Connect with us

Crime

FBI, DEA seek 90-day extension to release Tinubu’s records

Published

on

275 Views

The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Drug Enforcement Administration have requested a 90-day extension from a United States District Court to produce documents relating to an alleged drug investigation involving President Bola Tinubu dating back to the 1990s.

The request was submitted on Thursday in a joint status report filed with the US District Court for the District of Columbia.

The case stems from a series of Freedom of Information Act requests by an American legal transparency advocate and founder of the platform PlainSite, Aaron Greenspan.

Greenspan is seeking the release of records connected to a Chicago-based drug ring and has named Tinubu along with three other individuals: Lee Andrew Edwards, Mueez Abegboyega Akande, and Abiodun Agbele.

The court, presided over by Judge Beryl Howell, had earlier ordered the FBI and DEA to provide a status update on the search and release of non-exempt documents by May 2, 2025.

However, in the latest filing, both agencies said they needed more time to complete their searches.

The report reads, “Aaron Greenspan (“Plaintiff”) and Defendants Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the only remaining defendants in this case, respectfully submit the following joint status report proposing a schedule to govern further proceedings, pursuant to the Court’s Order of April 8, 2025 (ECF No. 47).

“Pursuant to the court’s order, the defendants, FBI and DEA must search for and produce non-exempt records responsive to the plaintiff’s FOIA requests (FBI Requests Nos. 1588244-000 and 1593615- 000, and DEA Request Nos. 22-00892-F and 24-00201-F).

“The FBI and DEA have initiated their searches for responsive, non-exempt, reasonably segregable portions of records requested by the plaintiff and anticipate completing their searches in ninety days.

”Greenspan opposed the delay, arguing that the agencies had already delayed the process for years and that some documents had already been identified.He proposed a much shorter deadline.

“Given the years-long delay already caused by the defendants and the fact that many responsive documents have already been identified, the plaintiff proposes that the FBI and DEA complete their searches and productions by next week, or, at the very least, produce unredacted versions of the already-identified documents by next week, with the remainder completed in 14 days.

The defendants provide no rationale for why their search for documents should take 90 days.

“The FBI and DEA have initiated their searches for responsive, non-exempt, reasonably segregable portions of records requested by the plaintiff and anticipate completing their searches in ninety days,” Greenspan said.

The FOIA requests, filed between 2022 and 2023, sought records from multiple federal agencies.

Initially, the FBI and DEA issued “Glomar responses,” refusing to confirm or deny the existence of relevant records.

The court later deemed this response inappropriate, ordering the agencies to proceed with full or partial disclosures where applicable.

Greenspan is also seeking reimbursement of $440.22 in filing and mailing costs.

The two sides remain at odds over when the next joint status report should be filed.

While the agencies proposed July 31, Greenspan urged the court to set the deadline for May 31, 2025.

“The plaintiff intends to request reimbursement for his costs: the filing fee of $402.00 and $38.22 for certified mail postage, totalling $440.22.

“The defendants propose that the parties submit a joint status report on or before July 31, 2025 to update the Court on the case status following the agencies’ search for responsive, non-exempt, reasonably segregable records requested by the plaintiff.

The plaintiff proposes that they submit a joint status report on or before May 31, 2025,” the report added.

Crime

Delta APC Congress: Ibori’s Daughter Escapes Assassination Bid as Thugs Invade Ethiope West Venue

Published

on

2 Views

Tension escalated during the All Progressives Congress (APC) Local Government Congress in Ethiope West Local Government Area on Saturday when violence erupted, forcing Hon. Erhiatake Ibori-Suenu, the member representing Ethiope Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives and daughter of former Delta State Governor James Ibori, to flee under heavy security in what her supporters and aides described as a targeted assassination attempt.

The congress, originally slated for Oghara Township Stadium but relocated to Ovade Primary School, was underway with delegate accreditation and consultations when suspected hoodlums—armed with cutlasses, guns, and other dangerous weapons—stormed the venue. Eyewitnesses reported that the attackers caused widespread panic, injuring several supporters of the federal lawmaker and blocking access to the site, which disrupted the process of electing party executives.

Hon. Ibori-Suenu arrived at the new venue amid heightened tensions within party factions. Reports indicate that her supporters were attacked as they attempted to participate, with some alleging intimidation aimed at suppressing her group’s involvement. She reportedly escaped unhurt thanks to her security detail, while multiple delegates sustained injuries during the chaos.

The incident has been attributed by some sources to internal party rivalries, with claims of sponsorship by opposing political figures, though these remain unverified allegations.

The Delta State APC has denied reports of violence or any attack on Ibori-Suenu, dismissing them as media sensationalism and emphasizing overall party unity following the congress exercises across the state.

No official police statement on arrests or investigations has been released yet, but the event has raised fresh concerns about political violence ahead of future electoral processes in the region.

