Crime
Village Head, 49 Others Kidnapped In Rijau Local Government Area of Niger State
Suspected armed bandits have attacked and kidnapped the village head of Fugge community in the Rijau Local Government Area of Niger State, Mallam Abdullahi Zaure and 49 others.
An eyewitness in the community said most of those abducted during the last Friday attack were women, and children, while few of them were males, while castles were also rustled.
It was gathered that the terrorists invaded the village on several motorcycles and started shooting into the air to scare the villagers in broad daylight, while efforts to contact the Niger State Police Public Relations Officer, Wasiu Abiodun proved abortive as his phone line didn’t go through.
In a text forwarded to him, Abiodun promised to make enquiries and provide details. The police spokesman however failed to do so as of the time of filing this report.
Gunmen have been wreaking havoc on Niger and other states in the North-West and North-Central regions despite the efforts of security agencies and the Federal Government to tackle the menace.
Abductions for ransom and intercommunal attacks have been on the rise again in the last few weeks after a brief calm period during February and March elections for the presidency and governorship posts.
Just last week, nine people, including a local chief, in Idon Gida community in nearby Kajuru district of Kaduna State, according to local sources.
Bandits burst into the Christian village around 8pm, taking away seven women and two men, residents said.
Mass kidnappings and bandit gangs in the northwest are just one of several security challenges facing president-elect Bola Tinubu when he takes the helm of Africa’s most populous nation later this month.
Nigeria’s military is also battling a grinding jihadist conflict in the northeast that has killed 40,000 since 2009 as well as simmering separatist tensions in the southeast of the country, where gunmen often target police.
Crime
NDLEA destroys illicit drugs valued at N301bn in Lagos
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) on Monday publicly destroyed 329,865.585 kilograms of assorted illicit drugs with an estimated street value of N301,058,076,000 in a court-ordered exercise in Lagos.
The destruction, carried out at Navy Town in Ojo pursuant to orders of the Federal High Court, Lagos Judicial Division, covered uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. Of the total, 246,864.535 kg were seized by the Lagos Strategic Command between April 2025 and May 2026, while 83,001.05 kg came from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit, all operating in Lagos.
The consignment included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, various strains of cannabis (including Canadian Loud and skunk), ephedrine, tramadol, codeine syrup and other opioids, as well as khat leaf.
NDLEA Chairman/Chief Executive Officer Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (rtd) described the exercise as a bold demonstration of Nigeria’s resolve to protect its people and deny criminal enterprises the resources they need to thrive.
“Behind every kilogram of narcotics destroyed lies a story of a young life at risk, a family torn apart by addiction, and communities endangered by drug-related crime and impaired driving,” Marwa said. He stressed that illicit drugs weaken the labour force, raise healthcare costs, discourage investment and drain public resources that should go into education, healthcare and infrastructure.
Marwa linked the drug trade to broader security challenges, noting that trafficking helps fund organised crime, terrorism and violent extremism. He thanked President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for strategic support, and acknowledged partnership with the judiciary, Lagos State Government, the military, sister security agencies, international partners, civil society, traditional institutions, the media and the public.
Issuing a stern warning to drug barons, traffickers, financiers, distributors and dealers, Marwa declared: “Wherever you hide, whoever sponsors you and however sophisticated your network may be, the long arm of the law will reach you.” He vowed that the agency remains resolute in dismantling every criminal network and its financial spine, and called on parents, schools, religious and traditional leaders, and the media to join the fight.
Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by Secretary to the State Government Mrs Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, said the scale of the destruction — about 300 tons — was both a sobering reminder of the threat illicit drugs pose and a testament to what is possible when law enforcement, the judiciary and government work together.
“Lagos State is unwavering in its resolve to confront drug abuse and trafficking, and we will not relent,” the governor’s representative stated.
Comptroller-General of Customs Bashir Adewale Adeniyi said the NDLEA deserved the accolades it has received, noting that the haul from seaports, airports and land borders sent a strong message that drug dealers are no longer welcome in Nigeria. He linked the drug trade to the funding of bandits, kidnappers, armed robbers, insurgents and terrorists, describing narcotics as the “oxygen” of violent non-state actors.
Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, assured continued naval support for NDLEA-coordinated drug control efforts.
Crime
SITREP: Rival Cult Groups Clash on Freedom Way Near the Dome, Sparking Chaos
An ongoing fracas allegedly involving rival cult groups has erupted on Freedom Way near the Dome, at Lekki Phase 1 Lagos, with reports of widespread mayhem.
Motorists have abandoned their vehicles on the road and fled the area as the confrontation intensifies.
A minimal police presence is on site attempting to restore order.
Authorities and local sources advise residents to avoid the area if possible and delay non-essential travel until the situation stabilizes.
Fleeing individuals from the groups have also been using a bush path at the end of the driveway leading onto Freedom Way, prompting calls for heightened security awareness when exiting nearby lanes.
Residents are urged to remain cautious until the disturbance fully subsides.
Crime
UK court jails Congolese for murder of Nigerian
After the killing, Katabana activated the building’s fire alarm and walked to Bethel Street Police Station, where he surrendered to officers.
• The killer (Left) Benjamin Katabana; The victim (right), Uchenna Okirie. Photo Credit: Norfolk ConstabularyCCTV footage.
A 28-year-old Congolese national has been sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 20 years for the murder of his Nigerian roommate in Norwich, United Kingdom.
BBC reported on Tuesday that Benjamin Katabana was convicted of the murder of 33-year-old Uchenna Okirie, a former University of East Anglia economics student, after luring him into the communal corridor of their shared accommodation with WhatsApp messages.
The attack happened at Somerleyton House on Somerleyton Street, Norwich, on November 22.
According to Norfolk Constabulary, Okirie, popularly known as Uche, was using his phone when Katabana attacked him with a knife.
Katabana initially stabbed Okirie once before repeatedly attacking him and kicking him in the head while he lay on the floor.Okirie was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 6am.
A post-mortem examination found that he died from a stab wound to the chest.
After the killing, Katabana activated the building’s fire alarm and walked to Bethel Street Police Station, where he surrendered to officers.
He reportedly told police: “I have killed someone, I think.”
-
Politics10 hours agoKebbi Governor picks new running mate , Ibrahim Augie
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: First Results Emerge as Voting Ends, Collation Begins at Polling Units
-
Politics2 days ago(UPDATED) #OsunDecides2026: INEC Uploads 3,119 of 3,763 Polling Unit Results as Collation Continues
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: Adeleke Urges Tinubu to Protect Votes During Collation
-
Politics11 hours agoOsun poll: ADC’s Salaam, Tambuwal Hail Adeleke for Second Term Win
-
News8 hours agoEdo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns Amid Impeachment Plot (Video)
-
Politics1 day agoBREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Poll: Youths Accuse APC of Vote-Buying in Ejigbo (Video)
