Connect with us

News

JUST IN: Arewa Consultative Forum Distances self from Endorsing Kalu for Senate Presidency

Published

on

281 Views

The Arewa Consultative Forum, ACF, has distanced itself from claims that it endorsed former Abia State Governor, Sen.Orji Uzor Kalu for the Senate Presidency of the 10th National Assembly, following a statement credited to the leader of the Arewa Youth Conservative Forum, AYCF, Alhaji Yerima Shettima, claiming that Kalu was the preferred candidate of ACF.

In a statement on Monday, one of its members, Alhaji Musa Saidu, said the claim was false, adding that the Forum had no youth wing.

 The full statement reads:

“I want to say without fear of contradiction, that the ACF has no youth wing and there was no time that we sat to make Shettima the AYCF leader. The whole thing is false.

“The ACF has not endorsed Kalu as the next Senate President, because we have our own ways of doing things.
“It is shocking to hear Shettima asking Sen. Abdulaziz Yari to step down for Kalu in the race for Senate Presidency,” he said.

Saidu further said rather than support Kalu, ACF would prefer a candidate from the North because of its contribution to the victory of President Bola Tinubu at the presidential polls.

“The North contributed the highest votes for Tinubu in the presidential election, so we can’t just endorse candidates from other zones for the Senate Presidency.

“How can we work for Tinubu to become president and then turn around to start campaigning for other zones to become Senate President?

“In fact the Vice-President slot given to the North is just like a spare tyre, everybody in Nigeria knows that the position has not much value.

“Since the North West gave Tinubu the highest votes, then it should be given the Senate Presidency, the position of the Speaker of the House of Representatives is too small for the zone,” he said.

According to Saidu, ”It is a payback time for the North, so it should be given the
Senate Presidency of the 10th National Assembly.

“For fairness and justice, the North should be considered for the Senate Presidency and Sen. Abdulaziz Yari should be endorsed for the position.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Published

on

By

12 Views

Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun

Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.

News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.

Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Continue Reading

News

Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

Published

on

By

29 Views

•Kehinde Jacob Faledon

Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.

Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.

“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.

“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.

Continue Reading

News

British Royal House Confers on Wale Edun “Commander of the Royal Victorian Order”

Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.

Published

on

By

18 Views

The British Royal House has conferred the honour of Commander of the Royal Victorian Order on Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun.

The investiture at Windsor Castle carried a ceremony and symbolism.

Acting on behalf of King Charles, Princess Catherine conferred the honour in recognition of distinguished personal service to the Crown.

The award places Edun among a select group of global achievers whose public contributions transcend borders.

The ceremony also recognised Lydia Tischler, a Holocaust survivor and child psychotherapist; Rhys McClenaghan for services to gymnastics; and John Whiston for services to broadcasting and television.

Edun’s recognition resonated far beyond the grandeur of Windsor, highlighting the growing international regard for Nigeria’s reform leadership.

A former trustee of the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award, Edun’s career has long combined global engagement with institution-building.

Those same principles underpin his stewardship of Nigeria’s economy, where confidence, discipline, and consistency have become the defining themes of reform.

Since assuming office, Nigeria has begun to reverse years of macroeconomic fragility.

Continue Reading

Trending