Connect with us

Business

EU fines Apple and Meta €700m, risking Trump fury

Published

on

392 Views

Apple Inc. and Meta Platforms Inc. were hit by relatively modest European Union fines totaling €700 million ($798 million) for violating tough new antitrust rules for Big Tech, following warnings of harsh retaliation from US President Donald Trump.

EU regulators levied the penalties — €500 million against Apple and €200 million against Meta — under its Digital Markets Act, which includes a list of dos and don’ts mainly aimed at Silicon Valley giants.

“Apple and Meta have fallen short,” EU antitrust chief Teresa Ribera said on Wednesday.

“All companies operating in the EU must follow our laws and respect European values.”

The punishments — the first under the DMA — are far lower than previous penalties under traditional EU competition law, and are likely to be seen as an attempt to avoid further provoking Trump, who recently laid out a swath of tariffs on global economies.

He’s specifically called out the EU’s tech regulations as the kind of non-tariff trade barrier that his so-called reciprocal tariffs are intended to target.

The European Commission said that Apple had failed to allow developers to link out from its App Store in order to make sales outside of the company’s marketplace.

Meta’s business model for ad-free services on Instagram and Facebook also fell foul of the tech law, which gives regulators fining powers of up to 10% of a company’s global annual revenue.

Both firms must comply with the EU decision within 60 days, or face the risk of further financial penalties.

Apple was also warned that its new fee structure for app developers — itself a plan devised to comply with EU rules — isn’t in line with the EU Big Tech rulebook.

Apple responded fiercely to the EU penalty, accusing the bloc’s regulators of discriminating against the company and forcing it to give away its technology for free.

The Cupertino, California-based company said it would appeal the fine to the EU courts. Just last year, the company was hit with a €1.8 billion EU fine for shutting out music-streaming rivals on the iPhone.

Meta’s head of global affairs Joel Kaplan also hit back, saying the EU “is attempting to handicap successful American businesses while allowing Chinese and European companies to operate under different standards.”

The EU decision “isn’t just about a fine; the commission forcing us to change our business model effectively imposes a multi-billion-dollar tariff on Meta while requiring us to offer an inferior service,” said Kaplan.

“And by unfairly restricting personalized advertising the European Commission is also hurting European businesses and economies.

”The White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.Asked about whether the commission had deliberately kept the fines low to avoid provoking Trump, the Brussels-based EU commission said the fines were “proportionate” to the alleged gravity and duration of breaches of the DMA, which became applicable two years ago.

“This is about enforcement. It’s not about trade negotiations,” commission spokesperson Arianna Podesta told reporters.

Still, the size of the fines “suggest an easing of European regulatory pressure on US tech giants,” according to Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Tamlin Bason.

“Penalties under the competition law could have been as much as 10% of total revenue, but ended up being less than 0.15% of each company’s 2024 sales, likely reflecting caution on aggressive enforcement against a tense backdrop in US-EU relations,” Bason said.

Despite its fine, Apple did see EU watchdogs close an investigation into online browsers after it rejigged how it offers users more choice on their iPhones.

EU regulators also backtracked on their decision to target Facebook Marketplace under the DMA. Meta was hit by a €798 million EU fine for alleged abuses on that service last year under standard antitrust law.

Apple shares rose 3.5% and Meta advanced 7% in early New York trading while the S&P 500 Index was up 3%.

Over recent years the EU has made costly penalties against firms, including more than $8 billion in fines against Alphabet Inc.’s Google and a separate order for Apple to pay Ireland back taxes of €13 billion.

Under its abuse-of-dominance rules, it has also forced changes out of Amazon.com Inc.’s marketplace platform and Apple’s tap-and-go chip, while also investigating Microsoft Corp. video conference software, Teams.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

NRS Enforces Unified Tax ID system for all taxable persons in Nigeria

In addition, NRS said that the Tax ID framework would harmonise taxpayer information across all levels of government.

Published

on

By

28 Views

Nigeria Revenue Service (NRS), in collaboration with the Joint Revenue Board (JRB) commences the implementation of a new Taxpayer Identification (Tax ID) system for all taxable persons in Nigeria.

