Connect with us

News

JUST IN: Tinubu Meets With Service Chiefs In Aso Rock For First Time

Published

on

403 Views

For the first time since assumption of office, President Bola Tinubu on Thursday met with the service chiefs at the State House in Abuja on May 29, 2023.

Those in attendance at the President’s first engagement with heads of the nation’s security and intelligence agencies include the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Farouk Yahaya; Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Awwal Gambo; the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Isiaka Amao; and the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba.

Others are the Director-General of the Department of State Service(DSS), Yusuf Bichi; and the Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ahmed Rufai Abubakar.

Tinubu, during his inaugural speech at the Eagle Square on Monday, promised to prioritise security, amongst other pressing areas.

He said, “We shall defend the nation from terror and all forms of criminality that threaten the peace and stability of our country and our sub-region.”

“Security shall be the top priority of our administration because neither prosperity nor justice can prevail amidst insecurity and violence.

“To effectively tackle this menace, we shall reform both our security doctrine and its architecture.

“We shall invest more in our security personnel, and this means more than an increase in number. We shall provide, better training, equipment, pay, and firepower.”

News

Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Published

on

By

2 Views

Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun

Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.

News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.

Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Continue Reading

News

Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

Published

on

By

27 Views

•Kehinde Jacob Faledon

Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.

Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.

“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.

“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.

Continue Reading

News

British Royal House Confers on Wale Edun “Commander of the Royal Victorian Order”

Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.

Published

on

By

17 Views

The British Royal House has conferred the honour of Commander of the Royal Victorian Order on Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun.

The investiture at Windsor Castle carried a ceremony and symbolism.

Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.

The award places Edun among a select group of global achievers whose public contributions transcend borders.

The ceremony also recognised Lydia Tischler, a Holocaust survivor and child psychotherapist; Rhys McClenaghan for services to gymnastics; and John Whiston for services to broadcasting and television.

Edun’s recognition resonated far beyond the grandeur of Windsor, highlighting the growing international regard for Nigeria’s reform leadership.

A former trustee of the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award, Edun’s career has long combined global engagement with institution-building.

Those same principles underpin his stewardship of Nigeria’s economy, where confidence, discipline, and consistency have become the defining themes of reform.

Since assuming office, Nigeria has begun to reverse years of macroeconomic fragility.

Continue Reading

Trending