugu Express and allegedly shot into the air to force business owners in the market to flee, leaving their wares behind.

Again on Wednesday in Enugu state, the residents were thrown into serious tension and fear as unknown gunmen reportedly moved around many parts of the State to enforce the one-week sit-at-home declared by Ekpa.

The gunmen, who had their faces covered with masks, drove in a Siena vehicle, as well as tricycles, shooting sporadically at the New Market axis of the State, Artisan, Emene, New Haven, Abakpa, Agbani Road and NOWAS.

Imo State has not been left out, with the gunmen also storming several places to force the people back to their homes.

With all the carnage, protests in the southeast, plus passionate appeals for Kanu’s release, the Nigerian government’s body language appears unperturbed, as President Tinubu has maintained sealed lips to the ranging clamours. And this has left Nigerians proffering more reasons why the MNK should be released.

For Monday Ubani, Chairman, Section of Public Interest and Development (SPIDEL) of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), the continued detention of MNK is not only worrisome but a clear indication that judges are no longer interested in the issues of liberty of citizens.

According to Ubani, “the Issue of freedom of an individual is very important. Maybe I will recommend that some of our justices should go to prison and spend one month, and lose their freedom, to appreciate why enforcement of fundamental human rights of an individual should be taken seriously.

He added that, “There was a time when you filed a fundamental human rights suit and got an expeditious hearing. But now you file a fundamental right matter or even bail application, the person has not been convicted and he is there for months. And there is no interest by justices to grant freedom to someone who has not been convicted.

“Nnamdi Kanu has been in prison for almost two years now. And there is no hurry on the part of judges to ensure that this matter is handled.

“So I join in appealing to the President to come up with a political solution and hand over Nnamdi Kanu to Igbo leaders and stakeholders in the Southeast with an agreement that Nnamdi Kanu should maintain the peace. I believe that Nnamdi Kanu has learnt his lesson.

“We need to bring back sanity in the southeast because some criminals are using this opportunity of Nnamdi Kanu’s incarceration to cause havoc in the eastern region citing Kanu’s incarceration as the reason.

“One of the ways to solve this is to release Kanu so we can now get the criminals causing the havoc in the southeast. I think that the President, for the sake of reconciling and healing Nigeria’s wounds, let him release MNK and find a political solution to this problem rather than allow the young man to linger in prison, even when he has not been found culpable. So the judiciary has to live up to expectation,” Ubani said.

Also, Sonnie Ekwowusi, a legal practitioner and Chairman, of the Human Rights Committee of the African Bar Association, admonished President Tinubu to curb the cries of discontent and secession of any region in Nigeria with good governance.

“People and groups agitate for the breakup of Nigeria because of injustices. Injustice angers people and makes them want to go their separate ways, as you can see in the case of MNK who call for self-determination for the southeast region, but ended up being clamped in prison by the Buhari government.

“Self-determination is recognised in the African Charter. MNK did not commit any crime that is worse than what the Fulani herdsmen have been doing in various parts of the country. Yet nobody has prosecuted the Fulani herdsmen.

“People are calling on the Tinubu government to show inclusion, balance and a no-victor-no-vanquish posture by first releasing Kanu.

“The President should also ensure true federalism in Nigeria. He should give every region a sense of belonging. And with these, more Nigerians will be at peace with his government,” Ekwowusi added.

Crime

Delta APC Congress: Ibori’s Daughter Escapes Assassination Bid as Thugs Invade Ethiope West Venue

Published

on

2 Views

Tension escalated during the All Progressives Congress (APC) Local Government Congress in Ethiope West Local Government Area on Saturday when violence erupted, forcing Hon. Erhiatake Ibori-Suenu, the member representing Ethiope Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives and daughter of former Delta State Governor James Ibori, to flee under heavy security in what her supporters and aides described as a targeted assassination attempt.

The congress, originally slated for Oghara Township Stadium but relocated to Ovade Primary School, was underway with delegate accreditation and consultations when suspected hoodlums—armed with cutlasses, guns, and other dangerous weapons—stormed the venue. Eyewitnesses reported that the attackers caused widespread panic, injuring several supporters of the federal lawmaker and blocking access to the site, which disrupted the process of electing party executives.

Hon. Ibori-Suenu arrived at the new venue amid heightened tensions within party factions. Reports indicate that her supporters were attacked as they attempted to participate, with some alleging intimidation aimed at suppressing her group’s involvement. She reportedly escaped unhurt thanks to her security detail, while multiple delegates sustained injuries during the chaos.

The incident has been attributed by some sources to internal party rivalries, with claims of sponsorship by opposing political figures, though these remain unverified allegations.

The Delta State APC has denied reports of violence or any attack on Ibori-Suenu, dismissing them as media sensationalism and emphasizing overall party unity following the congress exercises across the state.

