News
Food Security: Ekiti set up storage facilities for bumper harvest
The Ekiti State government has set up storage facilities in different parts of the state, with the sole aim of buying farm produce from farmers during harvest season and storing them for release during period of scarcity.
This ccomes with a move to ensuring food sufficiency and availability in the state.
The State Governor, Mr Biodun Oyebanji, who on Monday led some officials on inspection of one of the storage facilities for agricultural produce in Ado- Ekiti, said building the storage facilities is one of the government’s plans to avert the food scarcity that was experienced in the state last year.
Governor Oyebanji said government’s immediate focus is to address food shortage, reduce post-harvest losses and ensure food sufficiency all year round across the state.
Speaking with Journalists shortly after the inspection, Governor Oyebanji who was accompanied on the inspection by his Chief of Staff, Mr Niyi Adebayo, Commissioner for Agriculture and Food Security, Mr Boluwade Ebenezer, Commissioner for Trade, investment and cooperatives, Mrs Tayo Adeola, said the initiative was in line with the directive of President Bola Tinubu to the State Governors to prioritize food security as critical step in combating hunger across the country.
The Governor, explained that the state cultivated over 6,000 hectares of farmland in 2024, adding that the warehouse for storing food crops was a major challenge, hence the decision of his administration to provide storage facilities this year.
The facilities, according the Governor would help in regulating prices of food items in the eventuality of food scarcity.
While expressing his delight that a large chunk of the farm produce were bought from young farmers under the Bring Back Youth in Agriculture programme , the Governor assured that his administration remains committed to alleviating hunger and achieving food security in the state.
“We promised Ekiti State good governance and like you said we have been trying to work that talk. The President directed that each state should embark on strategy of food security and in Ekiti State in the last one year, we have started with phase one of a very deliberate attempt to ensure that we prow ourselves out of hunger, last year we cumulatively cultivated over 6,000 hectares of land in the state, all planted.
“Going forward, we want to ensure that, those crops that we buy from the youth, store them there and we will release to the market when there is increase in prices of food so that we can moderate prices”. The Governor stated .
In his own remarks, the Commissioner for Agriculture and food security, Mr Ebenezer Boluwade said that the goal is not only to tackle hunger but to also create opportunities for youth in agriculture.
While explaining that the initiative would ensure steady food supply throughout the year, Mr Boluwade said government would encourage farmers, particularly the youths in agriculture to increase production, knowing that their produce would not go to waste and government is willing and ready to buy from them.
News
Ogun Orders Temporary Suspension of Lead Ingot Exports, Shuts Seven Plants
The Ogun State Government has called for an immediate, temporary suspension of lead ingot exportation pending a full investigation into alleged lead contamination in the Ogijo area of Sagamu Local Government.
This position followed an on-the-spot inspection in Ogijo after a viral video raised concerns about possible lead poisoning in the community. The Commissioner for Environment, Ola Oresanya, led a combined team of experts from the Ministries of Environment and Health, the Ogun State Environmental Protection Agency (OGEPA), and the National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA).

During the visit, the government ordered the closure of seven industries involved in Used Lead-Acid Battery recycling within the Ogijo axis.
Oresanya assured residents that there is no cause for panic, noting that the state will immediately commence a comprehensive Health and Process Audit of the affected facilities. This will include testing for lead levels in humans, soil, air, and water sources across the industrial community.
He added that the government will make the findings public once the investigation is completed, while also reviewing the methodology used in the earlier test results circulated in the media.
News
Insecurity: Lagos Will Remain Peaceful, says Sanwo-Olu
At the routine meeting, which was chaired by Mr Sanwo-Olu, were the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 9 Brigade, Brig.-Gen. A.O. Owolabi, Group Capt. M.A. Imam, Commander 651 BSG, Nigerian Air Force, Commander NNS Beecroft Naval Base, Apapa, Commodore PP Nimmyel, Commissioner of Police Olohundare Moshood, representative of the Department State Services Director, A.B. Alade…
Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu assures that the State will remain peaceful for residents and all visitors amidst the insecurity across the nation.
Sanwo- Olu gave the assurance on Thursday during a meeting of the Security Council.
In a statement, Gbenga Omotoso HC (Information & Strategy, disclosed that the state’s security Council, which comprises heads of Security agencies in the state, met at the State House, Marina.
At the routine meeting, which was chaired by Mr Sanwo-Olu, were the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 9 Brigade, Brig.-Gen. A.O. Owolabi, Group Capt. M.A. Imam, Commander 651 BSG, Nigerian Air Force, Commander NNS Beecroft Naval Base, Apapa, Commodore PP Nimmyel, Commissioner of Police Olohundare Moshood, representative of the Department State Services Director, A.B. Alade, Secretary to the State Government Barr. Abimbola Salu-Hundeyin, Chief of Staff to the Governor Tayo Ayinde, Chief Security Officer to the Governor CSP Fagbemi Adekunle, and Lagos State Security Trust Fund (LSSTF) Executive Secretary Ayo Ogunsan.
After being briefed by the security chiefs, Governor Sanwo- Olu expressed satisfaction with their reports and assured all Lagosians and visitors that the Yuletide will truly be a season of goodwill.
News
Police, PSC set up committee to recruit 30,000 new officers
The primary mandate of the Joint Ad-hoc Committee is to collaborate and brainstorm on creating a seamless, transparent, and efficient recruitment process.
• Police IGP, Kayode Egbetokun
The Police Service Commission (PSC) and the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) have set up a high-powered joint Ad-hoc Committee to drive the immediate commencement of the recruitment of 30,000 new officers.
The PSC disclosed this in a statement on Thursday, following the inauguration of the Ad-hoc Committee on Wednesday, 26th November, 2025 by the Chairman, Police Service Commission DIG Hashimu Salihu Argungu (rtd) at the Police Service Commission Corporate Headquarters, Jabi, Abuja.
The establishment of the committee followed the presidential directive to bolster the numerical strength of the NPF and enhance national security.
The primary mandate of the Joint Ad-hoc Committee is to collaborate and brainstorm on creating a seamless, transparent, and efficient recruitment process.
It added that the committee will work to ensure the exercise is conducted with the highest standards of integrity and merit.
-
News2 days agoPolice, PSC set up committee to recruit 30,000 new officers
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Prominent Islamic Scholar, Islamic scholar, Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi, dies at 102
-
News3 days agoPresident Tinubu Okays Creation of State Police
-
News3 days agoFG Commissions Model Veterinary Hospital, Mobile Clinic in Adamawa (Photos)
-
News3 days agoCOAS Advocates Battle-Hardened Training For NDA Officers to Meet Modern Warfare Realities
-
News3 days agoLutheran General Church council decries worsening Nigeria’s insecurity
-
News3 days agoGoodluck Jonathan, other African leaders trapped in Guinea-Bissau after military coup
-
News2 days agoUS-Nigeria Security Joint Working Group (Full List)
