Business
Govt’s Excise Duty Puts 950,000 Manufacturing, Allied industries jobs at Risk of Layoffs
The increases in excise duty on sweetend beverages, beers, tobacco and single use plastics by the Federal Government will severely affect 950,000 direct and indirect employees in the manufacturing sector’s value chain.
Based on this, the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) has called on the Federal Government to reverse the 2023 Fiscal Policy Measures, and retain the 2022 -2024 excise duty roadmap as approved in the 2022 FPM.
This is to foster stability in the affected sectors and their value chain.
Otunba Francis Meshioye, President of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), said that the government had better suspend the policy in the interest of the national economy.
At a press conference in Lagos, the previous day, the MAN President noted that companies in the affected industries support other businesses in their value chain, cutting across agriculture, logistics, bottling, labelling and packaging businesses, as well as factory and office staff, distribution, wholesale and retail businesses, catering for over 950,000 direct and indirect employees.
” For instance, over 37,000 sorghum farmers rely on the brewing sector for their livelihood. Unemployment rate which stands at 41 percent , puts about 489,000 existing jobs at risk and which will further widen the unemployment gap,” he said .
He explained that a crash in sale volumes and consequent cuts in production will severely impact
these businesses in the value chain, which will have a multiplier effect on the national economy.
” For instance, supplier transactions in the sector declined by over N260 billion by the end of 2022, when compared to 2021,” he said.
He said that retaining the 2023 FPM will have a negative signalling effect on current and prospective investors.
“A continuing decline in sale volumes will necessitate production cuts and a re-evaluation of investments in the sector. Specifically, if sales proceeds can no longer sustain
business overheads and operating expenses, businesses will be forced to scale
down their operations which would result in factory closures, job losses, a decline in exports and much more.
It is instructive to note that the Excise increase is a direct attack on Foreign Direct Investment (FDI),” he said.
Commenting on the introduction of the Single Use Plastics tax, he said that it is necessary for the authority to reverse the tax on Single Use Plastics and engage with relevant stakeholders
to facilitate ongoing initiatives, which have a better prospect of achieving the desired environmental objectives.
“A good example of this is the Food & Beverage Recycling Alliance, approved by the federal government,” he said.
Business
IEA chief warns Oil market could enter ‘red zone’ by July as stocks dwindle ahead of summer travel season
Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz..
•Faith Birol
Fatih Birol, executive director of the International Energy Agency (IEA) warned on Thursday that the oil markets could soon enter a “red zone” as global stocks deplete and as demand picks up during the summer travel season.
Birol’s comments came during a Chatham House session on the Strait of Hormuz crisis and global energy security.
Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz.
” If it fails to reopen and no new oil is coming online from the Middle East, an ongoing drawdown in global stockpiles combined with an uptick in demand during the summer travel season means oil markets “may be entering the red zone in July or August,” Birol said, without elaborating further.
The IEA has previously said the global market is facing the most severe disruption in its history. That’s despite, Birol said, the market having benefitted from being in the “fortunate” position of entering the crisis with a surplus to help absorb the shock. These stocks, however, are now eroding, Birol said.
Typically, roughly 20% of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes through the Strait of Hormuz, but shipping traffic has virtually halted since U.S. and Israeli-led strikes against Iran started on Feb. 28.
The IEA chief said the “biggest pain of this crisis will be felt in developing Asia and Africa,” adding that he was just as concerned about the impact of the Iran war on global food security as he was on energy security.
Business
Femi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
The Chairman of First HoldCo, Femi Otedola, said on Wednesday “From on a personal note, I’ve appealed to him (Aliko Dangote to allocate to me shares worth $100 million private placement, ahead of the Refinery’s initial public offer.”
“That’s one of the reasons I sold my stake in Geregu plant to come and invest my proceeds in the IPO of Dangote refinery.”
Otedola told journalists when he led top executives of First HoldCo on a tour of the refinery and the fertiliser plans in the Lekki free trade zone area.
The team also visited key project sites such as the jetty, a facility built by Dangote industries to receive large vessels.
The private placement is the latest announcement in the refinery’s Initial Public Offering plan, IPO expected later in the year.
Business
CBN Holds Benchmark Interest Rate at 26.5% Amid Renewed Inflation Concerns
The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has retained the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 26.5 per cent, maintaining the current stance after its two-day meeting that ended on Wednesday, May 20, 2026.
CBN Governor Olayemi Cardoso announced the decision, noting that the committee voted unanimously to hold all key parameters unchanged. The asymmetric corridor around the MPR remains at +500/-450 basis points, the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) stays at 45 per cent for commercial banks and 16 per cent for merchant banks, while the liquidity ratio is retained at 30 per cent.
The hold comes as headline inflation rose for a second consecutive month to 15.69 per cent in April 2026, up from previous levels, driven largely by food inflation at 16.06 per cent and higher transportation costs. Cardoso emphasised the need for a cautious and vigilant approach to anchor inflation expectations and safeguard macroeconomic stability.
This decision aligns with analysts’ expectations ahead of the 305th MPC meeting and follows the first rate cut in years implemented in February 2026, when the MPR was reduced by 50 basis points to the current 26.5 per cent.
The CBN Governor highlighted ongoing reforms, exchange rate stability, and efforts to improve food supply as factors supporting the disinflation process, even as global and domestic risks persist. The next MPC meeting is expected in July.
The retention signals the apex bank’s priority on taming inflation while monitoring the impact of previous policy actions on the broader economy.
-
Politics3 days agoObi emerges NDC’s sole presidential aspirant
-
Crime2 days agoBREAKING: EFCC Nabs Convicted Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman After Years on The Run
-
Sports3 days agoGuardiola debunks Man City exit report
-
International2 days agoAfghan fathers forced to selling children to survive
-
Business1 day agoFemi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
-
Sports3 days agoGuardiola ends 10-year Manchester City reign
-
International2 days agoKenyan transport operators suspend strike for one-week to allow talks
-
Sports2 days agoAFCON 2027 qualifiers: Nigeria to face Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau
