Business
FG Takes Full Control of Keystone Bank
The takeover will enhance its stability and facilitate a smooth recapitalisation process

Keystone Bank has confirmed that it is now fully owned by the Federal Government of Nigeria, stating that the takeover will enhance its stability and facilitate a smooth recapitalisation process.
The bank disclosed this in a statement on its Instagram page on Tuesday evening, following a ruling by the Lagos State High Court, Ikeja.
The court ordered the forfeiture of shares previously held by the bank’s former shareholders, effectively transferring ownership to the Federal Government
.“Keystone Bank Limited wishes to clarify the media report on a judgment by the Lagos State Special Offences Court, sitting in Ikeja, Lagos, on Tuesday, February 11, 2025, regarding the status of the former shareholders of the bank: Sigma Golf Nigeria Limited and Alhaji Umaru H. Modibbo,” said the statement.
“At the court sitting on February 11, 2025, the court ordered the forfeiture of the bank’s shares previously held by these shareholders in favour of the Federal Government of Nigeria, ” it said.
Business
Nigeria and UNIDO Earmark $174.6 million for Industrial Projects
Donor nations, including Japan and Germany, reaffirmed their support for Nigeria’s industrialisation vision.

∆ President Bola Tinubu
The Federal Government of Nigeria, and the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO),have earmarked a total of $174.6 million budget for the implementation of the Programme for Country Partnership (PCP).
At the signing ceremony, Senator John Owan Enoh, Minister of State for Industry, signed on behalf of the government of Nigeria , while UNIDO Director-General, Mr. Gerd Müller, appended for the organization.
The ceremony brought together government officials, private sector leaders, diplomatic representatives, and development partners from across the globe. Donor nations, including Japan and Germany, reaffirmed their support for Nigeria’s industrialisation vision.
Senator Enoh highlighted the alignment of the PCP with Nigeria’s economic reform agenda under the leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, emphasising that the partnership aimed to reduce reliance on primary exports and foster a thriving manufacturing sector.
Enoh said, “The PCP signifies a new era of industrial cooperation built on trust, shared vision, and actionable strategies.
Through this initiative, we will tackle systemic bottlenecks, revitalise key industries, and attract private sector investments.”He added that a key element aligned to the PCP is the establishment of the Industrial Revitalization Working Group (IRWG), a high-level platform for accelerating industrial reforms.
The PCP’s thematic focus areas—agro-industrial transformation, SME development, digital innovation, and green transition—align with the IRWG’s objectives to drive economic growth and sustainability.With the PCP now underway, Nigeria stands at the threshold of a new industrial era, ready to unlock opportunities, attract investments, and lead Africa’s industrial renaissance.
Senator Abubakar Atiku Bagudu, Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, affirmed the government’s dedication to implementing the PCP with a $174.6 million budget.
The Nigerian government has committed 14.3% in counterpart funding, with UNIDO mobilising the rema”nder through partnerships and donor contributions.
“The PCP is a vital catalyst for job creation, skill development, and technological advancement in line with our National Development Plan,” Bagudu said.
Gerd Muller , lauded the partnership as a historic milestone in the long-standing collaboration between Nigeria and the organisation and reiterated UNIDO’s commitment to providing technical expertise, policy guidance, and investment facilitation to ensure the programme’s success.
Amb. Nura Abba Rimi, Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade, and Investment, expressed gratitude to all stakeholders.
“The journey ahead demands collaboration and resilience as we move from potential to productivity,” Rimi said.
Business
Trump slams 14% reciprocal tariffs on Nigeria
The 14 percent tariffs imposed on Nigeria, according to Trump, is against 27 percent charged to the US by Nigeria.

US President Donald Trump has slammed a 14 percent reciprocal tariff on all Nigerian goods entering the US as the much talked about “Liberation Day” tariffs comes into effect.
Trump had said that countries would face a tariff rate at half the level they charge the US, as deemed by the White House, with a minimum tariff rate of 10 percent, saying that the calculation included non-monetary trade barriers and currency manipulation.
The 14 percent tariffs imposed on Nigeria, according to Trump, is against 27 percent charged to the US by Nigeria.
The new tariffs, which affected 185 countries, has therefore, ended months of anxious wait and uncertainty, which had plummeted stocks around the US, Europe and Asian markets.
The moves today are the latest escalation of a trade war that also includes plans to impose 25 percent tariffs on all foreign-made vehicles this week.
Accordingly, Trump slammed a baseline tariff of 10 percent across all countries, while upping the duties for various partners whom he described as bad actors with country like Lesotho getting as much as 50 percent levies on their exports to America.
The tariffs will be not a full reciprocal,” he said. “I could have done that, yes, but it would have been tough for a lot of countries who didn’t want to do that.”Auto tariffs of 25 percent will go into effect tomorrow as planned.
Business
Algiers-Abuja direct flights begin April 6

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday, announced the launch of Air Algérie’s inaugural direct flight service from Algiers to Abuja, set to begin on April 6, 2025.
This is said to strengthen the diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria and Algeria.
According to a statement signed by the Acting Spokesperson for the Ministry, Kimiebi Ebienfa, the new route, which is the result of the Bilateral Air Services Agreement between the two countries, will be operated by the national carrier, Air Algérie, using a Boeing 737 aircraft.
This new service is expected to boost connectivity, encourage tourism, and facilitate trade and investment between Nigeria and Algeria.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is pleased to announce the commencement of Air Algerie’s inaugural direct flight service from Algiers to Abuja, scheduled for 6th April 2025.
“This historic development marks a significant milestone in the growing diplomatic and economic relations between Nigeria and Algeria.
“It is pertinent to state that it is the implementation of the Bilateral Air Services Agreement between both countries, which culminated in this successful venture,” the statement read in part.
The inaugural flight is expected to carry the Charge d’Affaires of the Nigerian Embassy in Algiers, Nigerian community leaders, and representatives from the Algerian government.
The Federal Government has extended congratulations to Air Algérie and offered its full support to ensure the success of the new service.
With affordable fares and Algeria’s proximity to Europe, the flight also offers Nigerians a convenient gateway to Europe, enhancing Nigeria’s position as a regional hub for business, tourism, and transit.
The statement added, “The Federal Government of Nigeria, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and relevant aviation authorities, extends its warm congratulations to Air Algerie and assures all necessary support to ensure the success and sustainability of this new service.
“We believe this initiative will further strengthen the longstanding friendship between Nigeria and Algeria, while opening new opportunities for mutual growth.
“The affordable fare structure and the proximity of Algeria to Europe would also provide Nigerians with a convenient gateway to Europe, thereby enhancing Nigeria’s position as a regional hub for business, tourism, and transit.”
The ministry encouraged citizens and businesses to take advantage of this new connectivity to explore opportunities for trade, tourism and cultural exchanges between the two nations.
-
Sports3 days ago
UPDATE: How bankruptcy led Nigerian boxer to death in Ghana – NBBofC
-
News2 days ago
Kogi State enforces ban on rallies, public gatherings amidst riding security concerns
-
News2 days ago
President Tinubu congratulates Jim Ovia on admission to the freedom of the city of London
-
News3 days ago
JUST IN: FG to shut Lagos’ Independence Bridge for two months
-
Politics1 day ago
I would have handled economy better than Tinubu – Obi
-
Sports1 day ago
NTTF U-12 National Hopes Week kicks off today in Lagos
-
Business1 day ago
Women make up 15% of 288 new billionaires in 2025
-
News1 day ago
BREAKING: Tinubu Sacks NNPCL Board , Replaces Mele Kyari with Bashir Ojulari as Group CEO