Connect with us

News

Enugu People Couldn’t Have Possibly Voted for You, Oriental Lawyers for Justice Replies New Governor

Published

on

530 Views

The leading non-governmental organisation (NGO) in Enugu State, Oriental Lawyers for Justice, has responded to claims by the newly sworn-in state governor, Peter Mbah, that Enugu people voted for the Labour Party in four of the five rounds of votes in the 2023 general election but cast their lot with him and the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the gubernatorial one held on March 18.


“There is nothing positively special about you and there is no way our people could have elected to pitch tent with the PDP after 24 years of state capture by the party”, the lawyers declared in a statement today in Enugu signed by its chairman, JohnBosco Aninwede, and the secretary, Mrs Ifeoma Ejike.

The Labour Party won seven out of the eight House of Representatives seats and two out of the three senatorial seats in the National Assembly election conducted on February 25 and its presidential candidate, Peter Obi, got 88.7% of the 456,424 votes in the presidential election held the same day.

The party won 14 out of the 24 House of Assembly seats election on March 18 while the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) controversially declared PDP’s Mbah the winner of the governorship contest held the same time.

Stated the Oriental Lawyers for Justice: “The last time you were in the news before you joined the governorship race was when the President Goodluck Jonathan’s government accused your Pinnacle Oil and Gas Company Ltd of deep involvement in the oil subsidy scam, with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) leading the charge.

“The Enugu people were not surprised because you had earlier been slapped with 31 offences by the EFCC following your role as the Chief of Staff and later the Commissioner for Finance under the Dr Chimaraoke Nnamani government from 2002 to 2007.

“You had a running battle with the EFCC for a whole 10 months which ended when Dr Nnamani reached a plea bargain deal with the anti-graft body, but not before several properties, the Cosmo FM station and the Rainbow Net Communications firm, among others worth billions of naira, were forfeited to the Federal Government because they were proceeds of crime”.

Stating that Mbah’s reputation as someone with a history of running battles with the EFCC could not have endeared him to Enugu voters, the NGO asserted that Mbah committed political suicide by relying on two former unpopular governors to deliver him in the governorship.


“Neither Dr Nnamani, who ran for the Enugu East senatorial zone”, said the Oriental Lawyers for Justice, “nor The Rt Hon Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, who ran for the Enugu North senatorial seat, could deliver themselves in the 2023 general election, and yet you depended on them entirely.


“Ugwuanyi, the serving governor, was defeated by Barrister Okey Ezeah of the Labour Party right in his polling booth, his polling unit, and in his hometown of Orba as well as in his Udenu Local Government Area, losing finally by 46,948 to 104,492 votes”.

As regards erstwhile Governor Nnamani, who is now an outgoing senator, the lawyers recalled how little-known Kelvin Ugwu defeated him by as many as 69,136 to 48,701 votes in the Enugu East senatorial race on March 18 after the assassination of Sir Kelvin’s elder brother, Barrister Oyibo Chukwu who was the original Labour Party candidate, on February 22, three days before the earlier scheduled senatorial election.

“It is certain that Senator Nnamani would have been defeated with a much larger number of votes if Chief Oyibo Chukwu, a former Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) chairman, had not been brutally murdered and had remained the LP’s candidate”, said the lawyers.

“After 24 years of Enugu State capture by the PDP, the Enugu people voted overwhelmingly for change, and so cast their lot with the Labour Party in the presidential, Senatorial, House of Representatives, House of Assembly and, of course, governorship elections.

“Mbah and the PDP must respect the people’s will”.

News

Burial begins for Oyo school teacher killed by JAS terrorist group

The deceased teacher is expected to be buried at his residence in the Owolake area of Ogbomoso.

Published

on

By

16 Views

The burial arrangements for Adesiyan Adegboye, the teacher killed during last Friday’s coordinated attack on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, began on Friday at Ayegun Baptist Church, Ogbomoso.

Adegboye, 49, was shot dead during the invasion carried out by armed bandits at Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, Community Grammar School, and L.A. Primary School, Esiele.

The deceased teacher is expected to be buried at his residence in the Owolake area of Ogbomoso.

The attackers reportedly stormed the schools around 9:30am, abducting several teachers and students during the operation that threw the communities into panic.

Following the incident, the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, visited the affected area on Saturday and ordered the deployment of additional detectives from the Force Headquarters in Abuja to support ongoing rescue efforts.

Continue Reading

News

FG launches GovGuideNigeria to boost citizens governance access

GovGuideNigeria platform is accessible through WhatsApp and the web, and is available in English, Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba to ensure wider accessibility for citizens across different linguistic backgrounds.

Published

on

By

22 Views

The Minister of Communications, Innovation, and Digital Economy, Dr Bosun Tijan, has said that Nigerians can now access the government information and services through the newly launched GovGuideNigeria.

The artificial intelligence-powered platform was launched on May 21 by the government in collaboration with Meta, the National Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (NCAIR), and local developer partner Publica AI.

According to the Minister, the platform is accessible through WhatsApp and the web, and is available in English, Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba to ensure wider accessibility for citizens across different linguistic backgrounds.

Tijani stated that the platform provides users with easy access to information from more than 35 federal ministries and over 60 government agencies.

He described the initiative as part of the government’s efforts to improve public service delivery through technology and digital innovation.

Sade Dada, Head of Public Policy, Meta, said during the launch “Meta’s open-source AI is critical to economic growth and productivity — and GovGuide Nigeria, is a clear example of what this looks like in practice.

Ignatius Willie, CEO, Publica AI said, “Today is not just a product launch. It is a step towards democratising how Nigerians engage with their government. With GovGuide Nigeria, we are not simply digitising access to public services; we are making them conversational, multilingual, and available on the channels Nigerians already use every day.

Continue Reading

News

DHQ says JAS terrorists carried out Oyo kidnap

The DHQ denied reports suggesting it referred to terrorists operating in the South-West as ordinary criminals, insisting that such interpretations were inaccurate and misleading.

Published

on

By

25 Views

Photo: Maj Gen Michael Onoja

The Defence Headquarters disclosed that the attackers behind the Oyo abduction were members of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad terrorist group displaced by sustained military offensives across the country.

Latest week, schools in communities at Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, were attacked by terrorists ; they abducted pupils, teachers and other residents from Community High School, Ahoro-Esinle.

The incident also left several persons dead, while one of the abducted teachers, Michael Oyedokun, was later killed after a video linked to the attack surfaced online.

In a statement signed by the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj Gen Michael Onoja, the DHQ confirmed said that the attack was perpetrated by terrorists of the JAS Group that have been dislodged from other parts of the country due to high-intensity operations being conducted all over the country.

The DHQ denied reports suggesting it referred to terrorists operating in the South-West as ordinary criminals, insisting that such interpretations were inaccurate and misleading.

“It is, therefore, inaccurate and misleading to suggest that the Defence Headquarters, at any point, referred to vicious and violent terrorists as criminals,” Onoja stated

Continue Reading

Trending