The agency announced this via a public notice issued on Monday.

NRS said that the initiative is in line with Sections 6, 7 and 8 of the Nigeria Tax Administration Act, 2025, which mandate every taxable person in the country to obtain a Tax ID.

The agency explains that taxpayers will now operate with a single tax identity for all tax-related transactions and engagements across the country.

The NRS added that the initiative would simplify tax compliance processes, including registration, tax filing, and payment procedures.

It also noted that the system would improve transparency by enabling better visibility and tracking of taxpayer records while reducing leakages and improving accountability in tax collection.

In addition, NRS said that the Tax ID framework would harmonise taxpayer information across all levels of government.

Continue Reading

Business

BOI Secures $200m fresh Loan from AfDB

Dr. Olasupo Olusi, MD/CEO Bank of Industry, said: “BOI is pleased to deepen its long-standing partnership with the African Development Bank through this landmark facility, building on the successful collaboration under the bank’s previous $100 million line to BOI, which was fully repaid in 2025.

Published

on

By

37 Views

The Bank of Industry (BOI) has secured a $200 million sovereign-guaranteed thematic financing facility from the African Development Bank Group for onward lending to enterprises in the industrial sector of the economy including infrastructure and transport, agro-food processing and health.

The facility will also support climate-resilient and low-carbon investments, including renewable energy, energy-efficient industrial processes, climate-smart agriculture, and sustainable infrastructure solutions.

These investments are expected to improve productivity, promote local manufacturing, strengthen healthcare and pharmaceutical value chains, and reduce dependence on imports.

The package is strengthened by a $650,000 technical assistance grant from the Fund for African Private Sector Assistance (FAPA) to boost SME capacity, improve environmental, social, and governance (ESG) practices, support climate-smart initiatives, and enhance BOI’s impact measurement systems.

Dr. Abdul Kamara, Director General of the African Development Bank Group Nigeria Country Department, said the approval demonstrates the Bank’s continued commitment to supporting Nigeria’s private sector and industrial growth ambitions.

Reacting, Dr. Olasupo Olusi, Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of the Bank of Industry, said: “BOI is pleased to deepen its long-standing partnership with the African Development Bank through this landmark facility, building on the successful collaboration under the bank’s previous $100 million line to BOI, which was fully repaid in 2025.

This new facility will further strengthen our capacity to provide long-term financing to enterprises operating in sectors critical to Nigeria’s economic transformation.

Continue Reading

Business

Dangote expands Investment in Ethiopia to $4bn

The expanded scope includes critical infrastructure such as a 110-kilometre pipeline, a 120MW power plant, a polypropylene packaging facility, and a two-million-tonne NPK blending plant, among other new components.

Published

on

By

43 Views

•Aliko Dangote

President of Dangote Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote has announced a significant increase in the Group’s investment in Ethiopia, rising from $2.5 billion to over $4 billion.

“This makes Ethiopia the second-largest recipient of our investments in Africa, accounting for nearly nine percent of our continental outlay between now and 2030,” said Dangote, describing Ethiopia as a key strategic destination for Dangote Group’s long-term investments.

The expanded scope includes critical infrastructure such as a 110-kilometre pipeline, a 120MW power plant, a polypropylene packaging facility, and a two-million-tonne NPK blending plant, among other new components.

Dangote stated this while addressing journalists in Gode, Ethiopia’s Somali region, during a high-profile visit hosted by Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, a statement by Dangote Group said.

According to the statement, the prime minister personally received Dangote and accompanied him to inspect the site of the proposed fertiliser plant, where construction activities are already underway.

Speaking on the strategic importance of fertiliser in agricultural productivity, Dangote noted that Africa’s food insecurity challenges were largely due to limited access to key inputs.

“Africa holds immense agricultural potential, yet continues to grapple with food insecurity due to limited access to fertiliser.

Through our investments, we are committed to reversing this trend by boosting productivity, empowering farmers, and advancing a sustainable path to food self-sufficiency”, he said.

Continue Reading

Trending