Continue Reading

Crime

NDLEA Busts Woman with Fake Pregnancy Concealing Tramadol (Photos)

Published

on

4 Views

As Ivorian Excretes 82 Cocaine Wraps at Kano Airport.

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has uncovered creative and high-stakes drug smuggling attempts across Nigeria, including a woman using a fake baby bump made from a calabash to hide thousands of tramadol capsules and an Ivorian national who ingested cocaine pellets for export to Europe.

In one bizarre case at the Seme land border in Lagos State on February 16, operatives intercepted 35-year-old Kano businesswoman Rabi Muhammad attempting to cross into Cotonou, Benin Republic. Suspicion arose from her prominently protruding abdomen.

A full body search revealed the “pregnancy” was fabricated — she had tied a pink-coloured calabash around her stomach to conceal 3,200 capsules of tramadol destined for sale abroad.

On the same day at Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport (MAKIA), NDLEA officers detained 41-year-old Ivorian Michael Gohouri (alias Anunwa Onyinye Michael) during outbound clearance for an Ethiopian Airlines flight to Milan, Italy, via Addis Ababa. A body scan confirmed ingestion of narcotics. Under medical observation, he excreted 82 wraps of cocaine weighing 1.49 kilograms. The suspect, who arrived in Lagos from Milan in mid-January and shuttled between cities before loading the drugs in a Kano hotel, reportedly stood to earn €5,000 upon delivery. He holds an Italian resident permit and a Nigerian NIN under his alias.

In a significant hit against organized trafficking, NDLEA arrested Kolapo Oladapo Raji, 57, Chairman and CEO of real estate firm Trans Fortress Global Resources. Placed on the agency’s watchlist in 2025, Raji was nabbed at his Ikate, Lekki residence in Lagos on February 12 following surveillance after a UK trip. Searches recovered 89.20 kilograms of Canadian Loud cannabis in four large bags and a 2024 Toyota Hilux. Raji admitted entering the trade via financing for an overseas contact, with profits prompting him to build his own network.

Additional seizures and arrests occurred nationwide:

  • Lagos: 56kg skunk from Ugwuja Kingsley in Agbara (February 19) and 76kg from Ekwe Arinze in Oshodi (February 17).
  • Rivers State (Onne Port): 170,900 bottles of codeine syrup in a container, uncovered via joint intelligence-led inspection.
  • Kogi State: 7,300 tramadol 225mg pills hidden in sound systems on a Lagos-Kano bus (February 15), leading to arrests of Ezenma Kingsley (26) and Ezeja Anthony (29) in Abuja (February 17).
  • Ondo State: 195kg and 198kg skunk from suspects in forest raids (February 19).
  • Bauchi State: 936kg skunk from Yahaya Adamu Gimba (48) in Azare, plus 85.8kg from him and three accomplices (February 17).
  • Delta State: 37kg skunk in Ughelli (February 17).
  • Edo State: Destruction of over 1,266kg skunk on three farms in Owan West, with 23kg processed cannabis recovered; arrests including 68-year-old grandmother Evelyn Ogenewu and Friday Iruoje (43) (February 17).

NDLEA Chairman Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) praised operatives from MAKIA, Seme, Lagos, Edo, Bauchi, Port Harcourt Ports, Ondo, Delta, and Kogi commands for their successes. He emphasized the agency’s dual focus on supply reduction through enforcement and demand reduction via War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization in schools and communities nationwide.

The update was released by Femi Babafemi, Director of Media & Advocacy, NDLEA Headquarters, Abuja, on Sunday, February 22, 2026.

Continue Reading

Crime

Court Adjourns Malami, Son’s Trial to Feb 27 Over FCT Public Holiday

Published

on

19 Views

The Federal High Court in Abuja has adjourned the ongoing trial of former Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), and his son, Abdulaziz Malami, to February 27, 2026.

The adjournment was announced on Friday by Justice Joyce Abdulmalik during proceedings in the case instituted by the Department of State Services (DSS), also known as the State Security Service.

The case, which involves allegations including terrorism financing and unlawful possession of firearms, could not proceed as scheduled due to a public holiday declared by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike. The holiday was proclaimed ahead of the scheduled area council elections in the FCT set for the following day.

Following the declaration, the court ordered that the defendants remain remanded in the custody of the DSS pending the next hearing date.

Malami and his son had earlier pleaded not guilty to the five-count charge when they were arraigned before the same judge. The matter had previously been adjourned to February 20 for consideration of bail applications and the potential commencement of trial.

This development marks another delay in the high-profile legal proceedings against the former chief law officer of Nigeria and his son. The case continues to draw significant public attention amid broader anti-corruption and security-related probes in the country.

The court is expected to reconvene on February 27 for further proceedings.

Continue Reading

Trending