No official police statement on arrests or investigations has been released yet, but the event has raised fresh concerns about political violence ahead of future electoral processes in the region.

Continue Reading

Crime

NDLEA Busts Woman with Fake Pregnancy Concealing Tramadol (Photos)

Published

on

4 Views

As Ivorian Excretes 82 Cocaine Wraps at Kano Airport.

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has uncovered creative and high-stakes drug smuggling attempts across Nigeria, including a woman using a fake baby bump made from a calabash to hide thousands of tramadol capsules and an Ivorian national who ingested cocaine pellets for export to Europe.

In one bizarre case at the Seme land border in Lagos State on February 16, operatives intercepted 35-year-old Kano businesswoman Rabi Muhammad attempting to cross into Cotonou, Benin Republic. Suspicion arose from her prominently protruding abdomen.

A full body search revealed the “pregnancy” was fabricated — she had tied a pink-coloured calabash around her stomach to conceal 3,200 capsules of tramadol destined for sale abroad.

On the same day at Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport (MAKIA), NDLEA officers detained 41-year-old Ivorian Michael Gohouri (alias Anunwa Onyinye Michael) during outbound clearance for an Ethiopian Airlines flight to Milan, Italy, via Addis Ababa. A body scan confirmed ingestion of narcotics. Under medical observation, he excreted 82 wraps of cocaine weighing 1.49 kilograms. The suspect, who arrived in Lagos from Milan in mid-January and shuttled between cities before loading the drugs in a Kano hotel, reportedly stood to earn €5,000 upon delivery. He holds an Italian resident permit and a Nigerian NIN under his alias.

In a significant hit against organized trafficking, NDLEA arrested Kolapo Oladapo Raji, 57, Chairman and CEO of real estate firm Trans Fortress Global Resources. Placed on the agency’s watchlist in 2025, Raji was nabbed at his Ikate, Lekki residence in Lagos on February 12 following surveillance after a UK trip. Searches recovered 89.20 kilograms of Canadian Loud cannabis in four large bags and a 2024 Toyota Hilux. Raji admitted entering the trade via financing for an overseas contact, with profits prompting him to build his own network.

Additional seizures and arrests occurred nationwide:

  • Lagos: 56kg skunk from Ugwuja Kingsley in Agbara (February 19) and 76kg from Ekwe Arinze in Oshodi (February 17).
  • Rivers State (Onne Port): 170,900 bottles of codeine syrup in a container, uncovered via joint intelligence-led inspection.
  • Kogi State: 7,300 tramadol 225mg pills hidden in sound systems on a Lagos-Kano bus (February 15), leading to arrests of Ezenma Kingsley (26) and Ezeja Anthony (29) in Abuja (February 17).
  • Ondo State: 195kg and 198kg skunk from suspects in forest raids (February 19).
  • Bauchi State: 936kg skunk from Yahaya Adamu Gimba (48) in Azare, plus 85.8kg from him and three accomplices (February 17).
  • Delta State: 37kg skunk in Ughelli (February 17).
  • Edo State: Destruction of over 1,266kg skunk on three farms in Owan West, with 23kg processed cannabis recovered; arrests including 68-year-old grandmother Evelyn Ogenewu and Friday Iruoje (43) (February 17).

NDLEA Chairman Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) praised operatives from MAKIA, Seme, Lagos, Edo, Bauchi, Port Harcourt Ports, Ondo, Delta, and Kogi commands for their successes. He emphasized the agency’s dual focus on supply reduction through enforcement and demand reduction via War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization in schools and communities nationwide.

The update was released by Femi Babafemi, Director of Media & Advocacy, NDLEA Headquarters, Abuja, on Sunday, February 22, 2026.

Continue Reading

Crime

Court Adjourns Malami, Son’s Trial to Feb 27 Over FCT Public Holiday

Published

on

19 Views

The Federal High Court in Abuja has adjourned the ongoing trial of former Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), and his son, Abdulaziz Malami, to February 27, 2026.

The adjournment was announced on Friday by Justice Joyce Abdulmalik during proceedings in the case instituted by the Department of State Services (DSS), also known as the State Security Service.

The case, which involves allegations including terrorism financing and unlawful possession of firearms, could not proceed as scheduled due to a public holiday declared by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike. The holiday was proclaimed ahead of the scheduled area council elections in the FCT set for the following day.

Following the declaration, the court ordered that the defendants remain remanded in the custody of the DSS pending the next hearing date.

Malami and his son had earlier pleaded not guilty to the five-count charge when they were arraigned before the same judge. The matter had previously been adjourned to February 20 for consideration of bail applications and the potential commencement of trial.

This development marks another delay in the high-profile legal proceedings against the former chief law officer of Nigeria and his son. The case continues to draw significant public attention amid broader anti-corruption and security-related probes in the country.

The court is expected to reconvene on February 27 for further proceedings.

Continue Reading

Trending