News
2025 May Day: Kogi Governor, Ododo approves one year additional tax holiday for Workers among other benefits
Kogi State Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Usman Ododo has approved another one year tax holiday for the state work force in addition to the one year tax relief earlier approved last Year.
Governor Ododo made the pronouncement on Thursday at the Muhammadu Buhari Civic Center, Lokoja to mark the twenty twenty five May Day celebration.

The Governor said the one year tax moratorium was in addition to the one year earlier approved on approval and implementation of the new national minimum wage to cushion the harsh economic effects facing workers.

Additionally, the Governor also approved an extension of retirement age of health professionals from Sixty to sixty five years or thirty five to forty years as length of service.
Also, Governor Ododo approved the immediate provision of potable water for the Comrade Onuh Edoka Labour House for the use of the workers and the residents in the environs.
He acknowledged the contributions of the workers to the development of Kogi State, saying that a responsive government would accord priority to the welfare of workers, explaining however that the enormous demands of the organized Labour could not be met at once due to economic difficulties.

Governor Ododo assured that his administration would continue to accord necessary attention to the welfare of workers who serve as engine room of government, emphasizing that Pensioners will also be carried along as well.as education and youth and women empowerment among others.
“Our three state owned Universities are thriving and progressing steadily, and we are happy that they have met the necessary standards and will produce manpower that will compete favourably with their counterparts across the world and our assignment is to serve humanity”, the Governor stated.
The Governor also disclosed that government has been consistent in the release of one hundred and five million naira monthly as gratuity to local government retirees, this he said, was to keep his promises to the people.
Earlier, the State Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Comrade Gabriel Amari expressed appreciation to the Governor for the much he has done so far, saying the organized Labour was grateful, but however urged the government to look critically into their demands with a view to giving workers more hope.

The State Head of Service, Doctor Elijah Evinemi in his speech, noted that the present administration has placed workers welfare at the front burner and urged workers to reciprocate the gesture by being dedicated to their duties.

In his speech, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Labour matters, Comrade Onuh Edoka said Governor Ahmed Usman Ododo was the first to approve and implement the new national minimum wage which has been acknowledged by the leadership of Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC in the Country.
Comrade Edoka commended the Governor for his courage at appointing labour leaders into key positions under his administration and assured that workers would reciprocate at the right time,
News
US Nigeria military eliminate more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters in latest airstrike
Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated.
• US President Donald Trump
The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) said Monday the U.S. and Nigerian forces carried out further strikes on ISIS targets on May 17, 2026 and eliminated more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters in Nigeria’s North-East region.
In a statement posted on its official X handle on Monday, the combatant command said that the latest operation comes three days after had eliminated a senior ISIS commander and one of the world’s most wanted terrorists, Abu Bilal al-Minuki, during an operation conducted on Friday.
The statement reads:“On May 17, 2026, U.S. Africa Command, in coordination with the Government of Nigeria, conducted additional kinetic strikes against ISIS in Northeastern Nigeria.
“Intelligence confirmed the targets were ISIS militants. Complete assessments are ongoing. No U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed.
“The removal of these terrorists diminishes the group’s capacity to plan attacks that threaten the safety and security of the U.S. and our partners.”
AFRICOM added that it remains committed to deploying specialised U.S. capabilities in support of partner nations to counter shared security threats and degrade terrorist networks operating across the region.
The Director Defence Information (DDI), Maj.-Gen. Samaila Uba, added that the multiple air strikes followed observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements, resulting in the elimination of more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation.
Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated.
“There will be no haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria” the statement said.
News
JUST IN: Court Grants Nasir El-Rufai N100m Bail Over Alleged National Security Breach
The Federal High Court in Abuja has granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, in the sum of N100 million with one surety in like sum.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik handed down the ruling on Monday in the case filed by the Department of State Services (DSS), which is prosecuting El-Rufai for alleged breach of national security.
The former governor had publicly admitted on national television to wiretapping the office of the National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
While granting the bail application, Justice Abdulmalik imposed stringent conditions for its perfection. The proposed surety must:
- Reside in either Maitama or Asokoro, Abuja, and deposit the original Certificate of Occupancy of a landed property with the court registry.
- Be a federal civil servant on Grade Level 17 or above.
- Submit proof of salary payments for the past three months, supported by an authentication letter from the branch bank manager within the court’s jurisdiction.
- Swear to an affidavit of means, sign a bail bond, and provide a recent passport photograph.
Additionally, El-Rufai must surrender all his valid passports to the court. The surety is also required to provide a verification letter from his immediate department and a tax clearance certificate for the last six months.
The court further directed El-Rufai to submit a letter of attestation from the Chairman of the Kaduna State Traditional Council.
As part of the bail conditions, the former governor must report to the DSS headquarters on the last Friday of every month by 10 a.m. to sign the attendance register until the determination of the case.
Justice Abdulmalik warned that any violation of these conditions would result in the immediate revocation of the bail. The court also ordered an accelerated hearing of the matter.
News
Abu-Bilal al-Minuki: Deadly But Harmless Looking – Poison Dart Frog
Positions that used to be dominated by Syrian and Iraqis in the top echelons of the Islamic State leadership are now filled by African veteran jihadists from all over the continent.
Abu Bilal al-Mainuki was elevated to the position of head of the Islamic State General Directorate of Provinces, replacing Abdul Qadir Mumin (Somali national) only three months ago in February 2026.
This placed him as the second in charge of the Islamic State global organization right after the Caliph Abu Hafs al-Hashimi.
Positions that used to be dominated by Syrian and Iraqis in the top echelons of the Islamic State leadership are now filled by African veteran jihadists from all over the continent.
Before February 2026, Abu Bilal al-Mainuki was head of the al-Furqan regional office which oversees the Sahelian, Libyan and West African Provinces.
Before that he was second-in-command to Abu Musab al-Barnawi, he was a staunch ally of the latter during the split and war against Shekau’s JAS (Boko Haram) and was a significant pillar in consolidating the gains captured from Shekau following his death and the mass defections from JAS to ISWAP.
-
News2 days agoAbu-Bilal al-Minuki: Deadly But Harmless Looking – Poison Dart Frog
-
News2 days agoSenate Rule Amendment: Debate Should Focus on Institutional Stability, Not Personalities – Eyiboh
-
Sports2 days agoAfrican Athletics Championship: Team Nigeria wins 12 medals
-
Business2 days ago63% of Nigerians want interest rates reduced – CBN
-
Business2 days agoPenCom bracing up to invest in Dangote Refinery’s IPO, urges PFAs
-
Business1 day agoDangote expands Investment in Ethiopia to $4bn
-
Politics1 day agoDesmond Elliot cries out, ‘My security taken away, what have I done?’
-
Sports1 day agoUNIDO Wins 16 Medals at United Nations Inter-Agency Games 2026
