News
Governor Bago Receives 100 Released Niger Students
According to a list of the released children seen by AFP, most of those freed are aged between 10 and 17 years
Image: WhatsApp
NIGER State Governor, Umar Bago on Monday, received 100 schoolchildren kidnapped from a Catholic school in Niger State last month.
They were handed over to the state government officials today, a day after military authorities secured their release.
The children – many wearing football jerseys and girls in long robes – were driven into the Niger State Government House in white buses escorted by a dozen military vans and armoured vehicles.
Welcome,” state governor Umar Bago said as he shook hands with some of the children and led them into a hall where the emir and local officials were seated to receive them.
According to a list of the released children seen by AFP, most of those freed are aged between 10 and 17 years.
The release of the students, who were kidnapped two weeks ago, was facilitated by the federal government last night.
News
NYSC warns against night travel as 2026 Batch B Stream I orientation begins June 10
The orientation exercise will officially end on Tuesday, June 30, 2026.
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) announced Thursday that the 2026 Batch ‘B’ Stream I Orientation Course will begin on Wednesday, June 10, 2026, with the reception and registration of prospective corps members across the country.
In a statement signed by Caroline Embu, Director, Information and Public Relations, NYSC said that the registration would end at midnight on Friday, June 12, in all 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.
The NYSC added that the swearing-in ceremony for prospective corps members mobilised for the 2026 Batch ‘B’ Stream I service year would also take place on Friday, June 12.
The orientation exercise will officially end on Tuesday, June 30, 2026.
The scheme wished all mobilised Nigerian graduates safe journeys to their various orientation camps nationwide and reiterated its warning against night travel.
It advised prospective corps members to suspend their journeys once it is 6pm and spend the night at any available corps members’ lodge, military formation, police station, outpost, or palace of a traditional ruler before continuing the next morning.
News
President Tinubu appoints 40 years old Prof Aina as JAMB Registrar
Prof Aina will succeed Prof Is-haq Oloyede, whose two-term tenure expires on July 31, 2026.
•Prof Segun Aina
President Bola Tinubu has appointed Professor Segun Aina as the new registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
Prof Aina will succeed Professor Is-haq Oloyede, whose two-term tenure expires on July 31, 2026.
Professor Aina, who will be 40 in July, is a distinguished academic and systems expert with extensive experience in national examination systems, digital infrastructure, and public-sector institutional reform.
A statement by the presidential spokesman, Bayo Onanuga, stated that “President Tinubu expects Professor Aina to bring to bear his vast experience, knowledge and practical insight into the operations of the Board to take the critical educational organisation beyond the laudable heights achieved by his predecessor.”
A professor of computer engineering at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Aina began his career with JAMB during his National Youth Service, gaining foundational experience in national admissions and data-driven institutional processes.
These insights have shaped his ongoing contributions to examination reform and systems optimisation.
News
Nigeria now produces 10,000 passports per hour
In an address during the International Civil Service Conference 2026 in Abuja, the minister said that the reform has transformed passport production from a slow, manual and fragmented process into a system driven by automation, integration and efficiency.
Photo: Minister of Interior, Olatunji Olubunmi-Ojo
Minister of Interior, Olatunji Olubunmi-Ojo, said that Nigeria can now produce “nothing less than 10,000 passports per hour.”
The minister attributes the passport production fest to the establishment of a world-class centralised personalisation centre in Abuja, a development he described as the first of its kind since 1963.
In an address during the International Civil Service Conference 2026 in Abuja, the minister said that the reform has transformed passport production from a slow, manual and fragmented process into a system driven by automation, integration and efficiency.
“For the first time since 1963, we have a world-class centralised personalisation centre in Abuja,” said Olubunmi-Ojo.
“And what that means is that from a system that could do 400 or 500 passports per hour, all over the world, we could barely do three, four thousand a day or per hour.
Today, we are in a position to do nothing less than 10,000 passports per hour with a centralised level of control.”
He said the nder the new arrangement, stressing that the innovation marks a major shift in the management of internal security services and public administration.
-
Politics3 days agoObi emerges NDC’s sole presidential aspirant
-
Crime2 days agoBREAKING: EFCC Nabs Convicted Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman After Years on The Run
-
Sports3 days agoGuardiola debunks Man City exit report
-
International3 days agoAfghan fathers forced to selling children to survive
-
Sports3 days agoGuardiola ends 10-year Manchester City reign
-
Business1 day agoFemi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
-
International3 days agoKenyan transport operators suspend strike for one-week to allow talks
-
Sports2 days agoAFCON 2027 qualifiers: Nigeria to face Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau
